How to relate to Male emotions and understand my man better?

Preety_India
By Preety_India in Dating, Sexuality, Relationships, Family,
I really really deeply love this man and I think he would make a great partner. This is the first time I'm falling for a guy who is super emotional and sensitive and not like  the cocky ones I used to date before.  So recently I have found a guy who lives in the US and we have known each other before. It's a long distance relationship. We chat for hours. I have fallen hard for him. He likes me too. He is cute and sexy.  He prefers to keep to himself and doesn't open up much. He is a very emotional guy/sentimental type. He has cried before and language he uses is generally emotional. We bond with each other over our shared emotional nature.  The thing is sometimes when he shares emotional/sad things with me, I tend to laugh a little inside. (I don't show that I'm secretly laughing at him or just not able to relate). I find it hard to empathize with him because I don't expect him to be weak or fragile or sensitive. The whole idea that a man should not be vulnerable/emotional is baked in my head. I don't laugh at him obviously so it doesn't show.  Whenever a female friend cries her pain out with me, I immediately relate and cry with her. Not with this man.  Of course I don't have bad intent and I would love to be his emotional supporter but I'm struggling in this capacity.  But when he does open up, I end up  showing superficial empathy yet I can't really relate to his anxieties and frustrations and issues as a man. I find it hard to grasp how he feels or how he is going to react to whatever I have to say and as a result we get into fights later. I cannot preemptively judge the situation and that causes me to not be emotionally aligned with him, my responses causing more harm than good. He detects my lack of sensitivity or finds it odd to open up to me and recoils back into his shell..  How can I (as a female) understand and relate to Male emotions better?    Thanks.   
  • 11 replies