beatlemantis

How To Stop A Food Addiction Without Brute-force?

28 posts in this topic

@beatlemantis The trick is to brute force fore a couple of days, so you see the benefits. Also write down pros and cons for eating healthy/unhealty is a easy thing to do. + each time you eat, tell yourself "this is the most loving thing i can do to my body" regardless what you eat. 

On 29/03/2017 at 9:35 PM, Vaishnavi said:

I can tell you what works for me, something i'm currently practising. Just be aware every time you eat something you think you shouldn't be eating or something that's unhealthy. Wafers or potato chips per say, every time you eat it, just feel it completely, take it slow and feel the wafer completely, all of it, and in all honesty, you'll not enjoy it at all, in fact you'll realise and feel the grease and salt and you'll realise it sucks. Watch leo's video on awareness and trust me, it works, but be patient because it can take some time to develop that mindfulness but it will, it will happen and it's quite solid and long term, you just won't feel like eating any of those anymore -_-

I think I am mindful about what I am eating. It doesn't help me though. I think it's probably compensation for something that I don't get. Emotional crutch at times. In fact, being aware of the reason helps more, I believe.

The overeating and eating unhealthy or addictive stuff can have several reasons, I notice. First, you might be just all hungry and there's no other food around so you binge on unhealthy (of course, you might have cooked something healthy, but you feel lazy and already super hungry so you go for the fast solution). Second, it can be because you are doing something you don't actually like, i.e. something you force yourself doing. So to compensate for it you start eating stuff that tastes really good. 

@ElenaO Yeah. So the first part is laziness and the second is emotions.I think that laziness is an emotion as well. I have seen a lot of people who are gaining weight,(myself included) and I think that it all has to do with emotions. I don't like being so black-white as far as my beliefs,but Ive seen it so much around,that I can't find any other reason for people overeating. I mean, some of them are staying at home all day and trying to have something that excites them so they eat,other people use food to cope with a break up,or the loss of a beloved person,or they were being abused at the past,or theyre trying to numb their pain after a surgery,or they have no friends and that hurts them. There are a ton of reasons. We,as humans,use food and abuse it,to cope with emotions sometimes. Not everybody not everytime,but some of us.The same thing with undereating.

So its like a relief. And I believe that,because I dont think that there is a person who actually really likes to overeat (because we all like food much or less) and just overeats for the sake of overeating. Because you can eat something and then you fullfil this need (which is biological) and thats it! But when you continuously eat and eat and eat all the time,and huge portions,then its not about need for hunger,its a need for emotions.

Edited by egoeimai

The tragic part is when people let themselves at a point weighing 600pounds (my600lb-life lol) and that is very hard to watch because these are the people who hadnt even deal with their emotions for years,and they never brought themselves up,be cheerful and stuff,but they continued to live this way waiting for their death. 

It was an extreme example,but just to bring another one...Ive seen some people who are lying to themselves for years. There is a girl who's nearly my age and she was overweight from a very young age she had also bad influence because her 2 parents were always fat. Not only overweight but fat. So the years passed by and she is still overweight. She has accepted it and its so good for her mental state but its so bad for her body because she still has these freaking excuses in order to stay overweight. I dont think there is a person who is born overweight and all this crappy excuses. Thats why I think some people use food in order to cope with emotions. She could have lost all the weight all these years but she has those limiting beliefs its sad. She will be married by the end of August. I hope someday she change her mind and lose the weight because it is not only because of her looks but more important about her health.

We can all lose the excess weight. If we stop victimizing ourselves and put ourselves in a position of powerfulness...And there is a secret. If you find why you were eating at the first place,you will find what to do in order to get back where you were. Or find a reason to be healthy. What works for everybody solely.

@egoeimai I am overwheight and I've thought about it and surfaced lots of hidden emotional issues. But now I am again eating junk because it gives me pleasure after toughness of life. I think if I would gain this much pleasure this consistently and this easy from something else healthier, I'd totally go for it. But there is nothing fitting the profile. I can always go for drugs and alcohol, but better to stay safe with food. I also am addicted to talking to people, watching anime, musical videos, fapping and dominating other people. I currently think the only way it could be helped without becoming a neurotic (fitness/vegan maniac or somethin like that) and deliberately screwing up my progress, is immersing into high consciousness minimalistic Leo-style lifestyle where I'm always working towards higher awareness, mindfullness, concentration, ignorance removal and truth - and possibly towards the word we all know starting with 'e'. Leo says it correctly - we are overstimulated by society, but he pushes that we must force and discipline ourselves away from it. I think we must know and aware ourselves from it. Become aware of your life in it's entirety. Food is just like a 10% portion of our lifes - we need a general mindfull living understanding of what we are, what we strife for hour by hour day by day. Only than in this light one would be able to know the rules of ones brain inner workings and fix the broken mechanisms holistically. This is something I'm starting to actively work on now. All this should become Effortless after 0.5-1-2-3 years counting from the point when all obvious emotional stuff is healed. Effortlessness calls for no discipline. If you hate to pursue such a lifestyle - ask yourself "Why?" again and again - and you'll find new local ego issues in your past traumas or in your false beliefs about the world or people or yourself. 

Edited by Alex K

The easiest and most effective way of getting rid of any addiction is abstinence.

You're not really craving for the particular stimulus - sugar, cocaine, or alcohol - but for the surge of neurochemicals, you release. In particular, dopamine. Research has shown that the highest dopamine release doesn't happen when getting the reward - eating the candy or shooting coke - but during the anticipation of the reward - you really getting excited about it.

Why can't you stop? Because you're stuck in the feedback loop - cue, routine, reward. You have to get out of the vicious cycle and distance yourself from the stimulus for a while. This way, your dopamine receptors can reset themselves. The same thing happens with insulin resistance, caffeine tolerance, and alcohol addiction - you need more and more to get the same effect.

So, the best way to overcome any food addiction is to FAST for a few days. This way, your taste buds will be reset and your mind will be rejuvenated as well. In my own experience, I always attain a much clearer and long-term perspective on nutrition after a long fast. Try it out.

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w