Phil King

Phil Kings Life Purpose Journal

87 posts in this topic

Finally watched The Godfather. It was free on YT. 8.5+/10, i get the hype. Still, in terms of mafia movies, I think GoodFellas is the best. 

Ive been reading a lot of marketing books. Expert Secrets and No BS Series by Russel Brunson and Dan Kennedy. Very valuable insights

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been enjoying reading your journal these past few weeks, you're doing awesome man!

I've got two questions, do you read multiple books at once and how often are you reading a day? That's something I'm struggling with at the moment and something I intend to proactively change, but got no clue how. I'm trying to find a way to read more whilst also taking notes which will be helpful in me understanding the material.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lost_polymath said:

do you read multiple books at once and how often are you reading a day?

Yeah I usually am reading 3-5 books at a time. In terms of time per day, it fluxuates a lot. Ill have some weeks where I dont read at all, but this past week Ive been reading like 4+ hours a day. Ive also been working on speed reading

13 hours ago, lost_polymath said:

That's something I'm struggling with at the moment and something I intend to proactively change, but got no clue how

A good way Ive found to get out of reading slumps is to read some really short books under like 100 pages just to get momentum. I also like to read books revolving around the same topic so it helps stick in my mind better. I recently read 4 books on developmental/evolutionary psychology and the books get signifigantly easier to read as your mental model of the information gets better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Phil King said:

Yeah I usually am reading 3-5 books at a time. In terms of time per day, it fluxuates a lot. Ill have some weeks where I dont read at all, but this past week Ive been reading like 4+ hours a day. Ive also been working on speed reading

I see, that is something I'll try experiment with more of as well. 

15 hours ago, Phil King said:

A good way Ive found to get out of reading slumps is to read some really short books under like 100 pages just to get momentum. I also like to read books revolving around the same topic so it helps stick in my mind better. I recently read 4 books on developmental/evolutionary psychology and the books get signifigantly easier to read as your mental model of the information gets better.

Ooh that's actually a very good idea, and I've actually got some books in mind that I intend to read and will use to build up some momentum. Thank you for the insights!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This movie was pretty crazy. Its about social class and capitalism 8.5+/10. This movie won oscar for best picture in 2019

^^^I also watched this one. Had some profound moments but ending spoiled it. 7ish/10. This movie won the oscar for best picture in 1957. I want to watch the best films and art ever made so I have grist for the inspiration mill when I embark on my career. I have a list of over 2000 books that I eventually want to read as well. Ive thought of setting aside one whole day every week and doing nothing but watch movies, not sure how practical it will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ Very influential early film that introduced new editing techniques in 1920's

^^ Also watched this. Limited location movie. 8/10. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this guys youtube channel.

Im back in New York for the weekend for a job. Should make solid money. I also have the rough draft for my final essay due on sunday. Im probably gonna have to ask for an extension cause im too busy this weekend. 

Finished Expert Secrets and read more of Dan Kennedy. I feel like I say every book I read is a 8+/10, but its true. After I read these, every piece of content that I consumed from alex hormozi, owen cook, hamza, and other youtube entrepreneurs got recontextualized and i could see the tactics and semi manipulative sales methods that they use in literally every video. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now