Reply to Ephemeral

LastThursday
By LastThursday,
Should there be a women only section to the forum? And how would it work? From a detached viewpoint I can see there's an imbalance to this forum. Imbalances always cause problems of majority groupthink, suppression of the minorities (even if not intended), and implicit bias towards the concerns of the majority.  I know for a certain fact that women are no more or less able to take on the task of self actualisation and spirituality than men. This should be reflected on the forum and on Actualized in general. Women are just as numerous as men in the population and this should be represented here too. A women only section to the forum could be set up. It would just be a general section where anything can be posted. Everyone would be able to see all the posts and replies, but only women would be able to post and reply. This can be controlled through the gender option on a member's profile.  There would have to be some nuance to using the gender option. All members can choose to have a gender or not disclose this at all. On top of that a member can disclose their gender, but not have it displayed on their profile. However, only members who identify as "female" can post in the new forum (whether shown on their profile or not). To stop abuse, all new or existing members have one chance to change their gender after which it is locked. After that only a mod can change your gender for you. And as a further safeguard only a female mod can change your gender to "female". Only female moderators would be allowed to moderate the new sub-forum. Only female moderators can post in the sub-forum. This would exclude Leo himself (he is male), and he would have to comment only indirectly through a female moderator. Having a women only sub-forum will have several benefits. It will give women a "safe space" away from male trolling, gaslighting, adversarial style interaction and sexism. But it will also allow discussion of more female centric subjects and concerns. It will start off slowly but I think it would gather momentum over time and have a virtuous effect on the rest of the forum - by redressing the imbalance. With my programmer's head on, the changes required to set this up would be minor (an extra column in the member's table in the database to indicate the gender is locked). And then a few "if" statements to control who can post in the new sub-forum based on the gender field. And a couple of changes to the UI to accommodate all this. Of course, I wouldn't be allowed on there either, but that's a small price to pay.