Hyper-Sensitivity Towards Others

Gianna
By Gianna in Mental Health, Serious Emotional Issues,
I have chronic sensitivity towards others and their feelings. For instance, just today I was at Trader Joes. I noticed before that this Trader Joes always has a rotating staff, or at least a very big one. I never see the same people in there consistently. I thought one time, "Hm. You know what, I always see new workers when I'm here." Yet today, I saw a guy two days in a row, so when he said, "Hey! Did I see you yesterday?" at the cash register I said, "Yes!", and I told him about my thoughts of never seeing the same people in there twice. 

Immediatly after I said that, I felt as if I offended his coworker next to him. What if I had seen him before and didn't recognize it and now I had just said that? I now have chronic anxiety/anxiousnesses, overthinking, guilt, regret, etc. This happens often and I'm needing to get to the bottom of my chronic overthinking, chronic over-analyzing and hypersensitvity. I'm super careful and nuerotic of the words I use constantly because I know how much weight they could carry and what they could imply. But this overthinking and anxiousness is driving me mad! Even though I've had it my entire life. 

I was thinking this problem might stem from some sort of self-obsession– why do I believe I have influence over other's feelings? Yet, I feel this way even if it's not me saying or doing anything. If it's someone I am with that is acting in a way I feel would offend someone or make them feel humilated or guilty I have the same reaction. I understand its good to have empathy but I feel like this is an extreme level of mindfulness/consideration and it drives my mind right into paranoia.

Also, I don't think this comes from a past experience of hurt, at least not one I can remember! I did fine in school socially and always surrounded myself with friends who were more mature than that.

Any advice? 
  • 5 replies