Reply to Discussion: The End Of Reputation & Rank?

AleksM
By AleksM,
I find reputation points highly useful to quickly scan the page and find the most upvoted responses. Also, when I look at the reputation points of a certain user, that can be a quick sign for me that that user is posting more insightful posts. People don't read anymore on the internet, they scan and rep points are a good way for us to scan quickly and then decide if we want to read or not. I would keep the thumbs up button and reputation points under the user, but I would remove the thumbs up  notifications as they can be distracting and useless. Also, maybe disable the function for users to look up who gave reputation for a certain post (maybe only keep it for users to look up who gave reputation on their own posts only), but I still like transparency. There is too much to read and so these rep points are useful to quickly scan the pages and users. Of course, that can be used to bias us, but I see more benefits than not. If we don't see certain metrics under the username and posts, then it's nearly impossible to locate the good, insightful users from the ones that are not, resulting in a lot of wasted time. Also, it is a quick indicator of a useless debate between users taking place or a productive conversation. Also, usually, people who have at a quick glance a lot less rep points than their total number of posts, that's a good indicator that they're engaging in a lot of debating on forums and don't provide much value. Maybe, create a sticky thread that outlines how to properly use that feature @Leo Gura, so people are more informed and less biased. Maybe remove total reps only for yourself as it's already obvious that you Will always have the highest reputation in your own community but keep the thumbs up button for your posts. I don't find any use in the labels that are displayed under the username (lesser chimp, low ape... and the dots displayed under the labels), that's totally pointless in my opinion. Another thing I would remove is the phrase edited that shows up under the posts. Maybe keep it until 48 hours pass and then disappear.