Observing myself talking is not allowing me to talk clearly

QeenB
By QeenB in Personal Development -- [Main],
So I have this weird problem. When I talk with someone in slightly stressful situation e.g job interview I tend to get stuck - what I mean is that for example someone ask me a question and I don't know what to say (or I just start talking automatically but then get stuck not knowing what to say next) and I start observing myself being stuck and then I start to observe myself observing myself being stuck. And this act of observing myself and noticing that I am stuck - is blocking me from speaking automatically. By observing I mean watching myself and watching my thoughts - which are "oh shit I am stuck" or "oh shit I do not know what to say" or "oh shit nothing is coming to my mind right know". This thing really bothers me because I know that I am intellectually capable to answer the question and speaking my mind but I noticed that I found myself in this situation over and over again lately.  Maybe some of you know what I mean. The best metaphor I could think of is the same feeling when you try to speak in your non-native language and the words just do not come to you, but when you are talking to yourself mentally (in your non-native language) everything is just perfect. You have the clarity, you know what to say, how to say it and you do not get stuck - the words just come to you.  I have been meditating for about 2 years pretty consistently and before that I was dabbling with meditation for about 2 years. I also did 10 vipassana meditation retreat back in February. I mention this because I think it has crucial significance, because of the shifting of awareness.  Maybe those of you who are talking in front of camera maybe had similar experience - focusing on the fact that you are recording a video can influence your ability to focus on what you want to say - the awareness in on the fact that you are recording and not that you are talking. I would appreciative any advice on this. I feel dumb as fuck sometimes.   
  • 13 replies