Reciprocality

Technology and culture in four hundred years from now

7 posts in this topic

Hi, is it just me who get saddened thinking about how extremely more advanced technology and cultural values will be in four hundred years, if something seriously bad don't happen in the meantime, and we wont never get to experience it for ourselves?

If it were possible to sleep in some fancy tank for hundreds of years it would certainly be tempting.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

I've had that thought. But do you ever get sad that you'll miss the experience of the Sun devouring the Earth 5 billion years from now? FOMO isn't always a negative :P

4 minutes ago, Reciprocality said:

If it were possible to sleep in some fancy tank for hundreds of years it would certainly be tempting.

It would be interesting, but then you would get used to the new world very fast and it would all seem like normal to you.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

7 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

I've had that thought. But do you ever get sad that you'll miss the experience of the Sun devouring the Earth 5 billion years from now? FOMO isn't always a negative :P

Hi @Carl-Richard, Fomo (fear of missing out) is an idea that though it bares similarities to my situation probably don't fit it as a description any better than it does an alcoholics path back to sobriety or an occupied Ukrainian civilian´s longing for freedom, it certainly is not typically used in these situations.

Ultimately we all want to know more than we already know, it would be absurd to reduce it all to a fear which were implied in your comment without further context, but not necessarily what you meant.

7 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

It would be interesting, but then you would get used to the new world very fast and it would all seem like normal to you.

It is not out of boredom of our current age that I said I wanted to travel to the future, and most of the stuff that is going on already doesn't seem too "normal". In addition the world will go through both globalistic and new-tribalistic tendencies within that timeframe, the former out of governmental necessity and the latter out of the realisation that though maximal freedom suits some it provides most of us with unsatisfiable needs and that today people build character out of idealising one another`s behaviour as though their personality were a painting while actual character is built when faced with people we don't naturally work well with out of scarcity, like in the million years prior to our modern age nobody seems to actually look beyond.

Edited by Reciprocality

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

7 hours ago, Reciprocality said:

I have great news! That exists. Humans call it "death".

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 hours ago, Reciprocality said:

Hi @Carl-Richard, Fomo (fear of missing out) is an idea that though it bares similarities to my situation probably don't fit it as a description any better than it does an alcoholics path back to sobriety or an occupied Ukrainian civilian´s longing for freedom, it certainly is not typically used in these situations.

Ultimately we all want to know more than we already know, it would be absurd to reduce it all to a fear which were implied in your comment without further context, but not necessarily what you meant.

It is not out of boredom of our current age that I said I wanted to travel to the future, and most of the stuff that is going on already doesn't seem too "normal". In addition the world will go through both globalistic and new-tribalistic tendencies within that timeframe, the former out of governmental necessity and the latter out of the realisation that though maximal freedom suits some it provides most of us with unsatisfiable needs and that today people build character out of idealising one another`s behaviour as though their personality were a painting while actual character is built when faced with people we don't naturally work well with out of scarcity, like in the million years prior to our modern age nobody seems to actually look beyond.

I literally cannot understand what you're saying.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard I could begin from the conclusion, I could begin from that which without justification is mere narrative, this is how dialogues pan out in everyday situations, but I don't want a conversation to end up in the conclusions I could reach on my own, this would be a waste of precious time, therefore I provide always a reasoning in my responses such that I could easily know if you actually understand what I say and this process of reasoning is what is seemingly hard to convey.

I observe that people do not actually care about contradictions in their statements, and have from these low standards developed the disability of noticing them, in your instance it seems that when I say that fomo has a cultural meaning you accept this premise but refuse to acknowledge that this meaning is inconsistent with my situation of wishing to move forwards in time. 

I am able to be flexible with definitions, this is almost always a necessity in dialogue, but you can not both accept that fomo signifies situations where people feel anxious of not partaking in something and then move beyond this meaning by applying the idea of FOMO to situations where the meaning is absent. 

1. "Ultimately we all want to know more than we already know, it would be absurd to reduce it all to a fear" 2. I wanted to know more than I know already in my desire to move forwards in time.   Therefore it does not follow that I am in fear of missing out, though it certainly would be possible, for your statement to be meaningful there would be a need for additional justification for the plausibility of my situation being predicable by "fomo" or I would need to intuit something about your statement that is in contradiction to my situation.

@Leo Gura

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I have great news! That exists. Humans call it "death".

No the soul is a childish notion. Or it certainly is childish to affirm its existence, but not therefore to speculate about its possibility.