Reply to Will AI cause humans to live forever? What would you do if you could live forever?

jimwell
By jimwell,
Becoming immortal in this century is a pipe dream. Staying alive for a few hundred years is not possible within 30 years.   Many years ago, I used to struggle with the fact that I am mortal and will die in the future. Death makes life empty because all your experiences, accomplishments, and even memories will all be wiped out when you die. When you're dead, it feels as if you have never been born. If you understand I'm saying, it will be obvious to you that death renders life empty (other humans use the words "pointless" and "meaningless." to describe it). When I finally discovered the ultimate purpose of my human existence, the depression and lamentation about the fact of death significantly decreased. Instead, I started to feel deep joy, love, excitement, and peace regularly. It's still clear that death renders life empty, but it feels it has a noble purpose, is beautiful, and is worth living. During those years of depression, lamentation, and nihilism; I wanted to live eternally. I felt that would be the only way for my life to have meaning and value. In retrospect, it was foolish of me to desire immortality. I would want to live for a few hundred years so I can maximize the accomplishment of the purpose of my human existence. I feel that staying alive for less than one hundred years is too short. I have too many plans and ambitions. I have too many concubines, wives, parks, hills, walking paths, songs, articles, videos, birds, dogs, lakes, cuisines, technological advancements, houses, etc., to enjoy, appreciate, and create. But I would NOT want to be immortal. It's clear to me now that being immortal is the worst mental-emotional torture God could ever inflict on its creatures. That might sound surprising, but it is the case. It's because I am limited. All the beautiful things I can enjoy, appreciate, and create will always be limited. More importantly, I myself am limited. My intelligence, perception, senses, and capacity to appreciate, enjoy, and create beauty are limited. After a few hundred years of human life, I would be sick of all the things I used to enjoy and admire. That's what being limited means. Hence, it is appropriate that my lifespan should also be limited. God seems to know what it's doing after all via the creation of death.