Why do I think that I'm dumb/foolish and what can be done about it?

Preety_India
By Preety_India in Personal Development -- [Main],
I don't know why the previous topic was locked, that was ridiculous that it was locked when I was asking a genuine question.  Am I really dumb or is this just a thought? Is it even healthy to ask myself this. I have been questioning my own intelligence recently in terms of how I make choices in my life. I don't think I have made good choices. I think consistently making bad choices could be a sign of foolishness?  Am I very dumb? And please don't answer it as simply yes or no. I'm looking for some insights into what a person can do if they think they have done some dumb things in life and it they don't want their pattern of behavior to repeat.  This question comes to my mind very often. I don't know if it's healthy to ask myself such a question. Because it's hard to analyze myself.  So i think it's best to ask other people.  Am I really stupid or is this just my insecurity?  I'm not talking about IQ here. Just general.  Also is there a way to know if you're acting stupid in your life.  Additional info — I was born underweight and I was born a premature baby according to my mom.  I was good at school grades but not good at social skills, and lacked general wisdom.  I'm not sure if my birth factors count. But just wanted to throw in that info. Also is there a difference between dumb and immature?  I did some dumb things in life like not looking after my own well being and not getting out of toxic relationships.  Also I'm a bit slow. Quite slow. Much slower than others.. This is not just a comparison but an observation.  I'm open to criticism. Don't be afraid to tell me if you think I'm dumb according to you.  Someone said to me that it's a good sign if I'm thinking about whether you are dumb or not. Because stupid people don't understand that they are stupid. "The Dunning-Kruger effect is a type of cognitive bias in which people believe that they are smarter and more capable than they really are. Essentially, low ability people do not possess the skills needed to recognize their own incompetence. The combination of poor self-awareness and low cognitive ability leads them to overestimate their own capabilities. The term lends a scientific name and explanation to a problem that many people immediately recognize—that fools are blind to their own foolishness. As Charles Darwin wrote in his book The Descent of Man, "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." https://www.verywellmind.com/an-overview-of-the-dunning-kruger-effect-4160740   But I doubt this. I do believe that even people who generally act dumb or foolish can actually question their stupid decisions if they see they are constantly getting into trouble.  Help me with some insights.  I'm looking for the kind of intelligence that helps a person take proper decisions in important areas like relationships and family where emotions tend to cloud your judgement.    Also what kind of potential or intelligence (I mean how would you define it), is necessary for a person to be good at looking after their well being? I mean how would you define such capability? I seriously lack in the department of "well-being of self" and I tend to be quite stupid around it. I'm trying hard to figure out why I'm being so stupid with my own well being and how I can resolve this?   
  • 48 replies