GodelEscherBach

Classical Pianist/conductor/teacher Vs Accountant/finance Manager/cfo

4 posts in this topic

Hi 

I have to decide between:

Option A:

Getting a part time job (to pay rent and bills) and practice like there's no tomorrow to improve so I can have students at home as well as doing concerts or teaching in a Conservatory. and with time becoming a Conductor. $40K salary if I am lucky

I have 10 years playing piano, starting to get advanced now, but I could progress faster without a 9 - 5 job plus commute. Very passionate and extremely disciplined with studying every single day. 

I jump from bed every day at 6 am and run to the piano to practice till 8:30ish am when i need to leave to go to the Office. 

Option B

Becoming an Accountant.

I have 3 years experience in the field. I like the job. My company is willing to pay for my degree. Will definitely give me job security and a six digits salary. $100K at least and increasing every year, more if i become manager.

Option C

Go to Uni, learn about business and accounting, get a better job, earn money to invest in opening a Conservatory or a Music School. 

However that means 3/4 years of studying and working in something that I like but not love and also 60 hours per week that I am not studying Piano which I love.

Additional info: 

• overstudying Piano is like overtraining, at the gym, it can become counterproductive.
  • I am 30 years old.

Thank you All!

It's your choice - do what feels right and change when it don't feels right any more. I would probably choose option A or C. With option B you can get lots of money but during this period of time you can do anything else ....

I can tell you that I always wanted to make music (I play piano as well). I'm 36 years old now. 10 years ago I've dropped my computer science study and opened up a webdesign company with my best friend. It went not very well, then I got into the SEO and online marketing biz and eventually promoting FOREX trading accounts now. You can get really much bucks there and I am trading also for myself. A few years ago I've finally realized that this isn't what I want to do. The whole business is really sick. I'm selling dreams ("get rich now!!") .... so now I'm trying to get somehow into the music business. I've realized this also far more years ago but perhaps the suffering wasn't big enough to made a change ....

So if you are really into music you should go this way and not the way of making much money with some crap financial stuff ....

Get a part-time job and do music. How on earth can you even compare it to accounting?! Music is a lifestyle, accounting is a job. 

What would you do if money was not an issue?

(I've seen this question on this forum, in a similar topic and think it can give you a quick hint without overthinking)

Edit-> For the overtraining part...

It may be true, but I remeber reading things about Arnold Schwarzenneger doing lots of things that most budilybuilders would strongly disapprove. 

Edited by Seven