Saba

A Quote By Viktor Frankl To Think About... Self-actualization Not An End In Itself?

4 posts in this topic

“Self-actualization is not man's ultimate destination.  It is not even his primary intention.  Self-actualization, if made an end in itself, contradicts the self-transcendent quality of human existence.  Like happiness, self-actualization is an effect, the effect of meaning fulfillment.  Only to the extent that man fulfills a meaning out there in the world does he fulfill himself.  If he sets out to actualize himself rather than fulfill a meaning, self-actualization immediately loses its justification.”

"As the boomerang comes back to the hunter who has thrown it only if it has missed its target, man, too, returns to himself and is intent upon self-actualization only if he has missed his mission."

- Viktor Frankl, Will to Meaning 

You'd have to very clearly define what is meant by "self-actualization" and "meaning" in this context.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura I was looking forward to your input!:) It really shocked me! I was half-asleep in my Positive Psychology lecture when this quote popped up, and I thought: oh no... self-actualization gives my life meaning! What now? Have I *missed* my real mission, so I'm just using self-actualization as a band-aid or distraction? So many thoughts. 

But yes, I think self-actualization is making the most of oneself, unraveling every latent talent, and squeezing the juice out of one's life. Which is pretty packed with meaning, in my opinion. 

And @John Flores, I couldn't agree more! We never arrive, there is no destination, which is why it is so frustrating to watch so many people chase things! There is nothing to catch, the road never ends. :) 

On 25. März 2017 at 3:21 AM, Saba said:

I think self-actualization is making the most of oneself, unraveling every latent talent, and squeezing the juice out of one's life. Which is pretty packed with meaning, in my opinion. 

I would say this is exactly what Frankl means with self-actualization. 

When I hear people saying (on youtube for example) that their goal is to be their best self, then this appears empty to me. I would suggest to anyone expressing this goal, to examine, where the motivation for this truly comes from. We live in times where the religion of the western world is neo-liberal 'capitalism' with its dogma of optimization and maximization. This way of thinking is a paradigm and I would suggest that people apply this paradigm to self-optimize and maximize their performance in whatever area in life –it could even be spiritual growth. If the assumption is correct, then this ambition is extrinsic (it came from outside, was imposed), and it is hollow, as it is the end in itself.

No true purpose can be derived from it. 

ps: sorry;)