Is All Survival Selfish?

soos_mite_ah
By soos_mite_ah in Personal Development -- [Main],
I've been contemplating the relationship between survival and selfishness for the last few days. In a lot of cases, survival can be separate from selfishness imo because just because you do something that serves you doesn't mean you are taking advantage of others or demeaning them. For instance, recognizing your emotional needs and finding ways to meet them consciously, setting boundaries to ensure that you don't get into unhealthy situations that jeopardize your physical and emotional health, and finding a really grounding and conscious life purpose are all forms of survival yet they aren't selfish. I think it's important to be able to differentiate between survival and selfishness. Selfishness on the other hand is when someone tries to achieve survival in unconscious means. Now, I guess where things can get tricky is determining what is conscious survival and unconscious survival because you have a bias oriented towards the priorities of your current stage of development. I guess what I'm trying to say is that all selfishness is survival at work but all survival isn't selfishness. 
  • 62 replies