Matej

How to start working out?

30 posts in this topic

Have you ever tried pacing?  There are plenty of paths to follow once you get used to making time and consistently working out. My favorites are hiking, yoga and some leisurely biking.  Before I really had a good habit I found I wanted to just get moving without putting a lot of effort in, to make plans and go somewhere and follow through...so I would pace around my home.  It started to feel really good and I would talk on the phone and pace instead of sitting around,  long story short it got my heart rate up and lured me into being more active daily....  Try it if you haven't before, give it 10 minutes, be creative-try a few figure 8s.

Again, many thanks to everyone with great suggestions. Most likely I'll do a HIIT at least once a week and I'll get in touch with some yoga. Sure yoga isn't really for stengthening and/or building muscles but another thing I'd like to be able to do is full lotus sit.

Making friends interested in self-actualization and working out will sure be funny task to accomplish but I believe it'll work. And I can tell how important it is to have similar-minded friends, who can support in situations they know themselves.

There is ton of content on the internet as it is so it is more about filtering the results to what I'm all about.

Get an exercise buddy and you don't have to read all that makes you feel overwhelmed. Complexity is the enemy of execution. Find someone who is doing it already. Be friend with him, share with him your thing (We all have a thing that others can benefit from). If he find it interesting. He will make sure that your Butt is out of bed.

I think only a few equipments are needed: a pair of dumbbells, maybe a chair and that's all. If you have enough motivation you'll find so many videos and advices on the internet about working out at home. This is the cheapest and easiest way and this is how you should start working out. I started less than half a year ago but the results are already pretty good. I watch an episode of a series or watch a motivation video like Leo's  during the training and it makes the excersises more fun.

Edited by Woody

@Woody I really appreciate the kind of wokr-out using your body-weight. With all the things I do, every minute of a day is precious and spending it with transport is a little unnecessary, concidering you can achieve your goals at home. Sure there is the problem of lack of friends you could make in gym. There is a lot to think about and a lot of try-and-err. The key is determination.

@Matej The best kind of exercise is the one you'll do. If you like lifting weights, go lift. If you like yoga, do yoga. If you like to swim, swim. Start with a small, manageable habit, and strive to do a little more over time.

"Teach thy tongue to say 'I do not know', and thou shalt progress." - Maimonides

On 2/9/2016 at 1:49 AM, JevinR said:

Start Stronglifts 5x5 If you are a noob with no gains http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ Work on compound lifts, especially as a noob http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118920551 Bodybuilding.com is an excellent site, remember that your nutrition is x10 more important than what you are actually doing (exercises). So a simple way to both bulk and cut (bulk = Gain muscle) (Cut= Lose Fat) is to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, also to track all your calories, so you know whats going in and out, which is your macros. Macros is Protein, Fats and Carbs. Protein and Carbs = 4 calories/gram , Fat = 9 calories/gram. Use myfitnesspal.com to track calories, and use http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ 

Thats it, hours upon hours of pointless research composed in one paragraph - DONE

Yeah, do that.

"Teach thy tongue to say 'I do not know', and thou shalt progress." - Maimonides

On 2016. 02. 21. at 5:08 PM, Matej said:

@Woody I really appreciate the kind of wokr-out using your body-weight. With all the things I do, every minute of a day is precious and spending it with transport is a little unnecessary, concidering you can achieve your goals at home. Sure there is the problem of lack of friends you could make in gym. There is a lot to think about and a lot of try-and-err. The key is determination.

If i lived in a city probably I would visit a gym once or twice a week. I need to commute every day and it would take too much of my time after school or work so now home workout is the best solution for me, but I think every beginner should start it at home. If you are determined enough you can go on the next step and buy a gym monthly pass. Most people are very enthusiastic in the first weeks and go to the gym but they still eat junkfood and they have no order and discipline in their days.

@Woody Yeah, people have funny expectations sometimes. My firends decide to keep a diet, manages to accomplish four weeks or so and then gets back to eating nonsense again.

I prefer excersising at home and then go to the gym when I'll feel more capable. For now I don't think I'd have much to do there except for being awkward. I'll gain some strength and make a routine at home first.