beatlemantis

How To Stop A Food Addiction Without Brute-force?

28 posts in this topic

Hi all - recently, I've really started to realize how unhealthy of a relationship I have with food. I've lost 20-30 pounds in the past 6 or so months, all due to a "magic pill" that suppressed my appetite and allowed me to choose more healthy, enriching foods - as I had no craving for anything. Well, one night, I woke up with intense stomach pains after a few weeks of indigestion. After that, I decided I didn't like the dependency I had on the pill, and that these health effects were not worth the pounds I was shedding. So I cut it out of my system. 

In the days thereafter, I was completely avid with hunger. I snacked like I did before the pill; on chips, cookies, and whathaveyou - and still couldn't seem to be satisfied. And that's pretty much where I'm at right now after finishing a massive meatball sandwich...

I know I shouldn't be eating the foods I do. And I know that brute-forcing healthy vegetables and fruits does not last long. I'd rather replace the "I know I should do this" with "I want to be doing this". Guilting is a trap I fall far too easy in. 

So, my question is: how can I form that sustainable, healthy food habit without brute-force? Would reading nutrition books help? What have you guys done to dedicate yourselves to nutritious eating, without throwing yourself through hoops to do it? 

I appreciate any feedback on this, thanks so much. 

I went vegan cold turkey. Or turkey isnt vegan. 

First couple days i had shakes and figured id give up.. Just eat meat. Just eat meat.

Then i researched into vegan. Cook books vegan apps. Ralph smart has some great opinions on his list. 

We can eat healthy great food just have to prepare and know the preparation.

Snack foods are easy and promote laziness.

Grab a baf of chips or microwave your ramen. Heck go have the cat down the road throw your diet into a brown sack through window without common courtesy to give you a napkin to wipe up. 

Live for a smoothie. Find new passion for food again. Love life. Live love.

Without forcing it? Actually by taking small steps.

But to me,this is boring. When I want change,I want it now. But my impatience leads me to where I was before_because I do it cold turkey,and it never works long term.

I think you should find why you tend to eat unhealthy foods and just deal with your emotions before they even come to challenge you. 

Addiction is a strong word,dont use it. I wouldn't If I was in your shoes. The better you feel about this subject,the better it will get. 

@egoeimai Good point on the emotional part. I think I definitely need to take note of how it effects me before I get anywhere near the kitchen. Thanks! I'll look for a more positive, accepting route. 

4 hours ago, beatlemantis said:

@egoeimai Good point on the emotional part. I think I definitely need to take note of how it effects me before I get anywhere near the kitchen. Thanks! I'll look for a more positive, accepting route. 

What i did before going vegan was a very detailed investigation in what is REALLY healthy food and what was in the food, drinks, soaps, shapoo;s  i was eating and useing at the time. Its not that easy course there are a lot who are claiming oppesites facts/or opinions. So i found a way out of that mess by finding out what really is in our food that shouldnt be there. By finding the resonance frequencies of the poisions/ additives, so i had prove for myself.

After that to find good food that was a search too cause what is sold by healthstores is far from healty.

Anyway by doing that my body automaticly resisted meat, chips, alcohol etc etc.

And i made it a bit interesting by experimenting with fruit coctails to search for the best tasting drink i can possibly make. I made a lot bad ones by the way tasted like shit.

So this way i didnt have to force myself. It was a nice that it was a byproduct of my litlle search.

@Tibor That's a great way of getting at it. I think doing some thorough research would really benefit me and naturally wean me off those foods. I appreciate your input - so good to hear that someone else is successful in this. Thanks!

21 minutes ago, beatlemantis said:

That's a great way of getting at it. I think doing some thorough research would really benefit me and naturally wean me off those foods. I appreciate your input - so good to hear that someone else is successful in this. Thanks!

Youll get there cause the more you know the higher your vibration will be towards food. Therefore your body wants also a higher vibrational food.

Thats because of the law of attraction.

12 minutes ago, Tibor said:

Youll get there cause the more you know the higher your vibration will be towards food. Therefore your body wants also a higher vibrational food.

Thats because of the law of attraction.

Ding-ding-ding. SO many bells just went off. I'm still settling into this mindset of why's rather than should's. Thanks so much, man. 

I can tell you what works for me, something i'm currently practising. Just be aware every time you eat something you think you shouldn't be eating or something that's unhealthy. Wafers or potato chips per say, every time you eat it, just feel it completely, take it slow and feel the wafer completely, all of it, and in all honesty, you'll not enjoy it at all, in fact you'll realise and feel the grease and salt and you'll realise it sucks. Watch leo's video on awareness and trust me, it works, but be patient because it can take some time to develop that mindfulness but it will, it will happen and it's quite solid and long term, you just won't feel like eating any of those anymore -_-

6 minutes ago, Vaishnavi said:

I can tell you what works for me, something i'm currently practising. Just be aware every time you eat something you think you shouldn't be eating or something that's unhealthy. Wafers or potato chips per say, every time you eat it, just feel it completely, take it slow and feel the wafer completely, all of it, and in all honesty, you'll not enjoy it at all, in fact you'll realise and feel the grease and salt and you'll realise it sucks. Watch leo's video on awareness and trust me, it works, but be patient because it can take some time to develop that mindfulness but it will, it will happen and it's quite solid and long term, you just won't feel like eating any of those anymore -_-

And what happens next? That BAD feeling will prevent you from eating unhealthy next time? Negative motivation? Does it work for you? 

What happens If you are not aware at all ? 

1 minute ago, egoeimai said:

And what happens next? That BAD feeling will prevent you from eating unhealthy next time? Negative motivation? Does it work for you? 

I don't really consider this as negative motivation, it's only a simple way of developing awareness about what you are putting in your system, really. The awareness regarding the what and how of the food we eat, and why we eat it in the first place, and it isn't the bad feeling that will prevent you but the realisation of the fact that the unhealthy food doesn't even have the taste or the tang in the first place, it simply is a medium of releasing chemical in your head, a stimulation, and when you develop that awareness, you can feel that chemical release in your head, you can see through the whole process and that awareness can bring all the change over time, and yes, it works for me. 

7 minutes ago, egoeimai said:

What happens If you are not aware at all ? 

Then you continue to put the shit in your system and it becomes your sedative, something I personally struggle with. 

1 minute ago, Vaishnavi said:

can bring all the change over time, and yes, it works for me. 

something I personally struggle with. 

Im glad it works but to be honest being so aware and observing those steps sounds pretty difficult and unknown to me. It sounds a good idea tho. Btw I dont think I know how to do it and If I can.

The struggle will no longer be around because I see you're trying. Well done,keep on going.

2 minutes ago, egoeimai said:

Im glad it works but to be honest being so aware and observing those steps sounds pretty difficult and unknown to me. It sounds a good idea tho. Btw I dont think I know how to do it and If I can.

Try watching leo's video on it, and I've personally experienced that you can apply this principle to anything at all and it's quite powerful so don't miss on this one :)

Hi! I can relate to your problem. Having the dicipline with your food can be a good and necessary thing. Finding out why you got overweight in the first place can be very important aswell. Did you use food to supress abandonment, anexiety etc? Friuts are wonderful snacks! Mangoes, dates, figs and bananas!

Hallå

5 minutes ago, Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj said:

Hi! I can relate to your problem. Having the dicipline with your food can be a good and necessary thing. Finding out why you got overweight in the first place can be very important aswell. Did you use food to supress abandonment, anexiety etc? Friuts are wonderful snacks! Mangoes, dates, figs and bananas!

I think I do it because of childhood's trauma which I translated as abandonment and cold relationship with father. 

But Im glad I cope with food and not drugs. We can exercise. And learn! And exercise! And learn! 

The most challenging things is to have the discipline to do them. To be honest not exactly discipline but to find enjoyment  in those things that never seen as enjoyable ! 

28 minutes ago, egoeimai said:

I think I do it because of childhood's trauma which I translated as abandonment and cold relationship with father. 

But Im glad I cope with food and not drugs. We can exercise. And learn! And exercise! And learn! 

The most challenging things is to have the discipline to do them. To be honest not exactly discipline but to find enjoyment  in those things that never seen as enjoyable ! 

I have the same issue. I have this weird memory of being home alone as a kid, feeling lonely, abandoned, anxious and looking for crackers. It's sounds so silly when writing it down but that's the truth, lol.

YES! Moving around and eating healthy makes you feel SO GOOD after a while. :) 

Hallå

1 minute ago, Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj said:

I have the same issue. I have this weird memory of being home alone as a kid, feeling lonely, abandoned, anxious and looking for crackers. It's sounds so silly when writing it down but that's the truth, lol.

YES! Moving around and eating healthy makes you feel SO GOOD after a while. :) 

At least we were cute&chubby kids. Lol.