How should you deal with someone who only wants to keep up appearances?

Preety_India
By Preety_India in Mental Health, Serious Emotional Issues,
So my mom wants to invite a few people over, in short she wants to arrange a party.  I don't wish to be a part of all her extroverted activities especially parties and stuff because I can't fake smile at people. I have never met these people and I don't feel comfortable around people who are complete strangers.  Plus I have just recently recovered from an illness and I'm looking forward to a long recuperation, at least for 1-2 months. I have been feeling weak and drained most of the time.  Morning I had a big argument with my mom that I don't want these people at our place. And I kept insisting that i don't like it. She is forcing me to join the get together and I don't wish to be a part of it. My relationship with my mom is somewhat strained due to many reasons. We never get along. I don't like to do things for appearances. She likes to keep up appearances and she wants to show that we are perfect mother and daughter. But I'm not interested. If I don't feel comfortable, I don't like to do things just to impress society.  How should I deal with such a situation.  I have decided that I won't be a part of her party or whatever nonsense she does.   
  • 19 replies