Quantum Mechanics Debunks Materialism - Part 2

By Leo Gura - March 12, 2018 | 11 Comments

Quotations from the founding fathers of quantum mechanics in support of mysticism.

Comments
Mayur says:

But leo, you are trying to distract me from distraction !

Robert says:

Great!

Robert says:

One objection though, at 1:17:50 you say there is no perception, no mind stuff…that seems right but also you say no consciousness. Without consciousness how are you aware of that undefinable being or the “right now”?

Vito says:

Good questiion

Martin says:

“(…)The world is to be understood, not in the dualistic terms of atoms (things of one kind) that move in the framework and container of space and time (another quite different kind of thing), but in terms of more fundamental entities that fuse space and matter into single notion of a possible arrangement, or configuration, of the entire universe(…)
Space and time in their previous role as the stage of the world are redundant. There is no container. The world does not contain things, it is things. These things are Nows that, so to speak, hover in nothing. Newtonian physics, Einstein’s relativity and quantum mechanics will all be seen to do different things with the Nows(…)”

from Julian Barbour’s ‘The end of time – The next revolution in physics’ – the must read book

Ebbot says:

Some questions keeps coming up for me here: Why is it the right direction for us to seize our existence as human beings and become infinite? Why is the ultimate goal to become aware of this in our limited human life if we are this ultimate infinity anyway?

When I try to answer these questions for myself I cant seem to come up with a non egoistic answer (but I do accept being egoistic).

Given that the delusion of materialism is necessary for the human experience, what makes the paradigm shift you speak about likely. And why is it the right way forward? The obvious answers to that one seem moralizing because we have to say that the world should be in some different, better way. More than that the direction of our science and academics seem completely insignificant in an infinite perspective. Maybe that explains why people who experience absolute infinity don’t really care to make a display of it or changes in human society.

Love your talks. These were true eye openers. Hearing the words of some of our greatest scientists really highlighted the significance of your work and made the delusive nature of our current paradigm more apparent.

michael abitbol says:

excellent man, you’re putting out great shit

Vik says:

Is this broken?
How do I post a message here?
All I get is: Invalid Message: Special Characters Not Allowed

Vik says:

Namaste Leo Gura
At the age of 16 (circa 1975) a friend and I awakened in a series of conversations and the implications have weighed upon us ever since. My tech career is complete and I have retired to full time contemplation. I came across your work and am stunned by your progress in non-duality. I am delighted with the correlation of mysticism and physics. Like myself you are unable to escape the dualistic distinctions in presenting the ineffable. “We cannot talk about the fundamental aspects of reality without contradiction ourselves” (but yet we just did; but yet we understand being caught in the logical loop). “Paradox is not a bug it’s a feature”. The distinction between dualism and non-dualism is itself an example of dualism and we cannot escape this logical loop. The only path to the equivalence of self and universe is to begin with such a distinction in the first place. We understand the semantic impossibility of expressing non-dualism directly. Of particular appeal is the correspondence of QM interpretations with experience in general. The quest for the theory of everything leads to the mystical ontology you present. It has been my life passion to reconcile the mystical experience with science, philosophy, and theology. My experience of unity denies such compartmentalized view of reality. I have a great deal to add to your conversation. I am willing to donate some of my research to your effort. Perhaps you would consider a brief essay contribution. Example topics: Physics as mindcraft. What your math teacher didn’t tell you. Cognitive evolution. The mystique of empirical science. Circles in epistemology. Or whatever topic you would find useful to the research at hand. Consider this offer prayerfully. Vik.

Pablo says:

Im not sure its valid to use quantum mechanics in our scale the effects do exist but are insignifican so yes we can wallow in the myer of quantum weirdness but that is probably not the reality we live in I do think conscious is an illusion of our biological evolved brain but more because of the way Dr Michael Graciano explains it in his Atention Schema theory its information so its not a thing By seeing this through introspection do we get to something more thats were IM stuck

Outlandish says:

This is excellent, I can’t begin to imagine how many hours of research went into this presentation. The epic quote from Albert Einstein was literally jaw-dropping for me, and I was especially excited to hear David Bohm quoted, whose writing I’ve found to be very profound and mind-expanding.

Unfortunately my mp3 player choked on the file around 1hr so I have to stream the remainder from video at some later time to complete this.

Question for Leo: did you keep a list of references for these quotes? I would be interested to read the sources of some of these, in particular the work that the Einstein one came from.