Dreams are a reflection of what IS (also, art)

seeking_brilliance
By seeking_brilliance in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God,
Those who are in touch with their nightly dreaming experiences, will begin to notice many correlations to this and their waking lives, what we call THIS.... all of THIS that IS appearing we call reality, and distinctly distinguish it from our nightly dreams. This is the huge trap of humanity throughout its history, and it is a mistake to assume that it is not all ONE and the same. We need to ? stop ? discarding the dreaming life as secondary. What a ignorant assumption that either reality is real! We (humanity) don't even know what real is! And yet, dreams are a bit distinct, and although they are appearing as THIS, they also serve as a beautiful reflection of what IS. An awesome guide. Completely free....unless you count the necessary dream work as payment.  This thread is about how dreams and waking IS the SAME, and how dreams are a beautiful reflection of THIS (being THIS at the same time) and how this reflection is the most beautiful art. Please note that I am not saying that 'dream' is what THIS is. It is a beautiful art that is a pointer to what THIS IS. Perhaps nothing more.  So first let's get it all out of the way, ways in which dream life if different than waking life: The laws of physics only apply when it serves the story. Beyond that, they are fair game. Time is only linear when it serves the story. Identification is only with the dream self when it serves the story. Memory and continuity is fluid, and completely serves the story.  Do you see a trend here? You can probably say this about many aspects of dreaming life, so I'll let you discover those for yourself. Now, to the good stuff. Ways in which dreaming is a reflection of waking life. (not saying they are separate experiences, just that they are paradoxically the same and different, together. We'll start with the easiest to spot. The experience is exactly the same between both 'worlds'. In waking life, we experience with our senses : sight, hearing, taste, touch, and smell - - and emotions. In other words, we experience in thought. In dreaming life, we also experience with our five senses and emotions. These senses tend to be a bit muted from waking life, which understandably creates the illusion that they are lesser than. However I propose that they are not lesser, but transcendental of our waking senses, in a 'world' where physics only serve the story. At other times the senses are more heightened than in waking life, and again, you could probably say it's because it serves the story.  Everything IS consciousness. If I hadn't been a vivid dreamer / oneironaut (lucid dreamer with the intent of self discovery), I don't think I could have ever understood this saying which is often mentioned on this site and many others. Outside of some enlightenment realization (or Remembering Self) I really don't see how this could have been fathomed in my mind. But dreaming is the perfect teacher for this. Especially when lucid dreaming, you can really walk around basking in your own divine(?) consciousness, interacting with objects and speaking to dream characters, all the while knowing that this is all you. Everthing appears as separate,  otherwise there would be no story. But nothing is separate, and it's absolutely undeniable. No woo-woo necessary. Any esteemed scientist will tell you this. Of course they won't take it as far as describing waking life. Dreams are paths to self discovery. Waking life contains many paths to self discovery. Dream as art. (From https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-arthistory/chapter/what-is-art/)  Art may be characterized in terms of mimesis (its representation of reality), expression, communication of emotion, or other qualities....  (sounds like dreams to me...  The principles of art include movement, unity, harmony, variety, balance, contrast, proportion and pattern. The elements include texture, form, space, shape, color, value and line.... (interesting how these words can also be used to describe experience, aka waking life and dreaming life) art therapy is generally understood as a form of therapy that uses art media as its primary mode of communication.... (literally, the dream is therapy, and uses the media (the dream) as mode of communication.)  Art, in its broadest sense, is a form of communication. It means whatever the artist intends it to mean, and this meaning is shaped by the materials, techniques, and forms it makes use of, as well as the ideas and feelings it creates in its viewers . Art is an act of expressing feelings, thoughts, and observations....(sounds like dreams to me)    5. To expand on number 2, dream characters are very diverse and seemingly intelligent. When not lucid, we mistake these characters as real people and all the fear emotions manifest in dire situations. When lucid, you realize these characters are yourself, and whether you fear yourself is up to you.  This exact description has been said of becoming enlightened by many.  As if enlightenment is equivalent to becoming lucid in a dream.  I will add more to this list as they arise. Please feel free to add your own ideas well. Sweet dreams!
  • 18 replies