LRyan

My Work On Myself Is Under Direct Threat. My Psychologist Hates Spirituality

52 posts in this topic

I have sent the text asking for my future appointments to be cancelled.

I must have been projecting my own faulty beliefs on the situation.  She did not ask me for a reason.  She said that I have been formally discharged from his service and my file has been closed.  I believe that was the "last word" spoken.  She said " WE wish you well".  

End of story, beginning of a NEW one.

Audios

Examine what you believe to be impossible, and then change your beliefs.

On 3/28/2017 at 3:07 AM, LRyan said:

Why is the field of Psychology so threatened by spirituality???

Western psychology’s aim is to fortify the individual’s ego so that he may become less neurotic, slightly happier and ultimately function ‘better’ in society. You will be more normal, but to be normal is nothing. To be normal is not even worth talking about. To be normal means you are as you should be ordinarily. You will be a more adjusted person in the society also. Of course, you will be a little better husband, a little better mother, a little better friend, but only a little.

Man can be physically ill; then the physician, the doctor is needed. Man can be psychologically ill; then a little help can be given by Psychologist. But when man is existentially ill, neither a physician nor a psychiatrist can be of any help. And the illness is existential. Man suffers from a spiritual illness. 

You may be physically healthy, you may be psychologically healthy, but you may not be existentially healthy at all. On the contrary, when you are psychologically and physically healthy, for the first time you become aware of the existential anxiety, of the anguish inside. Before it you were so occupied with the body and the mind and the illnesses that you couldn’t afford to look at the inward being. When everything is set right: body functions well, mind is not in any trouble, suddenly you become aware of the greatest anxiety in the world — the existential, the spiritual. Suddenly you start asking, ‘What is the meaning of it all? Why am I here, for what?’ This never occurs to an ill man because he is too occupied with the illness. First he has to look after the body, and then he will think. Then he has to look after the mind, and then he will think. Body and mind, if healthy, will allow you for the first time to be really in trouble. And that trouble will be spiritual.

The whole Western psychology up to now has not come to the point of non-ego. It is still thinking in terms of the ego: how to make the ego more strongly rooted, centered; how to make the ego more healthy, normal, adjusted. 

Just my opinion - everyone with intense stress is stuck at a specific point where they use a defensive reason not to talk about "it". Some people say "You don't know what I've been through!" Or "I just don't want to talk about it right now".

So it builds up over time in your head and becomes this mountain.

But once you do finally talk about it, afterwards, it starts to occur to you that the problem was actually that you were holding on to it, protecting it.

I suggest you talk about it here. It might be upsetting, but tomorrow and the next day, go back and read it. 

You will get a third person view in a sense when a day or two passes and you read what you wrote.

This will begin a sense of distance from it, as well as more clarity from an 'outside' view.

Edited by Nahm

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Prabhaker

Western psychology’s aim is to fortify the individual’s ego so that he may become less neurotic, slightly happier and ultimately function ‘better’ in society. You will be more normal, but to be normal is nothing. To be normal is not even worth talking about. To be normal means you are as you should be ordinarily. You will be a more adjusted person in the society also. Of course, you will be a little better husband, a little better mother, a little better friend, but only a little.

Man can be physically ill; then the physician, the doctor is needed. Man can be psychologically ill; then a little help can be given by Psychologist. But when man is existentially ill, neither a physician nor a psychiatrist can be of any help. And the illness is existential. Man suffers from a spiritual illness. 

I agree 100 %.  I truly believe that a lot of dis-ease is spiritual.  In my own personal situation, I have the experience that tells me that once I started reading and diving into my spirituality, I felt this sense of relief and freedom, a sense that this is the meaning of why we are here in the physical body, to experience a human life.  I do see where Psychology seems to want to repair the ego and that is why it seems not to work because isn't the ego fragile?  Is it not easily offended and has to defend itself all of the time?  So you could spend years with a Psychologist building up the ego to only have it crash and cause extreme suffering once again.?  Maybe...  

17 minutes ago, LRyan said:

So you could spend years with a Psychologist building up the ego to only have it crash and cause extreme suffering once again.?  Maybe...  

A person who lives with ego is bound to suffer again as ego starts crashing when the old age and death comes, then no psychologist can help. Only the person who meditates regularly can escape the final misery.

3 hours ago, Nahm said:

Just my opinion - everyone with intense stress is stuck at a specific point where they use a defensive reason not to talk about "it". Some people say "You don't know what I've been through!" Or "I just don't want to talk about it right now".

So it builds up over time in your head and becomes this mountain.

But once you do finally talk about it, afterwards, it starts to occur to you that the problem was actually that you were holding on to it, protecting it.

I suggest you talk about it here. It might be upsetting, but tomorrow and the next day, go back and read it. 

You will get a third person view in a sense when a day or two passes and you read what you wrote.

This will begin a sense of distance from it, as well as more clarity from an 'outside' view.

Yes, I believe carrying all that went "wrong" in your life without understanding that it was all part of a story of a false person causes extreme stress.  I have been to so many counsellors and therapists over the years and no amount of talk therapy has ever helped me not even one little bit.  It might make you feel better for a few hours or a day but it doesn't last.  There is a definite feeling of dragging around this heavy burden throughout your life.  I have had a particularly hard life from a child through all of my adult years.  I know it was the beliefs i had about myself that made me make the wrong decisions and not listening to my intuition at pivotal points in my life that shaped  it into a series of periods or intense suffering.  My parents were not equipped to be parents and so the issues arose from there and got momentum and never stopped until recent years where I discovered spirituality.  That has been the biggest life changing force in me.  

I will try to drop the heavy baggage that I have carried with me through out the years because it serves no purpose at all and isn't even real.  Its a story of what might have happened but is no longer.

My goal or purpose is peace,  that's it.

Thanks so much for your views on this.

@LRyan i hope it helped.   one more suggestion.  tomorrow and the next day read what u just wrote here.  u might see that u are still talking about it. still sharing and reliving those memories which give u troubles. and also u have clarity on the big picture.  so u r half way to where u want to be! which is awesome! 

imo aim to truly let it go. which means literally forgetting and never mentioning and reliving.  i feel you are doing great and things will only get better and better

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

4 hours ago, Nahm said:

i hope it helped.   one more suggestion.  tomorrow and the next day read what u just wrote here.  u might see that u are still talking about it. still sharing and reliving those memories which give u troubles. and also u have clarity on the big picture.  so u r half way to where u want to be! which is awesome! 

imo aim to truly let it go. which means literally forgetting and never mentioning and reliving.  i feel you are doing great and things will only get better and better

It seemed as though it was completely let go before I started with that Psychologist. Because of the therapy, I was forced to bring it all up again.  Not blaming him but that was the reality.  That is my issue with therapy, they want to dig and dig and I don't want or need that... before that it wasn't something I spoke about or re-visited in my own mind...

I'm wondering if it is normal to feel a bit of un-ease with the decision to let that therapist go.  It's not a regret, is more like a feeling of did I really do this on my own because I am not used to listening to my intuition and maybe this is just my baby step towards freedom.  I do notice my thoughts keep wanting to go back to his txt where I was "dismissed" from him so there is some remaining emotion of ...maybe it's a rejection or maybe to me it feels like a rejection.  Something my mind wants to dwell on but I am catching my thoughts on it every time and then I realize in my heart this is what I wanted.  Maybe it is a thought of dis-pleasing someone.....I'm not sure but it was a strong reaction right afterwards and it is lingering a bit :(

Now the work of finding a new Psychologist begins!  Deep breath!!

Edited by LRyan

1 hour ago, LRyan said:

will try to drop the heavy baggage that I have carried with me through out the years because it serves no purpose at all and isn't even real.  Its a story of what might have happened but is no longer.

@LRyan "Today is the first day of the rest of your life". That's a great saying! And so true.

And like a ship on the ocean, a small correction in course today can greatly change your point of destination. Always check your heading!

7 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

@LRyan "Today is the first day of the rest of your life". That's a great saying! And so true.

And like a ship on the ocean, a small correction in course today can greatly change your point of destination. Always check your heading!

Thank you so much for the inspiration!  I love that saying and I especially appreciate the reference to the ship on the ocean.  It is so helpful to read the message!

I have written this out on my inspiration cards and I will keep this one close to me all day!  

Love to you :)  

That psychologist sounds incredibly insecure and doesn't seem to treating his patients as human beings. He could possibly do more damage than good. I'd get out of there asap and find a psychologist who respects their patients and who you resonate with.

Doctor-patient relationship has a huge effect on the outcome of treatment.