The Last of Us Part I & II - The Best Video Game of All Time

The Mystical Man
By The Mystical Man in Off-Topic: Pop-Culture, Entertainment, Fun,
In my opinion, this is the greatest video game ever created. Everything about it is amazing: the art direction, the graphics, the animations, the gameplay, the level design, the sound design, the music, the acting, and, of course, the story. It's all top-notch. I can't play other games anymore. Neil Druckmann and everyone at Naughty Dog are extremely talented. No other game company manages to reach these incredibly high quality standards: When Naughty Dog made Uncharted, they wanted to make a playable movie. With The Last of Us, they achieved a playable TV Series, because the story is long, and the cast is big.  As a culture, we don't celebrate the beauty of The Last of Us enough because of the medium: it's a video game, which isn't accessible enough. If it was a TV Series, more people would know about it and love it. Fortunately, HBO is making a TV Series.  The more time passes, the more I love Part II. I'm even tempted to say that it's better than Part I, but I like to think of it as one big story. In his book "Story", Robert McKee writes: "Drove to an Act Two climax so moving that I thought the story was over. And yet, out of the ashes of the second act, this writer created a third act of such power, such beauty, and such magnificence." Part II did that multiple times. You think the story is coming to an end, but you get one more act. Druckmann is a McKee fan, too, and that's why Naughty Dog's stories are the best.
  • 68 replies