Moving Out with Narcissistic Parents

Vision
By Vision in Personal Development -- [Main],
This is something I've been wanting to do not only to individuate myself, but also because I want to leave my narcissistic parents.  From Wikipedia, Narcissistic parent: “Typically, narcissistic parents are exclusively and possessively close to their children and are threatened by their childrens growing independence. This results in a pattern of narcissistic attachment, with the parent considering that the child exists solely to fulfill the parent's needs and wishes. A narcissistic parent will often try to control their children with threats and emotional abuse. Personal boundaries are often disregarded with the goal of molding and manipulating the child to satisfy the parent's expectations.” "Narcissists seek to control the behavior of others, particularly that of their children whom they view as extensions of themselves." "They may reproach their children for exhibiting weakness, being too dramatic, being selfish, or not meeting expectations." "Children of narcissists typically do not have many memories of having felt loved or appreciated for being themselves. Instead, they associate their experience of love and appreciation with conforming to the demands of the narcissistic parent." This exactly describes my parents. There is so much codependency, emotional invalidation, conditional love, narcissism, manipulation, and toxicity in the way they treat me.  To be clear, I am not demonizing my parents or anyone in my family as if they are "evil" people. I am just describing the situation as it is. I understand why they are the way they are. In previous generations, it was common for parents in my culture to be extremely harsh and do things that would be considered abusive and illegal in today's age. My parents are just acting out the conditioning they got from their parents/my grandparents.    I have about $70,000 left in savings from an online business that I used to run. This may have actually contributed a bit to some of my health problems as I was working pretty much all day, every day, it was unsustainable. I need to learn more about financial literacy as I'm not too sure what to do with this money at the moment other than fund my health treatment, invest in self-help material, and save it. But I have enough to move out.  Here’s what's stopping me (hopefully just for now): 1. I just turned 16. I won't have full sovereignty for 2 more years.  2. My parents are heavily against the idea. Eastern culture (or at least South Asian culture) is heavily steeped in Stage Blue. It is a HUGE stigma/taboo for men to live away from their parents. It is acceptable for women as women are expected to move into their husband's house (where the husband's parents also live) and become housewives while the husband works. This is the case with my parents. They want to control my decision in who to marry, they expect me to live with them, and expect me to take them with me wherever I live or stay. I've tried talking to my dad a few times about my plan on moving out when I'm old enough and he freaked out every time.  These are some of the things he says to me (translated to English): "I've raised you since you were a baby, and this is what you want to do!?" "You are my son! Of course we are supposed to live together!" "You are being influenced by western culture. In our culture, family comes first! We always stay together" - It's more like family enmeshment. It's not like living away from each other means that we can't talk to each other, but they demand more. He always talks about how depression rates are higher in western culture than in "our culture" and it seems like that fuels his confirmation bias. He has a huge bias against western culture.  After these conversations, my dad seems to be upset with me for a day or two. Then everything seems to go back to "normal".   I've thought about leaving without notice when I'm old enough and completely cutting ties with my parents.  The other idea is to try to get them to accept my decision to move out. Make them understand that relying on me to take responsibility for their lives invalidates my individuality and makes their relationship to me codependent and toxic. I've tried this before, but they just call me selfish and not the son they know.    Besides trying more to make them understand me, it seems like the only other option is to cut them off completely. I'm leaning more towards the former, I still hope that we can establish a good rapport, but I lose hope the more I try.  What can I do in this situation?
  • 9 replies