Discussion: The End Of Reputation & Rank?

Leo Gura
By Leo Gura in Personal Development -- [Main],
I see lots of egos running around wild on this forum, myself not excluded. Part of the problem is that the forum fuels this. All online platforms do. It's just the nature of the beast. But for us it's particularly distracting. So to reduce that, the idea came to mind to remove all reputation points and ranks. What this would mean is: No more titles like Common Chimp, Great Ape, etc. No more reputation points by your username No more Thumbs Up button! No more Thumbs Up scores on individual posts Basically, all members would be equal. All posts and responses would just ride on the weight of their logic. This change would strip out all the social proof which now exists. This would be a pretty significant change, so I wanted to see how you guys feel about that. With this, there would be no way to tell which member is more reputable than another, or which thread is highly liked or respected. The biggest downside would that the best content, and the most trustworthy members, would be harder to spot. The biggest upside would be that we stop wasting time looking at who thumbed-up what. And it would force people to actually read the content of a post before pre-judging it. And I would like to get rid of my rank/reputation. It would still be possible to see how many total posts a user made. That stat is not going away. I am still undecided about this. Yea or nay? Speak now or forever hold your peace.
  • 263 replies