How I Fu***d up on a fender bender

AnthonyR
By AnthonyR in Life Purpose, Career, Entrepreneurship, Finance,
I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, with the exception of these life incidents that throw me off and make me feel like an idiot. STORY TIME: Last week when I was driving home, I had to brake hard to avoid hitting another vehicle that abruptly stopped in front me.  The reason the vehicle in front of me came to a halt was due to a silly goose crossing the street.  Fortunately I was able to brake in time and avoided a collision with the vehicle.  However the person behind me was not able to brake in time and collided with my vehicle. Now I'm fairly level headed and I'm not someone who gets annoyed easily, and I was able to keep my cool and even felt some sympathy for the individual who hit me, understanding that if I was in her situation, I would have probably collided as well.  So when this lady collided with me; I had some feelings of annoyance creep up alongside some feelings of remorse and decided on the spot that I would stay positive about this experience and deal with it calmly. even through I was feeling some stress because I hate getting into these situations. Who does? So we both pulled over to inspect the damage, It wasn't anything major, just a cracked rear bumper on my vehicle with very little damage to the vehicle that hit me.  I figured the cost of the damage would be negligible on my vehicle - and this is where I went wrong !! Now on situations like this, the proper procedure would be to exchange information such as Insurance, contact, take photos etc, but as all this was happening I wasn't thinking straight.  The lady who hit me suggested that we exchange numbers and I should then let her know the cost of damage etc and we would deal with it that way. Like an idiot I agreed and went along with it, I completely trusted her with no ounce of mistrust on my part.  We parted ways and then a few minutes after getting back inside my vehicle it hit me like a ton of bricks, that I was too quick to simply trust her.  WHAT THE HELL !! I know the process !! I'm familiar with it, but yet when it happened, it completely threw me off and now i feel like an idiot.  I realize she got away with this and is probably grinning all over because she played well and i easily trusted her. The end result of all this: After taking it to the bodyshop to get it inspected it is going to cost me close to $1500 (Canadian) to get it fixed up  - Replacing the cracked bumper, labour, sensors, and Rental for 3 days of work.  I texted her the estimate and now she is gone all silent, ignoring my calls and text, and not cooperating in the matter to try and resolve this. I am blaming myself for not doing due diligence, for letting her play me, and for my failure to think through the situation as it was happening.  I can understand that when these things happen it can be really stressful and it is during these times that I fail to think clearly and do what is necessary and end up getting myself into more of a jam. I also know that if the roles were reversed, and I ended up hitting her, I would fully cooperate with her to get the matter resolved.  So it bothers me that people still feel no empathy and fail to take any responsibility in doing the right thing.  Fuckin sucks !!
  • 6 replies