Mega-thread : Traveling in India.

Lynnel
By Lynnel,
Introduction Whether you're going in India for spiritual or simply contrast (being confronted with another culture) purposes it can be amazing for self-development. Hell even Leo wants to travel to India, that's agonna be a useful surprise once he comes back from his retreat. Since I'm planning to visit India soon I decided to create a big topic to discuss it. Anyone currently living in India (I'll tag you down below) or who has ever traveled is free to provide some advice. Discussions topics I'll frame them as questions I am wondering myself and I have come about/read on other forums. 1) How to handle the heat : what to wear, what specific things would one wear (longhi ?) Should one wear a turban to protect yourself from the heat ? (Can an outsider be allowed to wear it since it can be seen as a religious item ? ) 2) Places to avoid, how to blend in with the crowd ( if at all possible) and how to handle all the attention you might get as a traveler ? 3) All kinds of recommendations for logistics : Places/monuments to visit Hotels to stay at services to use Cities to visit Experiences to experience (redundant, I know) Food stands/ restaurants/markets/tourist companies Train compagnies/logistics 4) How to avoid getting scammed in hotels/ taxi/ street food stands/ in general. Also any kind of generic safety guidelines. 5) Other random considerations : How to avoid diarrhea and food poisonning Types of medecine which may be forbidden or require you to have a valid prescription Any other tips and remarks I haven't thought of   Me personally : I'm most likely going to Rajastan for a more touristy/cultural type vacation. If you live in the area and want to hang out shoot me a PM and I'll bring you belgian cookies (Not chocolate unfortunately as it won't survivre a 40 degrees weather). I'd like to thank @Elton@Prabhaker@Shanmugam for giving me some basic advice in PM <3 <3 I'll also tag other indian members I find : @shapeshifter@Dinesh Karki@mohdanas@Sahil Pandit@Dhruv@AmarSG1@Rajat Bhatia@Saumaya@Amit@Deepak kumar@Preety_India People who have been to India before : @Raquel@cirkussmile (Sorry if I forgot anyone ) Your contribution is very deeply appreciated. Thank you everyone in advance !