Wind

Where Does Assumption That "you" Is A Constant Comes From?

4 posts in this topic

Watched the Leo's video about the Neti-Neti Method and I tried doing it while on mushrooms. I got some awesome insights, but while I was doing it my mind was constantly objectifying the idea of "You" being a constant. The neti-neti method is all about discarding everything that's not you to find your real you. In the video it's said that "You" is constant, so you discard everything that is not constant until you find constant. It seemed for me like an assumption itself. Where does assumption that "You" is a constant comes from?

I also at some point had this insight and experience of me being nothing more but attention. I was meditating on mushroom and during the peak as my mind was going crazy trying to hopelessly figure out where "I" am, got this glimpse of "I'm attention" - if my attention on a sensation, then I'm there, if my attention on a screen, I'm there, if my attention nowhere, then I'm there. Have anyone ever had this?

Edited by Wind

Consider checking this one out, it's short but it's gold. The title may not seem directly relevent but Gary touches on the two centers in the brain that end up controlling 9 sub-networks. One of these centers is simply active to create the sense of 'self' and 'other', and the other center's function is to create the sense of 'self' within 'linear time'. Psychedelics and meditation are known and proven to shut these two networks down. The sense of being separate from ANYTHING else, and the sense of past and future are referred to as special effects. Check out some of Gary Weber's lectures, (usually not too long) over at Science and Non-duality or youtube in general. He addresses all this stuff in more detail, and as it sinks in I can pretty much guarantee that you will be blown away. Try this first though, many inspiring and 'aha'-worthy answers in one vid. Inspiring and Truth-wringing answers always with Gary and Rich.

@Wind Yes, you are awareness.

It's not a given. You have to become conscious of it. We just assume it as a short-cut for purposes of guiding you there faster. If you want to inquire very strictly, then don't assume anything at all and derive everything from scratch. The end result will be the same.

But also, intuitively, you hold that your life has been constant. You don't believe that you stop existing every night you go to sleep. And you don't believe that every new day is a new you. The you is the same from day to day, even though all appearances change. Your consciousness itself doesn't change.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Its not an assumption, its an experience.

If by the word "you" you mean consciousness or the experiencer, then it is always the background on which all change happens.

Let us assume that the experiencer changes, then you can question - who or what is experiencing that change? And in response you will see that the change becomes an experience, and the experiencer again stands back as a background.

So everything that changes or flows becomes an experience and the "thing" that experiences those changes becomes the experiencer. This division is created by the mind out of oneness. This is the first division it creates. As soon as you include this dividing act into the experience, you will see that there is no experiencer, there is just experiencing - a dynamic oneness.

My Blog : : Pure Experiences : : Pure Knowledge