littleBIG

Day 1 meditating, feedback?

3 posts in this topic

I finally decided to start a meditation habit and I decided to go for 60 minutes today. I used the Do Nothing method. First thing I noticed is my face is insanely itchy. I feel extremely urged to scratch myself. I was able to control it and just thought "there's an itch, but I won't scratch it, let's see what will happen." Sure enough, after a while, the itch goes away but will emerge on a new spot. On only one occasion, I scratched it and it caught me off guard, because I didn't feel like I decided to scratch it, I felt like my body did that on its own and the decision happened very fast. 

The thing I'm having trouble with is thoughts. I wasn't sure if I was thinking or I was watching myself think. I did not know how to differentiate. A lot of times, when my brain was thinking something, I thought to myself "there's a thought! Watch it!" And when I try to watch the thought, it's already gone because I was thinking about watching it. A lot of times, when I try to watch the thoughts I take over the thinking. I will add on to the thoughts and continue the story. Sometimes I also lose focus on the thought and only realize I was thinking about something afterwards, like "oh I was thinking about cookies just now". 

I want to know, what was I doing right/wrong? How can I improve tomorrow? Thanks :)

Why don't you go in nature? Walk while you listen to the breath as much as you want. Just sitting and do nothing is for the advanced awakened ones. Don't get trapped into forcing things.