Whywolf

Is Fur Murder?

20 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a question,
I have a fur collection, and don't really think much about where the animals came from or anything like that.
But I'm curious...
My stance is, they have already passed, so giving them a "home" with me, where they're appreciated is a noble thing to do.  I use the furs as backgrounds for art projects as well.

What are your opinions on the fur trade, and how society uses animals?

Reminder to self:
"Stay warm", be humble, listen to your quietest intuition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhGI0X6jhSQ

Since wolves eat goats, sheep, rabbits, and the occasional snake, the fur from those creatures must certainly be okay to drape the Wolf Lair in.

Like with your example, I'm trying to think of a way to justify having these furs.  Or nullify the karma.  Such as, what if I were to save the life of an animal for every fur that I have?  Or what if I only purchased ones that died of natural causes, or from overpopulation?  Like for instance, nutrias don't belong in Florida, and they are harmful to the ecosystem, therefore having one of these furs is not harmful?  I use a lot of "vulture culture" sorts of materials for my art.

(Wolf pelts are pricey btw, 400 at the low end of the spectrum, up to 1200 for a quality pelt - so I don't own one of those.  The pelts I have are from more common wildlife - Cruella de Vil's design btw, total zen devil material.)

I'll have to think about this, I wanted to open up a shop on etsy where I would sell painted and crystal skulls.  

So... what if I were to be mindful of where I purchase them?  If the animal had died of natural causes, lived a full life - then my art could be a celebration of that life, a continuity in a way, rather than a trophy representing the grizzly story of something cut short?

From a mindful source:
It lived fully.
It died naturally.
It's legacy continues as an artistic expression of life and death, and continuity after passing.

From a cruel source:
It lived.
It's life was cut short.
It's legacy continues as an artistic expression of the cruelty of man.

Reminder to self:

Etsy's a good idea. If you got the furs from a mindful source that would be a great selling point on Etsy (and you might want to phrase that some way in the listing itself or else people who may have been interested might not click on your ad if they assume you killed thing yourself).

Where would you get the crystal skulls from? Would you just get chunks of crystal and carve them? What might be cool is to add uncut or raw gems in some way to some of your creations. I just thought of that because the image of the crystal skull with emeralds incorporated onto it came to mind (I have some uncut emeralds from Columbia, and they've actually found real Incan crystal skulls near where emerald deposits are found so they kind of go together imo). You'll want to keep the selling price reasonable (for Etsy), but the low quality gems aren't that expensive and you get the benefit of that being a selling point in any "marketing" you do. If this is of interest of you, I could take a picture of my gems so you can get an idea of what I am talking about, or even send you some to play around with (I'm not doing anything with them anyway).

@I_Like_Thing Tyler Thrasher sort of started this trend and he is my inspiration.  You can find a lot of his stuff by doing a google image search, and his art is so so beautiful.

I'm not sure if the furs that I have right now are from an ethical source, nor the skulls that I bought.  Well, actually come to think of it I purchase them all from the same etsy shop and some have holes in the skulls, so I am assuming that it probably isn't an ethical source.

I was thinking of using borax and some food colouring on some of them, maybe way down the road I'd try to mix chemicals and make some more elaborate skulls - as borax isn't as elegant looking as some other crystals are.  Maybe when my head is a little clearer, some of the chemicals are poisonous.
"Hey kids, here's a game!  Let's play melt yer face off."

This chick sells some of the smaller skulls for around $80 on up.  There's an etsy shop that sells 50 bat skulls for around 100 bucks, including shipping fees.  If I decorated them, I could sell them for 40-50 each.  I am not sure if it is an ethical source.  Here's the shop.

Uncut gems... that would look amazing.  Could put them in the eye sockets of a larger skull, and add dried honey bee comb around the extra empty space behind the gems, and some fake dried moss along the bottom of the socket.  Have it kind of overflowing out of the socket, with tiny dried yellow flowers.

Interesting!  Did they do something to the skulls as part of a burial ceremony or did the emeralds grow on them naturally?  How much do you want for em?

Reminder to self:

9 hours ago, Whywolf said:

My stance is, they have already passed, so giving them a "home" with me, where they're appreciated is a noble thing to do.

The problem is that there is a lot of suffering associated with the fur industry's actions.  Most furs don't come from animals which have died in a natural way.

Ask yourself if you would feel the same way about a loved pet's fur, or a human being's scalp or skin.  If your answer differs, then there is something to contemplate on.

@jse It would feel creepy to have a pets fur or anything that belonged to a person.

My uncle was a hunter, had a lot of furs and taxidermy - spent some summers at the family cabin growing up - might be why I'm desensitized to it.  But the spiritual path tends to favor a more peaceful approach to nature.

Would still like to have a nice fur collection, though.
It'll be more of a pain in the ass to find quality pelts from ethical sources, but I'll probably end up doing that.  I don't know much about the fur industry, I'm afraid to look - it'll probably be like watching an educational video on how hotdogs are made.

Reminder to self:

@Whywolf , as we grow and become more aware of our impact on other beings' happiness, we tend to contemplate more and more on these painful matters.  Kudos to you from becoming aware of these (and other) issues - it shows real growth. -_-

Edited by jse

Boils down to iron.

Free radicals.

cancer.

maybe the animals are parallels now

@Whywolf why not faux fur

Let life be a flood, you be the ocean. Let life be a storm, you be a leaf, Let life be an arrow, you be smoke. ~ Me

@Whywolf Hmmm, was reluctant to reply to your posting but I have to ask you, how this post actually pertains to self awareness? Are you looking for insight into what exactly? Whether to open an etsy shop selling dead animals?

5 hours ago, Whywolf said:

Would still like to have a nice fur collection, though.

With your statement/quote, by purchasing, you will may continue the inhuman. illegal capture and slaughter of wildlife, supply and demand, supporting illegal fur farming, and not be aware of it. First hand, my brother does it, tried to report him, doesn't talk to me, he continues killing for profit. He has no compassion or connection to wildlife, sees only $$. You may wanna just let this one go...

@TJM1959 I have a fur collection, it isn't something that a "spiritual" person would normally have.  I don't see a problem with it, but I'm working on being a more compassionate person.  I wouldn't be selling the furs, I use them as backgrounds to sell the skulls that I paint.  These are some examples the ones that I would like to sell, but I want my business to be ethical - so these won't be sold.  Have some others but have not taken pictures of them yet.

20170221_220514 - Edited.jpg20170221_215911 - Edited.jpg14691157_164678893988631_6145480884416715861_o.jpg

If I purchase them from an ethical source, then there shouldn't be a problem.  Something that has died naturally hasn't suffered at the hands of man.  A lot of people in vulture culture groups - on facebook, tumblr and etsy - tend to find ones that have passed on by their own means.

Furs will take more work to find from ethical sources.

This sort of thing is a touchy subject for a lot of people, and so I am curious about what people's opinions are, not just pertaining to my collection, but in general.
It is also a bit of a social experiment.  Something that is normally distasteful to the majority; people are more likely to feel justified and accurate in trying to sway another person's opinion.  A collection like mine - well, that is most certainly wrong!

I'm putting myself in an oppositional position, to understand how people influence one another.

Reminder to self:

@Whywolf Those are some cool designs. A lot of neat stuff can be done with crystals, there is a lot of room for imagination. Imo low quality emeralds would add a more earthly feel than high quality. They are more raw looking, milky green with inclusions etc., whereas the more expensive gems look too fancy, polished etc. I'll take a few pics later and you can see what I mean. Do you know how to sculpt with different materials like marble, rock or quartz?

@the fur is murder folks

From the Buddhist perspective, it's all about the intention. If you happen upon a dead animal in the woods, and then used the fur to make yourself a blanket, I can't imagine even the most "hardcore" live-in-a-cave Buddhist having an issue with it. Most Buddhists are vegetarians, but not for the reasons you might think--the reason(s) they do eat meat go back to the scenario I mentioned above. It's all about the intention, and even the Buddha ate meat when it was offered to him. Accepting reality is to accept that sometimes animals eat eachother. Is the lion "bad" for killing a zebra? The bear for grabbing a leaping salmon out of the river? Intention.

@Whywolf not my flavor of decor but I will certainly admit they look pretty fuckin cool. Nice paint work and photography.  In all seriousness, market wise, I bet if you painted some sports team themed and sold them on eBay, sports / skull on my wall dudes would come outta the woodwork and buy em up.  

@Whywolf

Here is a link to those pictures. These are the raw cut emeralds (I couldn't find the uncut ones but they look the same, and I'm now thinking the cut gems might look better especially if you mix and match symmetries i.e. a square cut with an oval or something). If you want to play with some ideas give me your address (or a friend, neighbor or relative 's if that would be more appropriate) and I'll send you some. I don't know how sensitive your privacy is to you, but websites aren't necessarily private even with PMs, so if you'd rather you can also email me at Mike(put the first letter of my last name here without parenthesis).SantaRosa@Gmail.com

Oh, I don't know what these are worth, but probably not much, but even so when I give a gift I don't expect or want anything in return and there is no hidden motive.

https://plus.google.com/collection/oom_FE

Let's say you inherit a leather armchair, sofa or leather jacket. I would not consider that too bad. However buying new products with leather and particularly fur, that`s problematic from my perspective.

DISCLAIMER: These videos contain cruel scenes (video 1 and 3 in particular). 

#1 Fur

#2 Regular practices and occurrences slaughter houses.

The first is German. The problem: It happens very often that cattle is not immediately dead, when it attempted to kill them (estimate: 7%). If the staff gets impatient, the cow may be slaughtered alive. Many pigs are not 100% unconscious when their bristles are boiled off with hot steam (estimated 1% of pigs).