LRyan

Could There Be Too Much Information On This Site?

18 posts in this topic

I am a newbie to self discovery or whatever term anyone uses to describe seeking.  I didn't want to write this question but I had to.  Can anyone consider that there is too much information available?  Just consider it.  I have only discovered Leos site a month ago so I feel like I am desperately trying to absorb all aspects of information for all sources.  I am going through phases of latching on to different teachers, Eckhart Tolle, Deepak Chopra, Dr. Wayne Dyer.  Then I discovered this site and watched at least 15 videos of Leo's intermittently while being taken in different directions and latching on to Mooji then Rupert Spira, then back to Eckhart then various videos posted here and then last night Jim Newman's teachings.

I am being honest when I say I feel more lost than found.  I expected a gradual increase in knowledge, contemplating different ideas but I feel like I am in a whirlpool of thoughts, ideas, different interpretations of what is right wrong or why nothing is happening right now so there is nothing to do.  I'm more confused and have more anxiety about all of this than before I found all of this.  Could I be seeking too much?  I am spending 6 or 8 hours a day looking for something.

Has anyone felt like they were going crazy trying to pluck info. out of this seemingly infinite source?  Really mixed up here.  

Examine what you believe to be impossible, and then change your beliefs.

@LRyan Sure there can be too much conceptual knowledge. Especially with the internet and so many different sources. Direct experience is key. When I started this journey there where just a handful of books out to read. Other than that you were on your own to discover what is true. The only other choice was go to India and hopefully find yourself a guru.

about 4 years ago, i stopped my spiritual journey for a while.
The main cause was over-information. I was becoming an "armchair" guru.

In the beginning, reading all  this knowledge was fascinating and interesting. It triggered me, it calmed me, it caused in me a desire to know more, trying to read myself into enlightenment. As years went by, you start to notice all these books just regurgitating the same story. And i found myself thinking, i know this, i won't become enlightened from reading this, this is just more of the same.  I thought i was better now than these authors, and further along the path than most, having all this knowledge inside my brain now.
So i stopped, and i accepted this, and this acceptance brought me great calm and joy. It might have been the ego saying to me, "you are enlightened now boy, huzzah", i'm not really sure. But i made a big mistake, of neglecting spirituality after that. For a couple weeks, i felt free, i let myself go into joy without bounds. Then i lost the feeling, and got distracted by work for a couple years. And now i'm back here, picking myself up from the spiritual bottom, all thanks to that first video from Leo i saw some weeks ago. 

So yeah, at a certain point, nothing you read will give you any more insights.
But it may still inspire you, or remind you of insights you've forgotten.

Cetus said it, "Direct experience is key", there is no substitute for that.
But also, when you do start feeling "better", don't quit the practice like I did, i guarantee you will regret it.

Mentally, it is very easy to read many books and articles about this topic. Entire libraries can be filled on the topic of enlightenment, there are thousands of books on it probably. Knowing is physical, so you conceptually may have a higher IQ than an enlightened being. Conceptually your brain may through study "know" more about enlightenment than the Buddha himself. Just by reading the multitude of books in many many religions on the topic.

But Knowledge is not Enlightenment. It is just mental baggage, and it will never become anything more than that.
Knowledge is the dirt in which the tree of enlightenment can grow, it is not even the seed. The seed was within you since birth.

@LRyan There's a simple rule to go by.
Just whatever seems relevant to you, learn from that. Put on your own bullshit filter.
Great thing is it doesn't have to be accurate, it just needs to fit your stage of development.
In ex. when I first joined to forum, some of the people who were telling some very interesting things that were later helpful to me, I approached it with "ok you are genuinely retarded and that is fine but I am not buying into your bullshit"
Best strategy I ever had. Still use it, although now I it is more and more accurate =D.

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

9 hours ago, Joel3102 said:

Thanks for this suggestion.  This is an eye opener for me.  It's like the video was made for me personally, I am so uncomfortable with not knowing what an outcome will be that I have been making rash decisions out of the need to feel like things are being dealt with and the mind can put it to rest.  I believe this has caused me a lot of harm over the years but it stops now.  I didn't realize how deeply negative doing this could affect ones life.  This ends now for me... I am going to brave these uncharted waters and start tonight with a key issue that I have been dealing with.

Thanks so much to everyone for your heartfelt comments.

I would say use the information initially as a weapon against the self, to break your beliefs down and get traction. At some point though, you do not need the information as much because any information you adopt becomes a dogma, even if you don't realize it.  What happens to a lot of people is that they read a bunch of information and pick and choose parts of each to form a theory. The problem is that the only one who would seek to know all is the self. This is why everything has to come from direct experience. When you are just adopting theory, you are doing exactly what a scientist does with rationalization. It's the same thought process only the content has changed. This is why I like Leo's videos. He is focused on different thought processes more than anything else. The best thing you can read about is functions of ego. The more aware you are of the mechanisms, and thought processes that are based on a false assumption the better you can strip away all the baggage to get to your fundamental nature.

For me, watching my thoughts is what really did it for me. As soon as you realize that the self is an output, and not an input, and realize that theres no free will, the self falls apart. A lot of this is about accepting things that the ego thinks are scary.

Edit: Leo's new video on skepticism covers this. Highly suggest it.

Edited by Gopackgo

Meditation is the mind training itself. You are just along for the ride.

Just now, My_Name_Is_Mud said:

I thought I was confused once. It turned out I was just in Florida.

lololol

Meditation is the mind training itself. You are just along for the ride.

@LRyan I can relate. It's ok, suck it all in, it takes a while to sort through and assimilate all this new stuff. You'll hit a point where you have grasped enough for that time period, and it'll seem like one week you couldn't wait to get more books to add to the months of voracious reading, and the next week, you'll just feel that you've got enough to go on for a while and all that you're learning  needs to begin to be applied in the most obvious, suitable manner for you. Maybe you take on mindfulness practices, maybe begin to experiment with meditation, concentration and contemplation, as described all over, and here as well. It can all run in cycles too it seems. 

I can tell you that all the teachers you mention above that you have resonated with are amazingly effective, top drawer communicators of Truth, none of them will steer you wrong an inch, enjoy them all!

Edited by FirstglimpseOMG

It's simple but people tend to complicate it and even seasoned seekers may not really understand the simplicity of it.

If we are mindful of the moment we can be fulfilled in being yet if we are distracted by the theater of the mind there can no real satisfaction.

Most people would be enriched by that lucid approach but most people wind up an addicted soul chasing a sugar high ego buzz of attention.

Very few will choose  to work with their consciousness to the degree and intensity that the more dedicated seekers do.

People's imagination can be intricate and complicated so the ideas and concepts ornate but also convoluted and sabotaging by overthinking it, too.

Don't forget. Your own truth speaks louder than any external information, if you're listening.

What I am reading now: Smile at Fear, Chögyam Trungpa

@FirstglimpseOMG  I know the feeling of almost being in a hurry to learn more, get more info.  I went on a binge and ordered 3 books but then by the time I got to the second one, the allure sort of wore off and I've only skipped through those other books.  From now on I will not act so spontaneously to run out buy whatever it is that is intriguing me at the moment because that is the key word with me...the moment.

I seem to be bouncing all over the place between different styles of teaching, Eckhart, Deepak, Wayne Dyer, Mooji, Rupert Spiria, Paul Hedderman, the books of Seth, Papaji, and the latest one that has got my daily attention is Matt Kahn.

Every time I grasp a new way of hearing the insights I cling to that and then I immediately go online and look to see if they have any retreats coming up.  I;ve done this for Mooji, Eckhart, Rupert Spiria and Matt Kahn.  I almost seem desperate to myself to "find" something.  I do believe that being near enlightened people puts you in contact with a certain energy field so I crave that but realistically, I can't run around the world seeking...can I?  lol!

On 4/22/2017 at 2:23 AM, SOUL said:

It's simple but people tend to complicate it and even seasoned seekers may not really understand the simplicity of it.

If we are mindful of the moment we can be fulfilled in being yet if we are distracted by the theater of the mind there can no real satisfaction.

Most people would be enriched by that lucid approach but most people wind up an addicted soul chasing a sugar high ego buzz of attention.

Very few will choose  to work with their consciousness to the degree and intensity that the more dedicated seekers do.

People's imagination can be intricate and complicated so the ideas and concepts ornate but also convoluted and sabotaging by overthinking it, too.

Yes the lure of the spiritual sugar high is alive and well within me.  I see it and I recognize it and so far I have not given in to the urges to run and "get" what I need because I really do know that I have what I need it's just a bit difficult trying to sort it out and then when yo think you understand exactly what is going on and you feel really good and are going along fine, something life throws you seems to get me off course again and then I have to steer the ship back to another direction and keep plugging along.  I believe now that it is supposed to be like that but of course everyone wants to go through the fast food window of spirituality... McSoul  drive through please!!! :)

On 4/23/2017 at 0:14 AM, philosogi said:

Don't forget. Your own truth speaks louder than any external information, if you're listening.

You are absolutely right my friend.  We must listen, we are the authority of our own selves right? :)

1 hour ago, LRyan said:

You are absolutely right my friend.  We must listen, we are the authority of our own selves right? :)

Not sure about the authority part ;) but I think you get the drift

What I am reading now: Smile at Fear, Chögyam Trungpa