Reply to Thoughts and insights

Jannes
By Jannes,
Death is a concept Why do you think death is real? You say it’s obvious, we see people, animals and plants dying all the time so of course death is real. But death isn’t a body falling dead it’s the actual experience and the experience death is not a fact. The philosophical mind body problem would need to be solved for that. 
When I was a child the topic of introducing the concept of death wasn’t easy for my parents. My younger 3 year old sister at the time found a dead mouse once and my parents chatted about how this must have probably opened her to the possibility that death is a fact. That’s how death gets introduced. We see other dead creatures and wonder what we will experience if we ever fall dead. So death is a concept that we learn. Death is not an a priori fact about life. When we question our assumptions about death we learn that they are actually just assumptions and not reality. What death literally is for me is a combination of „lonely, cold, fear, dismal, oppressive, a bit of agoraphobia, uncomfortable, cold wind breathing through a terrible cave, heavy metal music, ..“. That’s what death literally is. These beliefs are of course laughable. We don’t think that this is what we mean when we talk about death but because we hold these beliefs unconscious and because these beliefs are so terrible that we don’t dare to make them conscious death seems super real for our entire life.