a e l i

I'm Racist And I Want To Stop

45 posts in this topic

@MissMiki i'll check that first one out then see if it changes my view.

I have to say that in keeping your culture protected is not a bad thing per se i think it can be even very respectful.

Take for example the native Americans or the aboriginals i don't know the details but they were probably better off with their own cultures then they are now. 

So i would say that works both ways i think Islam should stay out mostly from our culture and we should let them be as well and not be arrogant and try to ''civilize'' them it won't work.

And then we should treat each other respectfully but with a healthy distance, we can trade, go to travel there, and we can be curious to each other  but we should not mingle too much i think and that is not racist, people do that in their personal lives too i think that is just wise.

Ok, I will watch it again too because it's been some years, so I will probably have a different understanding completely.

Considering what you just said, I actually just read the autobiography of Russell Means (leader of the notorious American Indian Movement). He suggested that mixing between the tribes really weakend their collective cultures and believe mainstream Amreican Indian culture is now a joke of what it was in the past because of all the dilution.

I personally am very multi-cultural, which can sometimes bother people who are very tight with their heritage.  It can be frustrating sometimes, but I have chosen to surround myself with a culture that has celebrated multiculturalism for so long, that I feel like I still find depth and support, but I did feel lonely and confused for a very long time before I really found my footing and self-worth.  Questioning all my culturally-informed beliefs was probably good, but certainly not pleasant.

@MissMiki I like that we can talk normally about it as people with kind of opposing views. So i'am against multiculturalism ( and i suspect one of the few on this forum ) but i do get where u are coming from because people can go too far and become narrow minded and it becomes unthinking altogether and an automated process to love your country blindly. I also think that is just plain boring so to rebel against that seems only logical and intelligent and i think that you questioned your own cultural beliefs that is very good that does not bother me at all, for me that was a phase and now i came back from it BUT more open minded and relaxed about it. Again i think a certain dose of nationalism is a necessity. 

For me it is a paradox which i can hold tho, there should be a balance because plainly i think humans are not wired to care about the whole world equally, they care most about family and friends and maybe the nation state but if its hardwired u can't force it out so rucksichtloss so we have to accept it yourself and from others as well and with that i believe in the nation state and that our western culture is something to be protected and i respect patriotism also from other nations as much as i respect it when people have strong healthy personal boundaries as long it is not in an unthinking way.

So to remove all borders and make our culture in something that is completely arbitrary and meaningless is to slowly break down society and commit treason.

Again tho i think u questioning your own culture critically is very good anyone should do that.

I know this is a bit controversial maybe but it is something i thought deeply about and feel it strongly as well ( and well i say whatever the hell i wanna say anyway :D ).

@a e l i  Two of the best techniques I've found with getting along with people is.

1. Just talk to them. Talk to random strangers. You don't even have to be friendly. Just be you.

2. Don't talk to anyone. Sit in a quiet room by yourself and do nothing. Learn to sit and be calm just by yourself and accept reality exactly as it is.

@Steph1988 First, let's not watch la Haine.  There's too much springtime out to stay inside and watch some movie about a bunch of angsty poor kids kill eachother out of ignorance... 

I will say that you have helped me question my knee-jerk responses.  Yes, I am very rooted in multiculturalism and deal with the awkward miscommunications that happen more dynamically than most, and I like that.  I do not like the suburban environment I came from and feel that I didn't have any culture of my own, so I voraciously filled the void with anything that I saw as more beautiful and rich.  I was lucky to meet a Puerto Rican recently who had a huge passion for Irish culture, which caused me to rexamine and enjoy some of my European roots which had been severed earlier in the century.  I still totally encourage a love afair with other cultures just for fun.

It does seem like you are really moderate, and reasonable in your expecations for yourself and your country.  Yes I am aware that some Muslims think it's okay to kill because god told them so.  Just speaking for myself now, it seems pointless for me to be personally involved in that whole thing when I am more able to influence other varieties of cooks, especially through compassionate awareness.  I actually feel pretty powerful in my powerlessness.  I don't ever feel like the agressor or the agressed because I lead such a simple life. When my fellow Americans blow the danger out of proportion, to me it seems like it's entertainment and like they are sticking their heads in the sand.  I see them repost things about how horrible Mohammed was, but not getting involved in the community or going to the Islamic Center to just say hi.  I would rather see both.  No judgement though, because we only have time to do so much.  Perhaps, at this point, more what I would advocate is to be open to those organic moments of learning that arise naturally as you cross paths with other people in general, and to of course, not hide your differences too much.

As for the person who started this post, it kinda makes me giggle and think of the song "everyone's a little bit racist sometimes..."