How can Westerners practice Brahmacharya ?

Sage_Elias
By Sage_Elias in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God,
It is said that a person who observes celibacy in thought, word and deed will have large amounts of life energy stored up within his system. This  practice of conserving our sexual energy and then channeling this energy towards our spiritual life of meditation is called Brahmacharya. Many spiritual teachers disagree on what Brahmacharya means and how we ought to practice it. Some teachers say we should strive to conserve ALL OF OUR SEXUAL ENERGY LIKE THE MONKS AND NUNS. Eg. Swami Sivananda, Swami Vivekananda, Sri Ramakrishna, Sadhguru, Gandhi and others. On the other hand, other teachers say we should have copulation only for the sake of having children...and after this deed is done then we must not repeat the act. Some teachers even say that sex is not a big concern because it is a natural bodily process and so long as our spiritual practice is the central thing in our life then an occasional copulation is no big deal. Im a young man with raging hormones and I have read many books and articles on this topic and still I am confused about the topic of Brahmacharya.  So how can a westerner like myself practice a healthy form of Brahmacharya ?
  • 14 replies