Loreena

How To Get More Sleep ?

28 posts in this topic

I don't want to get hooked on sleep pills. I have been losing sleep since a few months because of late night TV. I have decided to stop it now. 

Do you have suggestions or tips for getting more sleep. Anything would be a great help. 

I have been feeling very tired throughout the day because of lack of sleep. 

Any safer healthier ways of increasing sleep. Don't want to go to doctor

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

Lay in bed. Pyjamas and all or whatever you wear.

Then close your eyes. Don't press them closed hard. Just in a very relaxed way.

And this is the key: Don't open your eyes at all anymore until you fall asleep. Not even for half a second. Not even one eye. Not at all. This is absolute key. Don't open your eyes. Not even if you are looking for another sleeping position, let's say you go lay from your left side on your right side. 

But then again close them relaxed. Don't press them hard. 

I figured this out in highschool when I had a hard time sleeping. I did this by remembering seeing people put a blanket over the cage of a bird. Then the light would go out for the bird and then the bird would fall asleep really fast. But if it did see any light it would stay up. 

I think it's the same for the brain. If you close your eyes eventually your brain is going to make the connection that eyes closed means fall asleep. Again this can take 15 minutes, an hour, one and a half hour or whatever. Don't open your eyes at all. No matter what you do. No matter for how short. 

The second part is that while you are laying there with your eyes closed you want to think about some really happy early childhood memory. Like for me it is when I was on vacation as a kid with my parents in Southern France and I was having a body board playing on the waves and catching crabs and putting them in a bucket. 

I am sure you have some happy childhood memorys. Really go back to those and think about them. They make you feel good. That helps because it's easier falling asleep when you are happy then when you are worrying about things. The happy memorys keep to bad thoughts at bay while you are trying to fall asleep. 

That second part I learned from my mother as a kid. She said when you have a hard time sleeping try thinking of something nice. 

So close your eyes in a relaxed manner. Don't open them at all no matter what or for how long. And think about happy childhood memories.

Goodnight. 

-____________________________________________________________________________-
accidentally highlighted all the stuff and pressed backspace. FML!!!!! 20 - 30 minutes just wasted.  
-________________________________________________________-
Ill try to re write what i said tomorrow. 

Real eyes, realize, real lies.

On 4/10/2017 at 8:54 AM, Loreena said:

Do you have suggestions or tips for getting more sleep

You may not be sleeping well in the night. Very few people are sleeping well, so when you have not slept well in the night you are a little tired during the day. If that is the case, then do something with your sleep. It should be made deeper. Time is not much of a question – you can sleep for eight hours, and if it is not deep you will feel hungry for sleep, starved – depth is the question. 

Every night before you go to sleep do a small technique, and that will help tremendously. Put the lights off, sit in your bed ready to sleep, but sit for fifteen minutes.Close your eyes and then start any monotonous nonsense sound, for example: la, la, la – and wait for the mind to supply new sounds. The only thing to be remembered is those sounds or words should not be of any language that you know. If you know English, German, Italian, then they should not be of Italian, German, English. Any other language is allowed that you don't know – Tibetan, Chinese, Japanese. But if you know Japanese then it is not allowed, then Italian is wonderful.

Speak any language that you don’t know. You will be in a difficulty for few seconds only for the first day, because how do you speak a language you don’t know? It can be spoken, and once it starts, any sounds, nonsense words, just to put the conscious off and allow the unconscious to speak.... When the unconscious speaks, the unconscious knows no language.

It is a very, very old method. It comes from the Old Testament. It was called in those days glossolalia and a few churches in America still use it. They call it “talking in tongues”. And it is a wonderful method, one of the most deep and penetrating into the unconscious. You start by saying “la, la, la,” and then anything that comes you go on. Just for the first day you will feel it is a little difficult. Once it comes, you know the knack of it. Then for fifteen minutes, use the language that is coming to you, and use it as a language; in fact you are talking in it. This will relax the conscious so deeply.

Fifteen minutes – and you then just simply lie down and go to sleep. Your sleep will become deeper. Within weeks you will feel a depth in your sleep, and in the morning you will feel completely fresh.

Just now, Prabhaker said:

You may not be sleeping well in the night. Very few people are sleeping well, so when you have not slept well in the night you are a little tired during the day. If that is the case, then do something with your sleep. It should be made deeper. Time is not much of a question – you can sleep for eight hours, and if it is not deep you will feel hungry for sleep, starved – depth is the question. 

Every night before you go to sleep do a small technique, and that will help tremendously. Put the lights off, sit in your bed ready to sleep, but sit for fifteen minutes.Close your eyes and then start any monotonous nonsense sound, for example: la, la, la – and wait for the mind to supply new sounds. The only thing to be remembered is those sounds or words should not be of any language that you know. If you know English, German, Italian, then they should not be of Italian, German, English. Any other language is allowed that you don't know – Tibetan, Chinese, Japanese. But if you know Japanese then it is not allowed, then Italian is wonderful.

Speak any language that you don’t know. You will be in a difficulty for few seconds only for the first day, because how do you speak a language you don’t know? It can be spoken, and once it starts, any sounds, nonsense words, just to put the conscious off and allow the unconscious to speak.... When the unconscious speaks, the unconscious knows no language.

It is a very, very old method. It comes from the Old Testament. It was called in those days glossolalia and a few churches in America still use it. They call it “talking in tongues”. And it is a wonderful method, one of the most deep and penetrating into the unconscious. You start by saying “la, la, la,” and then anything that comes you go on. Just for the first day you will feel it is a little difficult. Once it comes, you know the knack of it. Then for fifteen minutes, use the language that is coming to you, and use it as a language; in fact you are talking in it. This will relax the conscious so deeply.

Fifteen minutes – and you then just simply lie down and go to sleep. Your sleep will become deeper. Within weeks you will feel a depth in your sleep, and in the morning you will feel completely fresh.

Thank you buddy. You have been kind. 

@Loreena Turn off all lights you look at, phone and all, long before bed. A couple hours.

No caffeine.

You can Google "sleep hygiene" for more tips.

Also, my favorite way to "push" sleep is to lay there and "start dreaming." I consciously allow colors, shapes, whatever comes up to play out in my imagination. I'm asleep before I know it. 

Edited by eskwire

nothing is anything

4 minutes ago, eskwire said:

@Loreena Turn off all lights, phone and all, long before bed. A couple hours.

No caffeine.

You can Google "sleep hygiene" for more tips.

Also, my favorite way to "push" sleep is to lay there and "start dreaming." I consciously allow colors, shapes, whatever comes up to play out in my imagination. I'm asleep before I know it. 

Thank you for your suggestions.

20 minutes ago, sweatergoat said:

-____________________________________________________________________________-
accidentally highlighted all the stuff and pressed backspace. FML!!!!! 20 - 30 minutes just wasted.  
-________________________________________________________-
Ill try to re write what i said tomorrow. 

I'll be waiting. Thanks

22 minutes ago, sweatergoat said:

You can always press 'Ctrl + z' to undo the action.

@Prabhaker You can always press 'Ctrl + r to redo it. 

Do you exercise? I exercise a lot and I found that I get better sleep because of it. Even on days that I go to bed late because  of work or homework, I feel like I get enough sleep and part of that reason I believe is because of all my exercising.

One thing I do to get better sleep is put some really relaxing music. I play moonlight sonata almost every single night before going to sleep or I play raining sounds videos to help me relax (I love it when it rains because it relaxes me and makes me sleep much better, if it's not raining then I put some of those rain sound videos).

Also, I heard that it's much better if you stay away from TV and Phones at least 45 minutes before going to be, otherwise your brain will keep thinking it's daylight from the light coming from devices.

Here are two of the videos I use at night to sleep, I hope it works for you.

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 9:54 AM, SFRL said:

Lay in bed. Pyjamas and all or whatever you wear.

Then close your eyes. Don't press them closed hard. Just in a very relaxed way.

And this is the key: Don't open your eyes at all anymore until you fall asleep. Not even for half a second. Not even one eye. Not at all. This is absolute key. Don't open your eyes. Not even if you are looking for another sleeping position, let's say you go lay from your left side on your right side.

But then again close them relaxed. Don't press them hard.

I figured this out in highschool when I had a hard time sleeping. I did this by remembering seeing people put a blanket over the cage of a bird. Then the light would go out for the bird and then the bird would fall asleep really fast. But if it did see any light it would stay up.

I think it's the same for the brain. If you close your eyes eventually your brain is going to make the connection that eyes closed means fall asleep. Again this can take 15 minutes, an hour, one and a half hour or whatever. Don't open your eyes at all. No matter what you do. No matter for how short.

The second part is that while you are laying there with your eyes closed you want to think about some really happy early childhood memory. Like for me it is when I was on vacation as a kid with my parents in Southern France and I was having a body board playing on the waves and catching crabs and putting them in a bucket.

I am sure you have some happy childhood memorys. Really go back to those and think about them. They make you feel good. That helps because it's easier falling asleep when you are happy then when you are worrying about things. The happy memorys keep to bad thoughts at bay while you are trying to fall asleep.

That second part I learned from my mother as a kid. She said when you have a hard time sleeping try thinking of something nice.

So close your eyes in a relaxed manner. Don't open them at all no matter what or for how long. And think about happy childhood memories.

Goodnight.

Thank you so much for your precious advice. Sweet Dreams

On 4/10/2017 at 8:54 AM, Loreena said:

How To Get More Sleep ?

Man is made by nature to work hard for at least eight hours. Unless he works hard for eight hours he does not earn the right to have a deep sleep. And as a society grows richer, people are not working hard. There is no need; others can work for them. The whole day they are doing small things which they enjoy doing, but it is not hard work like that of a stonecutter or a woodcutter. The body is made so that after eight hours of hard work it naturally needs to fall into sleep to rejuvenate its energy. But it seems difficult…you have earned enough money and still you are chopping wood for eight hours? Then for what have you earned all that money? It seems stupid. You could have chopped wood even without becoming a millionaire.

It has been known for centuries that beggars sleep better than emperors. Laborers, manual laborers sleep better than intellectuals. The poor sleep better than the rich, because they have to work hard to earn their bread and butter, but side by side they are also earning the right to have a beautiful sleep.

Insomnia is not a disease, it is the richest way of life. In fact what is happening is: the whole day you are resting; then in the night you are tossing and turning in the bed. That is the only exercise left for you, and you don’t want to do even that exercise. Toss and turn as much as you can. If the whole day is of resting then the night cannot be of sleep. You have already rested.

If the people who are suffering from insomnia really want to get rid of it they should not think of it as a disease. Visiting a doctor is meaningless. They should start working in their garden, doing some hard work, and forget all about sleep; it will come. It always comes, you don’t have to bring it.

Imma keep this short since yesterday i accidentally backspaced all my stuff x_x

(currently not doing this but it has worked perfectly for about the last 2 months when i started)

Wake up and get out of bed at certain time EVERYDAY. I personally woke up and got up at 6:55 AM
This link should help with this https://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/04/how-to-get-up-right-away-when-your-alarm-goes-off/

Turn off all electronics (music doesnt count as long as your not looking at a device screen) 1 hour before going to sleep to give your brain time to unstimulate itself (i did at 10:00 PM giving my brain 1 hour to transition into sleep mode while still leaving room for 8 hours of sleep). During this 1 hour you could read or listen to music (i prefer listening to music)(also dont go back and forth finding and changing songs just set a playlist or something)

After reading for 30 minutes or so or while listening to music just lay there in bed KEEPING YOUR EYES OPEN as ironic it may seem. I dont know why but this helps me fall asleep. My saying is that the mistake that people make when going to sleep is that they close their eyes lol. 

Also turn off any super bright lights (lamps and nightlights could be ok though if your going to read i guess)

Extra: If you feel tired throughout the day and would also like to be able to sleep within minutes at night click this link https://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/05/how-to-become-an-early-riser/

Alright thats all i got to say hope this helped (yesterdays post that i was going to post was better but f it now). Let me know if you have any questions.

Real eyes, realize, real lies.

What do you expect from watching tv? Do you expect to be entertained and relaxed, to be in a good mood? I would suppose that would be about what anyone would usually expect, right?

How about while you are watching tv you regularly take notes how you feel? Do you actually feel relaxed, in a good mood?

I personally found out that I am mostly bored. I was once told of a prank played on someone who smoked. Someone put hairs in the person's cigarettes... It's kind of similar: Finding out that you actually don't enjoy something like watching mediocre tv spoils it. Which in this case could be helpful.

On 4/9/2017 at 8:24 PM, Loreena said:

I don't want to get hooked on sleep pills. I have been losing sleep since a few months because of late night TV. I have decided to stop it now. 

Do you have suggestions or tips for getting more sleep. Anything would be a great help. 

I have been feeling very tired throughout the day because of lack of sleep. 

Any safer healthier ways of increasing sleep. Don't want to go to doctor

Go nekkid.  Feel nothing sometime try i like relaxation music . i have my play list however.

Be prepared though that if you feel that tv entertainment is the only fun you have in life, finding out that is not fun at all will give you the feeling that you have nothing at all. You would have to fill that hole.

Edited by mostly harmless