DreamSpirit

Any New Upcoming Travel Plans Or Tips On Places Visited?

43 posts in this topic

Hey hey @DreamSpirit

Your Travel visions and plans sounds awesome :) Next year I'm done with school and want to job for a hlaf year for travelling. After that I want to travel 8 months to Southeast asia as a Backpacker, alone. But honestly  I have  got a  big load of fear cause I never travelled alone that far. Due to that i have some questions. I would love if you answer them :)

• Are 8 Months too long for backpacking? 
  • Do you recommend other world regions more like Central america ?
  • I fear that at one time I don't know what to do, when I backpack. Have you ever had the same xperience as a Backpacker ?
  • Is the personal outcome really that big like a changed world view or sth like that ?
  • And of course the story of your first Backpacker experience :)

Yeah that's the things which are driving me crazy, because in my social circle noone ever did this experience :)

With love,
Tim

I want to go to Barcelona this summer, all by myself. 

And I'd love to visit ASIA at one point.

Edited by Irina Irina

I've lived in Mexico (Baja California and Mexico City) and I can only recommend to visit, it's a beautiful country and I can't wait to get back there and explore it some more.

Upcoming travel plans: End of the week I'm getting away from the miserable weather of the UK to visit Australia, for three weeks. Heading over to Queensland to check out the rainforests and Great Barrier Reef, road trip south to the Whitsunday Islands, then a flight over to check out Sydney. Really looking forward to it. Hoping to keep up the mindfullness and make the most of taking in the scenery. I'll be taking a break from actualized.org and the forum until I get back.

Edited by FindingPeace

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

On 3/9/2016 at 1:33 AM, KeepPounding said:

Hey hey @DreamSpirit

Your Travel visions and plans sounds awesome :) Next year I'm done with school and want to job for a hlaf year for travelling. After that I want to travel 8 months to Southeast asia as a Backpacker, alone. But honestly  I have  got a  big load of fear cause I never travelled alone that far. Due to that i have some questions. I would love if you answer them :)

• Are 8 Months too long for backpacking? 
  • Do you recommend other world regions more like Central america ?
  • I fear that at one time I don't know what to do, when I backpack. Have you ever had the same xperience as a Backpacker ?
  • Is the personal outcome really that big like a changed world view or sth like that ?
  • And of course the story of your first Backpacker experience :)

Yeah that's the things which are driving me crazy, because in my social circle noone ever did this experience :)

With love,
Tim

Hey Tim!  Those are great questions!!  I applaud you for wanting to see more of this world, from which you came, and explore and learn.  Traveling is the best education you can get.  If you want to learn about something, just get out there and do it, so traveling allows you to do just that!!  8 months is actually a good amount of time.  I backpacked for a year and a half, until I ran out of money haha.  Some people are still out there traveling.  And yes, I think Asia will be great for you.  

That's where I went when I started out.  There are some really affordable places in Asia that will stretch your money like Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, China, Taiwan, etc.  Asia is very affordable!  Central America is too, so if you get tired of Asia, head to Central America.  And what I do when I don't know what to do or where to go...I simply buy a Lonely Planet guidebook for the country I want to visit and start by looking at their pictures; just allow yourself to get excited.  Once you find something that intrigues you, the Lonely Planet guidebook will tell you how to get there and everything, so go from there and the journey begins.  

You'll meet people who are open-minded and cool, just like you and you'll be amazed at how awesome this world is.  You'll start to find out more about life, more about other people's perspective on life, more about your perspective on life.  Your IQ will increase, your imagination and creativity will be sparked because you're exposing yourself to sites unseen and things you never knew existed.  You're going to have an awesome time!

I actually was in India once and I went over to Nepal just because it was next door.  I didn't have any idea what was there haha.  I didn't have a Lonely Planet guidebook or anything, I was just going to go and see what this country was all about.  All I knew about this country was that it was the country with the unique-shaped flag haha.  So, I get there and get to this town called Pokhara and the owner of the guesthouse told me to go up on the roof because it was a clear day.  The guesthouse was only like 4 stories, so I didn't see why it was a big deal.  But, I went up there anyway and that's where I saw what would be the highlight of my ENTIRE trip...the HIMALAYAS!!!  I couldn't believe it.  I was so taken back by the stance and presence of those mountains.  It was beautiful!!!  I felt privileged to be there and see this.  The very next day, I went and hiked the himalayas and made it to the Annapurna Base Camp.  Took me 5 days to get up and only 2 to get back down.  It was the time of my life!!!  I never will forget seeing those mountains for the first time.  It was very spiritual for me and I felt so connected!!  And now I'm able to say that for my 30th birthday, I trekked the Himalayas!  Things like that will happen for you when you travel, possibilities will open up for you that you never were aware of.  So, I highly suggest getting out of your home country and comfort zone and expanding your awareness on the beauty of this world.  There's so much to be said for that! :D

I want to dedicate my entire life to traveling but I'm not sure how to get started. I know that I don't want a 9 to 5 corporate job, nor have a wife and a family, nor own a house. I want to focus on traveling and absorbing myself in new cultures. One of my ideas is to become an English teacher so i can be employed while abroad. My top destinations are Australia, Ireland, England, Thailand, the rest of the United States and so many other places. 

@Zane You're off to a great start!  If you're a native English speaker, you'll have a foot in the door already for making money abroad.  I started in South Korea, teaching English over there and the pay allowed me to save up enough to travel all around Asia.  It's easily doable if you're willing to teach English.  Have you heard of Daves Esl Cafe?  You can go to eslcafe.com and there are tons of international english teaching jobs posted there.  You can just pick where you want to go.  Traveling is the key to life if you ask me.  There's so much to be said about the world and so much to be learned.  When you travel, you get firsthand knowledge.  There's nothing like leaving the nest and going abroad.

17 hours ago, DreamSpirit said:

@Zane You're off to a great start!  If you're a native English speaker, you'll have a foot in the door already for making money abroad.  I started in South Korea, teaching English over there and the pay allowed me to save up enough to travel all around Asia.  It's easily doable if you're willing to teach English.  Have you heard of Daves Esl Cafe?  You can go to eslcafe.com and there are tons of international english teaching jobs posted there.  You can just pick where you want to go.  Traveling is the key to life if you ask me.  There's so much to be said about the world and so much to be learned.  When you travel, you get firsthand knowledge.  There's nothing like leaving the nest and going abroad.

That's exactly my plan! I plan to teach English in South Korea but i'm not sure of how i can take action on it. I have grand aspirations but I need to take action on accomplishing it! The reason i talk to travelers is to learn how they accomplished their traveling.

On 13 February 2016 at 0:22 AM, DreamSpirit said:

Where are you headed?  Need any advice on places you'll be traveling to?  I'm an avid backpacker.  I've traveled to over 14 different countries.  If you have any questions about travel; let's share our travel perspectives on the countries we've visited with people who are heading that way.  Post your questions and travel tips here! :D 

Yes Please! 

I am backpacking for the first time, this summer; Thailand>Cambodia>Vietnam over 6 weeks. I am a bit nervous since I have never really 'backpacked' before, I need to get used to this minimalistic type of travel! I am going alone, but I'm good at making friends along the way :) 

I have the lonely plant 'southeast asia on a shoestring' book which looks packed full of information. But I am still deciding on the most efficient route, and which places to visit? I don't want to just end up in places with full moon parties and all the typical touristy stuff. I do want to visit some monks and temples however! :) 

What would be your best tips?  Also I am booking a flight into and out of Bangkok... the Itinerary in between in yet to be decided. I do want to leave some flexibility for spontaneous travel! 

Edited by Flower

'The end of fear is the beginning of all wisdom'

@Flower  Hi :D  that's great you're venturing out into worlds unknown!  You're going to have an amazing trip! Asia is a great place to start for first-time backpackers; it's cheap and friendly, and most of all safe if you can stay away from the drinking scene.  I've done Thailand, Chang Rai and Bangkok...those were really cool places.  Be ready to bargain everywhere you go.  I've also done Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh and a couple of other cities, be ready to face crazy traffic!  I've never done Cambodia, I did Laos instead, so I have to go back for Cambodia.

You've got the right idea for leaving an open itinerary.  You don't want to have too much planned.  So much can happen on the road and before you know it, you've met some other cool backpackers who want to invite you to where they're going.  It's best to leave it open like you're doing.  Overlanding it to other countries is much cheaper, too.  Sometimes taking a bus gives you a chance to see more of the country's landscaping and take in how beautiful it really is.  

Your Lonely Planet book is really all you need; it will give you the best tips on where to stay away from and where to go on a budget.  Eat lots of street food and keep an open mind.  Good on you for wanting to dive into the culture and learn about their history and temples; as soon you as can, befriend a local.  They'll give you sooo much more information and insight into their country.  What I usually do is get on Facebook and start reaching out to people who are there, they could be locals or expats and I just send messages asking them about their trip; they'll have the most current information for you.  Staying at hostels are a great way to make friends.  You'll meet other people traveling alone and you guys can link up and do things together.  

Be sure not to carry large amounts of cash on you; have a backup card in case you lose your main one.  Also, you don't want to carry purses if you don't have to...keep things in your pockets.  When going into poorer areas, don't dress too flashy, dress down.  Learning a little bit of the language before you go takes the target off of you as a tourist.  When you're there, you can also look into doing things like WOOFing (Working on Organic Farms); they cover your housing and food in exchange for a few hours of farm work.  There's also Couchsurfing, too.  I haven't used it yet, but I hear it's a great way to get around and meet people when you're traveling.  Make sure your passport has more than 6 months left on it before you head out or they won't let you in.  Overall, you're good to go with the Lonely Planet though.  Thumb through the pictures and pick out something you want to learn about and it will tell you how to get there.  Once you get to the country, you'll find way more information on what's happening though.  Hmmm, that's all I can think of for now.  Let me know if you have any other questions that come up for you.  

I think traveling is the best education a human can have.  It's real life right in front of you firsthand.  You'll learn so much about yourself and the world and be prepared because when you come back, you will not be the same :D  Kudos to you :D 

@DreamSpirit

Thank you so very much for your lovely advice and words of encouragement! I am really excited and not so frightened anymore. :) Nothing is to be feared.. only conquered ;):P 

5 hours ago, DreamSpirit said:

think traveling is the best education a human can have.  It's real life right in front of you firsthand.  You'll learn so much about yourself and the world and be prepared because when you come back, you will not be the same :D  Kudos to you

Yes absolutely agree with you. After 3 years at university I am now starting to feel like it is time for some proper education. 

Hope you get to travel to Cambodia soon!. :) 

'The end of fear is the beginning of all wisdom'

Wanting to visit Egypt badly.  I think I'll just wait until ISIS calm down a bit though. ¬¬

Edited by Evilwave Heddy

Anybody have any experience with maintaining their spiritual practices while on the road? I am soon to be beginning a travel journey to Asia which is more than likely going to be the start of a good few years of travel experiences. The experience itself is likely to enlighten me but any tips or experience with maintaining meditation/yoga habits and keeping that connection burning whilst on the move!? I am sure I will adapt and find space for it, as its so central to my life but any advice would be great!

@DreamSpirit

@Spence94 Yes, Asia is the place for meditating and yoga, as it began in India...it's BIG in certain parts of Asia.  Most countries you go to will have meditation and yoga groups set up.  There are temples everywhere!!  I first got into meditating when I was there.  I had never done it before, so going to Asia, you can't miss it.  If you buy a lonely planet guidebook for the country you want to go to, it will give you an updated version on what groups are in that area and you can reach out to them.  Also, check on Facebook for expats living there and reach out to them.  They'll keep you in the know on that kind of thing.  Thailand, Korea, Laos, Vietnam, India, Burma, Cambodia are all places where meditation would be in huge practice.

I can suggest you to go to Tallinn http://tripity.eu

There is plenty to see and do in Tallinn during the summertime.

From visiting a large variety of meuseums, Churches, Parks, walking around the beautiful Old town of tallinn through the twisted Old cobblestone streets, (would recommend going to the handcraft shops, glass blowing shop etc.)Pirita beach and the yacht club is very nice in the summertime, you can also book a yacht trip which is not that expensive.

Tallinn is much more personel, has history and a beautiful Old Town and is half the price of helsinki.

A must as thats the truth.

Stag groups has been blown up by the press. In my option, yes there is stag groups each weekend they normally come on Thurday and leave on Sunday. But we are talking no more than around 60 people per weekend.

Just dont go to the popular Pubs and cheap bars and you will never see them.

There are so many small bars, restaurants etc in Tallinn you are spoilt for choice.

@DreamSpirit Ow man I have so much anxiety just reading you :P

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

I would highly recommend going alone.  Those are great regions to start with, inexpensive and friendly people.  I've always wanted to go to TIbet; it was only like $500 from Nepal, but I didn't want to spend that much.  I ended up going to Malaysia for $300 instead; which I loved!!  So you'll have a blast if you just go your own way and buy a lonely planet guidebook to read up on the country.  It has everything about that  country you can imagine.  Also, once you get there, you find out more from other travelers too. :D