Suffering Won't Get You Anywhere

mandyjw
By mandyjw in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God,
Going from two assumptions, All suffering comes from the mind.  Enlightenment is the state of being free from suffering and does not exist as a future state, or a permanent state. It is only a state that one can achieve in the present moment. There is no such thing as an enlightened being. People can appear to the mind's judgement be enlightened because they are never or very infrequently in other states. Therefore the only path is to enter a state of freedom from suffering.  Suffering is nothing more than an indicator that we aren't in a conscious state.  Why then in so many spiritual traditions is the emphasis on seeking suffering? Isn't that completely backwards?  For example I used to run long distances and I thought it made me a better person through suffering. I was focused on the suffering part. I dropped running for a few years and then picked it back up and discovered that I didn't care what I got out of it, and it was purely enjoyable. I didn't change the activity I changed the focus of it.  Why do any method to "get" enlightened that makes you suffer? The suffering can only mean it isn't working for you. The trying can only mean that your doing it for the wrong reason. Why ever meditate or do any any other practice for any other reason than that it makes you feel good? Enlightenment is nothing you can work toward, you can only experience it now. 
  • 37 replies