The Mechanics Of Belief

By Leo Gura - October 17, 2016 | 33 Comments

Applied epistemology 101

Downloads:

Comments
Vercingetorix says:

Thanks Leo, sometimes your videos have the uncanny habit of answering exactly the question I was pondering in the days before the release of the video

Specifically this time I was wondering the point that I can Intuitively see the that it holds truth that only the present is truth, and past and future are just shadows, thoughts and memories that obscure this truth but, I found it very hard to rationally explain to myself this realization, and thus it’s hard to submit to this realization and follow it through practically (like trying to meditate/be present as much as I can every day). And you just come and hammer on this: every thought is basically a belief that if inquired deeply enough will be found to not hold ground, so If I can really see it my motivation for wanting to become present will increase by tenfold I assume. So thanks for that!

Bernardo says:

Do you have any thoughts on a video about discipline? I see it as a critical point for having a consise and consistent inner development. When I got the first glimpse of “damn, lot of shit goin rong” on starting newbie stage, which was when I saw your work and ideas, it was hard for me to balance and to not going crazy trying to improve everything on each oportunity i was presented. Now i grasp the concept of discipline and its founations, that with the meditation habbit had given me much awerness and acceptance and relief while working on myself. Thanks a lot for your work, im from Brazil and your way of researching and walking this path from zero is really inspiring and makes me wonder how much i will evolve seeing you evolving too!! forgive the bad english

I already have a video about discipline:
https /www.actualized.org/articles/self-discipline-vs-freedom

Bernardo says:

Thanks man, sorry for taking the time. Your work have been great for all of us.

Lynda says:

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!
You just answered my long struggling question.
I felt much better in dealing with FEAR!
I will not be so anxiously thinking about the thing to do!
I don’t expect this awesome video dug up my problem!

Thank you!

Michael says:

This is such a great insight…opening me up for possibilities

Charlea says:

You never fail to amaze me! Thank you.

Christine says:

Hi Leo,

Very informative video, lots to ponder over. I have been thinking about beliefs lately and how to uproot them and now I have more tools to do that.
Thanks very much.

Jim says:

At the end of this The Mechanics Of Belief video you say a button is located below to download a worksheet but there is no button except to donate a tip. Where can I download the PDF work sheet?

Ragnar says:

Worksheet is on youtube

Oops! Sorry… forgot to add the worksheet link.

Just fixed it.

jim says:

Leo, I appreciate your pragmatic approach to this topic. I can wait to see what new experiences lies ahead using the tools you have provided. Ragnar, thanks for your help.

Ramona says:

It is absolutely ok to have beliefs, opinions as long as you are not attached to them. Once seeing the truth, you don’t suddenly become an oak tree, you are still here as a human being.

Amina says:

This video on epistemology 101 left me with so many thoughts and reminders of direct experiences which I have had that have left me questioning life period. I am going to watch this again and again. Outstanding!

sithun says:

Thank you Leo. And I mean it from my heart…thank u

Valerie says:

Leo,months ago I accedently stumbled over one of your videos…honestly,you irritated the hell out of me…”Just who is this smug know it all anyway?”said myself to myself.Since then you have become a real source of inspiration and information,and I regard you with the utmost respect and affection…thank you from the bottom of my heart for so freely sharing what I have come to think of as “freedom”.
Most Sincerely,
Val

Adrie says:

HI Leo,

The causes of wars are the attachment to god and the doctrines greed and lust for power. And there is a bigger goal which you have to find out yourself! The movie the matrix gives the best analogie.

Keep searching! (if you didn’t figured it out yet)

NIce job in seeing though it! You gave me extra steps to find my conclusions!

Elham says:

Hi,

Thanks for the nice video.
That is so great to see how our beliefs shape our worlds.

Patrycja says:

Hi Leo,

Thank you for such fantastic content on believe! Wow, it blows my mind how knowledgeable you are and you do operate on the higher level, it shows really. It’s amazing how in tact you are with your mind when speaking, addressing things! I hope I understood quite a deep subject such as believe and I am curious now what have you saw that you can’t believe?

I am looking forward to explore the worksheet exercise.

Many Thanks,
P.

Gavin says:

Hey Leo! Love this stuff…

In case you weren’t sick of answering all my questions already…

How do you see the need to drop all beliefs with the quest for continued learning? (I think that counted as one of the 8 things we should be concerned with in life).
It’s certainly something I’m concerned with and it seems like a positive endeavour and something I really enjoy.

Is it coming more from the point of view of “learn the concepts and theories to broaden your understanding, but always know that they are all ultimately false, just tools to navigate life”?

I worry slightly as I advance further along my life purpose path, which will likely include learning a lot of new concepts and using my thinking abilities to make enough money to survive, while hopefully funding my own consciousness development pursuits.

Thanks again!

Manipal singh Sagoo says:

Should I believe my life is being changed in a better way, listening to actualized.com

Lou Lou says:

Thank you so much for this video! For a long time this topic is a very big discussion point in my life. Your video is making everything clear.

jos says:

What about beliefs like “actions speak louder than words” or ‘what’s for you will not pass you”. I l can’t find any loop holes to those, can you? They prove to be true on so many levels and are good beliefs to hold…. or so I thought.

Brett Miller says:

Hello Jos,

From what I can see those euphemisms/adages are binary, black and white. Extremely dualistic and as such, can’t be True all the time, yet they are usually contexualized as such. Because of this, they fail some of the time, half the time, or more.

For example: “Actions speak louder than words.” …true enough, for those occasions where action is required more than talking. If communication is appropriate in some situation, and action better off withheld, then the adage fails, and is False.

Human beings are capable (at least from the frame of reference of “relative reality”) of making decisions based on cognitive function. We can think and act in a more dynamic and analog way in this domain. Why not take advantage of that?

-b

Ramona says:

I am sorry. I said something false: once the dream is gone, one can hold opinions and preferences wich imply flexibility (I prefer to do it like this, so I’ll do my best , but if life doesn’t go my way, I am in peace), but never a belief wich implies rigidity (I belive this thing so it must be like this and I will fight to prove it to you because my identity is on the line).

Uldis says:

I know one thing for sure: “something exists”

That turns out to be false.

Jess says:

Does Leo’s other video about the “web of knowledge” work in tandem with this video here? I believe so, I’d like to know how it doesnt work in tandem. The search continues. Awesome stuff Leo, thanks.

Some Guy says:

Hi Leo, quick review…
I really like the Content you post, but do you really have to make each video that long? I mean, you repeat a lot of stuff over and over and over and over again (“Really Dangerous belief, extremely dangerous belief, really truly really extremely dangerous belief…”)? Do you really find it necessary?

Chris says:

Hi Leo,

I’ve been very involved and ambitious in trying to understand the new age movement, spirituality, buddhism etc. I meditate and I read as much as I can on the subject. I have also come across a lot of research where Christians try to disprove the new age movement and spirituality. They are somewhat convincing, but I am also a skeptic like yourself. I even question the skeptics. My issue is that I have very strong Christian friends and they try to convince me that what I believe is false. There are many videos, articles, and seminars where Christians are aggressively pursuing an end to spirituality. Quite frankly I don’t have all the answers and I think it would be awesome if you made a video to counter these allegations with thorough research. It’s very easy to find many new agers/spiritual people who are converting back to Christianity so there has to be an explanation for this..Check out this guys website who is now a Christian and used to be new age spiritual/agonstic. his link on youtube says exposingthenewage.com but it’s actually reasonsforjesus.com once I click it. Can his claims make sense?

mark says:

hi Leo, just wondered if you’d looked at imprint vulnerability due to chemical shock (psychedelics for example, Leary/ Wilson et al), conversion states or shell-shock( William sargent “battle for the mind”). if you hav’nt hope the names are useful. great vid. M

mark says:

PS: big fan of not believing anyone’s BS, even my own. it is possible to continue playing the knowledge/ belief system/tunnel game, to engage in it for teaching -learning or see ideas/ beliefs /opinions as toys each new idea a shiny new one to explore. wow, look what happens if I bend this bit and add it that…hey that’s new..
I completely (well 80 percent) agree that life is best lived as an adventure. once again, thank you for the reminder. M