integral

Sister is Vegan and Tested Very Low For Iron

82 posts in this topic

@Michael569 this thread has started out as a practical advise request and has now turned into a total shitshow. 

Most of the people who are "against" veganism here only comment because they want to inflame and create debates and disagreements on the forum.

Schizophonia has openly admitted a few times that the only reason he engages in the discussion here is because he enjoys trolling.

I do apologize for the strong language  but I am honestly not sure why this thread still hasn't been closed for comments as there is nothing good coming out of it. 

Is that because it was created by a moderator?

Edited by Something Funny

1 hour ago, Something Funny said:

Most of the people who are "against" veganism here only comment because they want to inflame and create debates and disagreements on the forum.

This is nothing new. These sorts of debates have been on the forum ever since it was started in 2016. One way or another, Vegans and non-vegans have always disagreed with each other, that's not a reason enough to close a thread. I don't have enough evidence yet to tell that it was done to "inflame the debate". 

We try to be inclusive to all perspectives however offensive, hateful and hyper dogmatic comments are moderated where possible. 

Schizophonia has openly admitted a few times that the only reason he engages in the discussion here is because he enjoys trolling.

Those sorts of comments need to be reported to us the next time you see them. I know he has done that a few times in the past but his recent comments seem alright 

I do apologize for the strong language  but I am honestly not sure why this thread still hasn't been closed for comments as there is nothing good coming out of it. 

I do agree that the thread has been derailed and OP probably has already got the answers he was looking for but if we were to close each topic that gets derailed, half of the posts would be locked on the forum by now. 

No, the topic would have been treated the same, were it created by any user. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

44 minutes ago, Michael569 said:
2 hours ago, Something Funny said:

No, the topic would have been treated the same, were it created by any user. 

Sorry, this was a dumb thing to say

Sorry, this was a dumb thing to say

We always have what we want. I regularly play at being childish and argumentative, and I have a lot of fun.
But I sometimes get hostile reactions and that's normal, that's the rule of the game. Your reaction isn't stupid, you're just sending me back a fragment of the energy I send myself, it's a mechanical process. :)

Incidentally, even if I made the mistake of making a remark and breaking my word, I had in fact regretted having hijacked this topic and I had explained in a post, a few days ago, that I no longer wanted answer on this topic precisely because of the hijacking.

I have my own topics where I can work at my pleasure,  and it will be exclusively like that in the future, do not interact with me on some of my topics if it annoys you.
But maybe you will, because it's fun to get annoyed, it's love, lol.

Edited by Schizophonia

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

@Something Funny you're alright ;)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@integral  Updates on the sis? Has changed her diet or improved her condition?

Is she similarly ideological as some Vegas in this forum?

35 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@integral  Updates on the sis? Has changed her diet or improved her condition?

Is she similarly ideological as some Vegas in this forum?

She is now experimenting with a iron supplement. No real change so far, unfortunately the iron supplement she took had b-vitamins in it and it caused increased day energy with sleeping problems. So she is looking for a different source with out the b-vitamins.

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@integral just get her ferrous bis-glycinate, it has by far the best absorption, no constipation issues, and the cost compared to ferrous sulphate isn't substantial. Start at 50mg and see how she responds. 

And it is much harder to over supplement on such a low dose. Of course, keep monitoring. She should be having blood checks once a month, ideally 

Her diet is also important - investing in addition of some supreme vegan iron sources like molasses, black olives, dried morel mushrooms, kelp, red lentils, wakame and artichokes might help. Alsom plenty of vitamin C rich foods alongside of it. Squeeze in a few drops of lime  on the top of each meal and have her eat lots of fruits and berries. 

Good luck ! 

Edited by Michael569

Eat meat and drink blood Boyz..it's good for you ?

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

@Michael569 Thank you, I re-laid the message. 

3 hours ago, Someone here said:

Eat meat and drink blood Boyz..it's good for you ?

lol she will never drink blood.

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

Another blood test result

test.png

nothing out of ordinary there, TSH is better towards 1 than towards 2 but most doctors wouldn't care as long as it is not 10. Overall her thyroid seems to be doing alright. 

her vitamin D levels are beautiful tho :x if she is supplementing she can probably go to a low maintenance dose now. 

curious to see a refresher on her iron panel 

Edited by Michael569

Yeah a supplement would sort her out. 

When I was vegan I supplemented and had dark leafy greens with every meal. 

@Michael569 She went to the hospital recently from severe stomach pain, they couldn't find the reason. She stopped taking the iron and the pain went away, 5 days later she tried the iron supplement again and the stomach pain came back. Is there a different form thats better tolerated? She was taking ferrous bis-glycinate.

Edited by integral

3 hours ago, integral said:

@Michael569 She went to the hospital recently from severe stomach pain, they couldn't find the reason. She stopped taking the iron and the pain went away, 5 days later she tried the iron supplement again and the stomach pain came back. Is there a different form thats better tolerated? She was taking ferrous bis-glycinate.

Taking it after a meal might help.

@integral 

It is not unusual to experience these from iron supplements. To various degrees of severity, she might be more sensitive to it, that's definitely possible. Less common with bisglycinate but still possible. As mentioned above she can try with food, that would actually be preferable.

Alternatively there are liquid iron supplements (also best taken postprandial). Chat with the doc and see what they recommend.

How high is her dosage? 

Have her levels moved at all since she started on it?

Edited by Michael569

@integral Yeah Iron is known to cause GI upset and constipation. She can take Iron IM injection but it may leave some brown discoloration on the site of injection.

Posted (edited)

On 7/12/2023 at 2:10 AM, Michael569 said:

@integral 

It is not unusual to experience these from iron supplements. To various degrees of severity, she might be more sensitive to it, that's definitely possible. Less common with bisglycinate but still possible. As mentioned above she can try with food, that would actually be preferable.

Alternatively there are liquid iron supplements (also best taken postprandial). Chat with the doc and see what they recommend.

How high is her dosage? 

Have her levels moved at all since she started on it?

She switched to a liquid iron supplement (ferric ammonium citrate) and it does no cause stomach pain. 

Ingredients:

Folate (folic acid) 440 µg

Vitamin B12 (cyancobalamin) 110 µg

Iron (ferric ammonium citrate) 20 mg

---

She's been taking it for a few months now and was retested and her iron is slowly going back up. 

Was wondering if you guys have any recommendations for some good liquid iron supplements.

Thanks! 

Edited by integral

Posted (edited)

@integral Make her eat some liver for god sake xD

11 hours ago, integral said:

Iron (ferric ammonium citrate) 20 mg

That's way too low. Only 10-15 % of Iron in iron supplements gets absorbed. But she can normalize over a long period if her anemia is not that bad. But she also needs to fill her Iron stores after normalizing her blood Iron, so this may take a long time at this rate.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

15 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

@integral Make her eat some liver for god sake xD

🤣If it was up to me she would be drinking 2 cups of fresh blood in the morning :D 

15 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

That's way too low. Only 10-15 % of Iron in iron supplements gets absorbed. But she can normalize over a long period if her anemia is not that bad. But she also needs to fill her Iron stores after normalizing her blood Iron, so this may take a long time at this rate.

Mmm got to find a better liquid one that doesnt cause digestive pain.