electroBeam

Any Way Of Reducing The Existential Fear From Meditation?

44 posts in this topic

What Leo Gura said was pretty funny, but I am still seriously looking for advice on how to alleviate existential fear, so if anyone has some, still post here.

11 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

but I am still seriously looking for advice on how to alleviate existential fear

Fear is one of the doors from where one enters into one’s being. 

So allow the fear. Tremble with it, let it shake your foundations – and enjoy it as a deep experience of stirring. Don’t take any attitude about fear. In fact, don’t call it fear; the moment you have called it fear you have taken an attitude. You have already condemned it; you have already said that it is wrong, that it should not be there. You are already on guard, already escaping, running away. In a very subtle way you have broken yourself away from it. So don’t call it fear. This is one of the most essential things – to stop calling things names. Just watch the feeling of it, the way it is.

If you allow fear to take possession of you, your hair will stand on end. Then for the first time you will know what a beautiful phenomenon fear is. In that turmoil, in that cyclone, you will come to know that there is still a point somewhere within you which is absolutely untouched. And if fear cannot touch it, then death cannot touch it. There is darkness and fear all around, with just a small center absolutely transcendental to it.

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@electroBeam Aren't you bored of being scared yet?

How long you gonna play these silly games?

Get enlightened and get on with your life already! ...rather than furiously jerking off to yourself in the mirror.

You're like the groundhog who surfaced to jerk off to himself, but mid-way through saw his own shadow, got scared, hid back in his little dank hole, only to repeat the whole thing the next day, bragging about it to his groundhog friends.

;)

So Leo, have you tried the mirror-gazing-meditation thing yourself?

Since your post here seems to reflect your condescending view on it, I bet you must have and then found it useless, right?

Either that, or you forgot your own open-mindedness ideals, and just bashed it based on your thoughts about it, without even having tried it yourself.

?

Edited by WaveInTheOcean

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

5 hours ago, electroBeam said:

What Leo Gura said was pretty funny, but I am still seriously looking for advice on how to alleviate existential fear, so if anyone has some, still post here.

The only way to alleviate existential fear, is to let it overwhelm you, instead of backing off.

There is nothing to do actually, just let it be.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@electroBeam

I know your looking for some advice on how to alleviate your fear, let me give the hard truth.

There is no alleviation, the self that wants to escape the fear is the fear!

And to put it frankly, if your ego can't even handle some gazing into the mirror, how the fuck are you ever going to reach the absolute. You won't.

And you will waist years of your life.

in theory all this enlightenment stuff sounds very nice to people. But when push comes to shove, who is gona take the leap into the unknown, Fear or no fear.

You can lay down and surrender yourself right now! But not a lot wana do that. Most people wana work up to that. Fucking ridiculous!

Do you think Leo didn't have mountains of fear when taking 5 meo for the second time? But fuck it! And fuck fear! Are you going to let it control you for the rest of your life? Or surrender the fearful ego, whether it goes kicking or screaming or not.

Think about it. :)

@Callum A Wont going into the unknown cause the dark night of the soul and send people into a deep depression? Sure people can surrender right now, but there are real consequences, its not like its all just a joke. 

I do find gazing meditation to be especially effective though. Like maybe even as effective as shrooms(which I have consumed shrooms 4g before).

@electroBeam

I don't know anything about the dark night of the soul ( enlightenments evil twin?) And quiet frankly do not care. The only security one can find is in the grave. There is no security, security is for the dead not the living. 

Any sense of security is a fleeting phenomenon. Isn't it?

Look I am not trying to put you down at all, I have have tremendous fear come up for me many times, but this is the egos resistance, it doesn't want to let go, it wonts to survive any way it can. So the fear comes as a manipulation to get you to avoid doing what you doing. But by you asking how to avoid it shows you are getting intagled in this bluff of the mind. 

Letting go right now may have serious repercussions, or may allow for complete freedom instead. 

And why can't it be a joke, is not you trying to look for you! the biggest joke of all? Its like looking around your house for your favourite hat when its infact on top of your head lol 

Sounds like a pretty funny joke to me.

7 hours ago, electroBeam said:

I am still seriously looking for advice on how to alleviate existential fear, so if anyone has some, still post here.

@electroBeam As long as there is self there will be fear. Let me share something with you that happened just last night. I woke in the middle of the night with that strange feeling that I didn't exist. Probably the same fear you get when looking in the mirror. So I faced it and let go into that sense of no self and it became perfectly clear that the self and fear is nothing more than a paper tiger. Something amazing had happened that swept away all that fear in an instant. The existential self was completely gone and all that remained was spirit inhabiting this body. No self. No birth. No death. No fear.  Just spirit.

I understand to you these words may be absolutely meaningless. So the only way this can become your truth too is for you to face the fears of the existential self (the paper tiger) and find what lies beyond. I think that is what is missing here that is causing your fear. You haven't gone quite far enough yet to fully break through to the other side. Your only going far enough to scare yourself. When you do finally go all the way, everything will than fall into place.

@electroBeam I gotta suggestion for your practice. Get out into nature and try doing the same no-self practice you do but instead of looking into the mirror look into nature and lose yourself.

On another note. You got me thinking now what is a face ?   On a surface level nothing more than genetic make up that was influenced over millennia by it's environment into a certain configuration. A face has a long vertical protrusion in the center with two small openings at the bottom that allow the atmosphere (oxygen) to be inhaled. And conveniently located on the bottom so that rain doesn't fill them. Haha Than there's a larger opening below that is specifically designed for the consumption and breakdown of raw nutrients. Yea, that's a pretty sight. Than the eyes and ears. And what's up with that long stringy stuff growing out of the top of the head? (with the exception of Leo of course).

People talk about seeing aliens in their sleep or whatever. Maybe they're just  recollecting their earliest memories of seeing a human face for the first time. No wonder newborns cry! Woa!

Edited by cetus56

@cetus56

What is a face indeed. Historically, it is as you say, that is how it evolved.
Noting also, it is what works best on this earth, to eat, breathe, see, hear. It has evolved organically to attract a mate from the opposite sex easier.
It has nothing to do with perception or our enlightened truth. It is designed for this world and by this world, evolving over countless generations, from the first microbe to emerge in the primordial soup, billions of years ago. My face, is just a tiny evolution from my father and mothers faces. 

No one has ever even seen his own face (quoting a Leo video here :) )

A face in a mirror is an illusion. The light in our room is a giant photon broadcaster, these photons bounce of everything in the room, including our face. They get reflected by the mirror, back into our eyes.
Inside the eyes, these photons are focused by the lens in the front of the eye, they then fall onto the retina. The retina is biological tissue that when excited by photons generates electrical impulses. These impulses get send trough the optic nerve into the brain. The brain then uses these electrical impulses to make an image.

Nobody ever saw a face. Seeing a face is as real as feeling a face with the hands, but the hands generate different electrical impulses to show us form. Why are we so attached to what light brings us? Why do we identify so much with the history of photons (they traveled a distance over a very short time, so we're looking into the past always) ?

It doesn't stop there. We are not seeing a face in our minds, we are seeing a big scene, and our mind interprets the various facets into components that have meaning for us. Light in itself doesn't hold concepts such as face, feet, hands. This is thought and mind doing this cataloging, it is not our being or reality.  In reality, it is just one big screen filled with colors and shapes, without meaning. This is why, beginning artists when learning to copy a picture of a face onto a drawing, they will turn the picture upside down. Doing this the mind is not constantly thinking "FACE, NOSE, MOUTH, EARS", because it cannot recognize it upside down. It then becomes an abstract form without meaning, making it easier just to draw the lines and shadows and colors as we see them. A photocopy machine doesn't need to know about people or faces, to make perfect copies every time.
This is why being an artist is not about learning how to draw, its about learning how to see. Which i wish i could :) 

I find this an interesting thread, i too have my own fear issues, tho not with mirrors and self image in them. So i found all your posts so far very enlightening, thank you!

There may be a factor of letting go, that causes fear for some of us? The fear of losing our self?

@cetus56 Losing yourself in nature is certainly fun. That's definitely a good practice. But sometimes nature is so exciting that I'll get caught up in the sensory experiences, and that'll distract me from finding the creator of the sensory xperiences. How would yoy avoid that?

Haha true a face is very strange, but realizing it doesn't belong to you existentially tends to freak an ego out.

On 31/03/2017 at 1:29 AM, electroBeam said:

But this meditation techniques is very very scary. Forgetting who the person is in the mirror/realizing its not you, and then realizing that the 'thing' who is aware of experience is not real, is soooo scary. Its like combining 1000 horror movies into 1.

What is aware of the experience is the real you. It is only the false you, the ego-I, the self-image, that is fearful. 'Move' into the 'undefinedness'; it is wonderful - and you do not lose anything you really want to retain.

2 hours ago, electroBeam said:

@cetus56 Losing yourself in nature is certainly fun. That's definitely a good practice. But sometimes nature is so exciting that I'll get caught up in the sensory experiences, and that'll distract me from finding the creator of the sensory xperiences. How would yoy avoid that?

Haha true a face is very strange, but realizing it doesn't belong to you existentially tends to freak an ego out.

Focus on your breath, feel your body, and look without seeking anything.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

4 hours ago, electroBeam said:

Losing yourself in nature is certainly fun. That's definitely a good practice. But sometimes nature is so exciting that I'll get caught up in the sensory experiences, and that'll distract me from finding the creator of the sensory xperiences

@electroBeam I like to find a more secluded spot in the woods and just sit and listen to the wind. And usually a few birds will pass by. But yea, if you lose yourself out there it can be very transforming. If your mind is very still, it can feel as if God the creator is looking through your eyes. Contemplate on that. (hint-hint)

As another practice I'll sometimes focus on the sound of one bird chirping in a nearby tree. Than bring that sound from the external world into the internal. It's wild b-c the bird's chirp honestly sounds like it's happening inside my head. Than I contemplate the location of the bird. See how the lines between self and other are becoming blurred now?

So that's my losing the self in nature practice. I like to get away from familiar surroundings that keep me stuck in myself. Out there I can easily lose my sense of self and other. All the divisions fall away and everything becomes one field of existence. A none dual state, I guess that's called. For me that none dual state is realized with the least resistance in nature so it's easier to get a lasting direct experience to contemplate on. Or just sit with it.

why you are hurting yourself, this is only more thoughts, you need to see behind this mental procceses you are doing

whatever you seeing in the mirror is inseparable from you and reality, don't try to fight with it

to desintify

there is no identification is always being itself

One’s center is not one’s center, it is the center of the whole. 

And the ego-center is one’s center.

That is the only difference, but that is a vast difference.- 

39 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

it can feel as if God the creator is looking through your eyes. 

Does enlightenment go further than that, or is that enlightenment? I mean if one was in that state 24/7?

@electroBeam enlightenment is not a state

is true understanding without appearances

One’s center is not one’s center, it is the center of the whole. 

And the ego-center is one’s center.

That is the only difference, but that is a vast difference.- 

6 hours ago, electroBeam said:

Does enlightenment go further than that, or is that enlightenment? I mean if one was in that state 24/7?

@electroBeam I'm sure it goes much farther, I can't even imagine from my perspective. IF you could stay at that level of consciousness 24/7 you would have to be a fu#@ing saint though. It requires absolute stillness of mind which is hard to maintain every moment. At least for me anyway. By the time I get back home it's all me again with the outside world on the outside. But it's nice to visit and insights can be gained from it. I guess it could be likened to a mini 5meo experience from what Leo explains in his endeavors about becoming one with the dirt on the bathroom floor and seeing God in it. Of course not that intense though.

@cetus56 i was asking because this is what "i feel" at the end of my gazing mirror meditation. This is what causes me fear.