Reply to Psychoanalyzing Myself

soos_mite_ah
By soos_mite_ah,
My First Job Out of College I landed my first job out of college in December and I've been working for 4 weeks so far so I thought I'd make a little post detailing how I feel about this so far.  Pros:  Benefits and pay is pretty good  I'm making roughly $65k a year and I feel that this is pretty good for someone who just graduated college. It's definitely enough to support myself in the Dallas area.  I am getting paid hourly so that means they aren't about to overwork me without giving me overtime.  I have pretty good health insurance, better than what I had before with my parents.  I have bereavement, and maternity leave along with 10 paid holidays, 15 vacation days (= 3 weeks of vacation), and 5 sick days. I feel like this is pretty good considering that I live in the U.S. 90% of my job is remote and the company doesn't care about me coming into the office so long as I do my job. So far I have taken naps, showered, and made lunch and dinner from scratch during my breaks. I'm also so thankful for not having to commute and deal with traffic on the regular basis. I really like the flexibility that I have here.  Overall work culture is pretty chill.  Generally speaking, I'm not picking up on any red flags here.  The one time I went into the office, everyone was super nice and generally it felt like this wasn't a super corporaty environment. At most people were wearing business casual and most people showed up with jeans and a nice shirt and a handful of people had colored hair, visible tattoos and piercings. Overall, this company doesn't give a fuck so long as you're doing what needs to get done.  Generally I'm picking up on a good work-life balance. I can tell most people in this company prioritizes having a life outside of work and it doesn't feel like an overbearing culture where people gossip a lot or put a lot of social emphasis on the work climate especially since most people are working from home.  The job that I'm doing itself does not seem like super stressful work. Like it seems pretty chill and straightforward but I do think there is a bit of learning curve as you're getting used to their software. But most of the people I'm working with are pretty understanding with that and I don't think people are going to hold it against me.  Supervisors seem pretty accomodating and if they can't, they usually have a good reason.  Most people stick around in this company for +5 years. I feel like this is a good thing because in the last company I worked at, most everyone was either new or wasn't at the company for longer than 3 years and there was a reason for that. That reason being that the company was over working people and expanding way too quickly to where there was high turnover. And I don't think that this is the case with this company. That isn't to say that these people are stagnant, most of them do have a decent degree of career progression as well.  Decent learning and development/ promotion opportunities I am noticing that a lot of people in my position do get a promotion about a year or so into this work and over all I can see a similar path of advancement as far as time lines go. If I do end up loving this job, I will have a lot of clarity in my career.  This company does a good job in investing in training for their employees which I really respect. There are also a lot of resources that you can utilize as well which is always a good thing when trying to pick up new skills.  Multiple locations  Given my nature of work, I feel like it would be pretty easy if I were to move elsewhere to be transferred into a team in a different location. I feel like this can be a huge plus as someone who is fresh out of college and is still figuring a lot of things out. And I mean, one of the main headaches that comes with trying to relocate is trying to find a job in the place you're trying to go and I think that wouldn't be as much of an issue if I were to stay with this company.  Cons:  Not super well aligned with my values. I do think that the company over all and the people have similar values as me and does spend a lot of time and energy in various social responsibility projects. They also seem to go about in a pretty healthy and authentic way. I also feel that our values align in the way that the work culture operates. However, this company does make software for property management companies and the thought of me helping make a landlord's life easier doesn't really sit well with me lol. I get doing things for commercial real estate because the whole point is for businesses and profits, but I have a whole thing about thinking it's unethical to treat residential properties as some kind of investment because that is something people need to live and is a basic human right. I don't think they are full on unethical but I can see how they can indirectly contribute to things that are harmful.   I don't know if I will like the job. I'm currently in training for my role and the job itself doesn't seem too bad but I do get the impression that at times it's going to be repetitive and annoying. I also don't see much purpose filled work here. I think I will know about this better when I actually start working but I'm not too concerned about this because it is a starting point for me to figure out what I want to do and what I like/don't like in a job. In the mean time, I'm going to enjoy having decent pay and benefits in a healthy work environment to ease into this next chapter of my life. I also get this feeling I might get bored of this job in a few years lol.  Things that would be nice in the future In my future job after this one I think its naive to think that I will be in this company for my entire career trajectory and I think as I learn more about the kinds of roles I want and what is generally out there that it doesn't hurt to have something in mind that is a step up from what I have right now.   Unlimitted PTO and sick days OR being in a country that really prioritizes this: While I am pretty content with my PTO package as of right now, I know there are places in this world that have a MINIMUM of 4 weeks PTO (I currently have 3) and has more legal protection regarding minimum maternity leave laws. This is something that I can see caring a lot more in the future especially if I decide to settle down with a family. I feel like moving to a different country is a whole nother thing I could make a post about.  Flexible working hours: I heard this was a thing and I would've loved if that was the case for me. I am working for an hourly wage as of right now and it makes sense for my role if I'm going to be honest but I feel that if I were to work in a salaried job that I would expect flexible working hours and a decent work culture so that they don't try to over work me.  Paying for grad school: This company does cover a little bit of it but they told me they won't cover it if it doesn't directly have to do with my job. That isn't bad but since I'm still figuring my stuff out, what if I realize that I want to pursue something else? I get that this isn't favorable to the company which I understand but still lol.  Something more aligned with my values and has more purpose: See, but at first I need to know for myself what that looks like so while I do have a stable job right now, Imma use that stability to explore what other roles there are out there for me to find more fulfillment.  More money: I'm happy with what I have but I mean, why wouldn't I want more as I get older and have more experience off my belt.   Over all thoughts: 
I think that this is a good start considering I am a fresh graduate. I feel pretty good about this job and this company even though I have a couple hang ups here and there.  I am very greatful about where I landed because not everyone has it this good after graduating. I am fortunate to be working at a company that has reasonable hours, a chill culture, and compensates me well enough to where I have a lot of peace of mind. I also consider myself incredibly lucky in the way that I only applied to like 10 jobs and I landed this role less than 2 weeks after graduating college.