David1

Transhumanism

5 posts in this topic

Transhumanism (abbreviated as H+ or h+) is an international and intellectual movement that aims to transform the human condition by developing and creating widely available sophisticated technologies to greatly enhance human intellectual, physical, and psychological capacities

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism

The ultimate self developement trough technology. Think enhancing your brain with nanobots or bio engineering. Once they get a handel on enhancing cognitve abilities in a substantial way trough technology, bio/genetic engineering or even artificial intelligence, this will create a snowball effect where enhanced humans will be abel to create even better, smarter technology...leading to a technological singularity

According to the pope of transhumanism, Ray Kurzweil, humanity can reach such a technological singularity by 2045.

Any thoughts on this? Would you be willing to enhance your cognitive abilities with technology?

I think those seriously interested in transhumanism should actually make the effort to contribute to its development. Too often I see Transhumanists espousing their views as if it were a religion instead of anticipating its effects and making tangible efforts to see it through in a way that will benefit mankind.

Far too many people do the low-cost thing and just hop aboard the hype-train because it's easy. I am very interested in the subject and am training to be a mathematician/ researcher to play my part in seeing that our transition to this stage goes well.

I think Kurzweil may be too optimistic with the timeline, but you never know. 

One thing I have been wondering is the compatibility between transhumanism and enlightenment. Transhumanist technologies perpetuate the illusion of self and largely serve the ego, which enlightenment seeks to destroy. I wonder how the two may be compatible. Then again, I currently have a poor understanding of both matters.

Ray Kurzweil was hired to be a chief engineer at Google. There is big capital behind this idea...

@David1

On 2/12/2016 at 3:44 PM, David1 said:

Would you be willing to enhance your cognitive abilities with technology?

Yes.

On 2/12/2016 at 4:01 PM, David1 said:

Ray Kurzweil was hired to be a chief engineer at Google. There is big capital behind this idea...

Yes.