ParanoidAndroid

How Long Does A Habit Take To Form? When Should I Install A New One?

8 posts in this topic

How long should I allow for a new habit to form? I recently installed a daily meditation habit. How long should I wait before starting a new one? I'm aware that going too fast and trying to install 5 new habits at once is probably not the best strategy. I think Leo talked about this in the video about backsliding but I don't think he mentioned particular time frames so some knowledge gained from experience form people on here would be useful. Thanks :) 

2/3 months.

You can install multiple habits at once, it depends on the resistance you face for each.

If you try to install one that already brings a lot of resistance, taking another is risky.

Example: Next month I plan to meditate 2 hours per day, I know it will take all my focus to do that, so I'm not gonna install any other habit/nor dating/nor pushing myself too much in other area (except when I have no choice).

I'll try to do the exercice to be funny (because I really need it :P ), and if I see that I start to slack off my meditation schedule, I'll stop immediatly.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

For me 3 months works the best to really give it the full attention to form. Some people say 30 days but that has not worked for me. What helps me a lot to keep on going with only one habit for three months is putting it into perspective.

Don't rush it! Remember dedicate 3 months to put the first good foundational habit into place that will server you for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!

Habits work!! It used to be a struggle brush my teeth for 3 minutes each time, but now i feel weird if I stop brushing before 180 seconds. I know it sounds easy and weird but 3 minutes is longer than u think lol 

This is hard and differs from person to person (I think). It takes me at least two months.

23 hours ago, I_Like_Thing said:

I think it depends on the person, but starting a habit always seems to be easier than breaking one.

Yeah I think that's true! 

Depends on the habit, but 90 days is a good solid number if it's a serious habit like meditation, gym, etc.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I would continue to do it until it...became a habit.  You could link each activity together and do them in sequence until said activities become habits.   I linked meditation with exercise with eating healthier all at once and they have become a habitual routine.