Reply to Journey to Nothing

LastThursday
By LastThursday,
I love the time travel genre of films and tv and books. Some of my favourites are Doctor Who and Looper and The Time Traveller's Wife and the Time Machine. But there are hundreds of examples of flashbacks which is just time travel in the subjunctive and dystopian video games set in the future, The Last Of Us. I'm not sure where my love of messing around in time came from. But it's most probably from these sort of media. I think when you live long enough you watch the world around you slowly morph into something unrecognisable yet familiar. It's an odd sensation whenever I pay attention to it, and on occasion it would be good to revisit that familiar past or at least be able to re-evaluate it with older wiser eyes. Strangely my way into to Actualized was via Reddit. I went through a longish phase of browsing through r/Glitch_in_the_Matrix. Some of the stories on there were mundane and dubious, but some I found super interesting. The infamous one being "The Lamp", where some college kid gets hit on the head and is out cold. During his unconscious state he lives an different life time, gets married has a kid and so on. Then one day he notices there's some wrong with his lamp in his room and it starts to warp and he suddenly wakes up and is back to being a college kid with concussion. He's devasted to have lost his alternate reality family. Great story. But there are other superb stories where people are walking familiar routes and all becomes unusually quiet and there are no people. Or stories where holiday trippers are driving through towns that don't exist on maps, never to be found again after trying to re-visit them. Or kids on buses stuck in time-loops where they keep seeing the same buildings or people every few minutes. If any one of these stories is true, then reality is a lot more malleable than I'm experiencing right now. My experience of reality is rock solid and unrelenting, it has the same "feel" day in and day out, stuff just doesn't "glitch". But I'm pretty convinced despite first hand evidence that glitches do occur, and even better it's possible to make glitches happen. There's even a guy out there that thinks he's cracked it and can make glitches happen by holding contradictory thoughts simultaneously - his theory being that the near future is shaped by our thoughts, and that by thinking one thing and doing something completely counter to that, reality glitches. I have two personal experiences of stuff being weird and incongruous, perhaps even glitchy. One is where I was walking home from work, my usual route. It's a short half mile walk. I turned a corner and a few hundred yards down I see an old woman come out of a building. What struck me was her dress. I can only describe it as Victorian or possibly Edwardian in style, long down to the ground, all black and slightly shiny material, and she wore a small bonnet. This was totally incongruous, because I was convinced that a South Asian family lived in that building. The building itself was more modern, so definitely not Edwardian even. My only thought was either she was going fancy dress or some sort of Quaker religious service in traditional costume. As she approached me head on, I could see she was quite tall, maybe 5'11" or so and easily in her late sixties. Definitely not fancy dress then. She had good erect posture, but walked in a slightly laboured way, as an older person would. Her face was thin and serious looking - my impression was of someone of Eastern European extraction, definitely not British. We made eye contact and she could tell that I thought something was up, but she wasn't nervous, in fact the opposite, she was suprisingly confident and matter of fact. I crossed the road as if everything was normal, but I couldn't help but look back. Strangely, she also looked back at me. Suffice to say I never saw her again and I must have walked that route literally thousands of times. My other incongruous situation was when I was travelling on the train for a first date a few years ago. The main thing to note is, I had been in two minds whether to drive or not. The train was inconvenient, as the station is a good mile way. At the very last minute I had chosen to catch a train so that I could have a drink if necessary, so I rushed to get the train. I was dressed smartly as expected, so again that was a little unusual for me. Lastly, I don't catch trains often. There was about five minutes before the train arrived. I had noticed a woman dressed for the office on her phone, she was above average atractiveness and a little taller than me. I don't really know what caught my attention about her, she noticed me however, but then looked back at her phone - I thought nothing of it and started to think about the date ahead. The train pulls in and we do that British thing of working out which door to go through on the train carriage. If one door is too busy, we swap doors, and try to find a seat as quickly as possible. But just before I enter the woman is behind me and starts talking to me. She asks me directly if I was going on a date. I was slightly perplexed - it's extremely unusual here for strangers to talk on trains and especially ask personal questions. I replied that I was and she said that was "nice". I found a seat and she sat directly opposite me and another guy had sat adjacent to us. She then proceeded to ask me if I wanted to play a game. Again I was taken aback, but I thought why not? And she also comandeered the guy next to us - he was reluctant and slightly embarrassed but went for it. She took out her phone and played this app game where a word pops up, you put the phone to your forehead and she asks questions and we say yes or no - the sort of game you play at Christmas. A few rounds of this and the other guy gets off at his station. I have one more stop. She explains that she had written the app with a friend and was wanting to "test it out". I said it was fun. She continues to reel off her life story and the fact she lived and worked in Chelsea (London) and had a good job, but was unhappy. At the end she thanks me and says "people never talk on trains". My impression was that she had some mental health issues or in the least she was lonely, but she seemed dressed for the office and otherwise pretty normal - it was weird. To me, both experiences had dreamlike qualities. Both had out out place elements and stuff that didn't quite fit normality. I want to experience more! And maybe some time travel too...