FourCrossedWands

Barefoot shoes - good, or overhyped?

32 posts in this topic

I have ordered my first pair of barefoot shoes. They are supposed to strengthen feet and leg muscles that have been weakened by regular shoes.

What do you think about barefoot shoes? Are their benefits legit, or is it mostly scam?

@FourCrossedWands

I wear them regularly and really enjoy how they feel. I’ll wear normal shoes when I need to, but I find going back to normal shoes for too long starts giving me random aches and pains.

The theory is that modern shoes basically ruin your gait possibly the foot’s natural arch. Orthotics might offer temporary relief in some cases, but may also compound the problem by supplementing for an arch in the foot.

I’d say experiment and see how they feel to you. 

If you are going to try them, it is recommended that you go slow. Your feet have adapted to walking a certain way, and going barefoot forces new adaptations. You don’t want to push that process too fast.

You mean like Vibrams?

They have been proven to be a scam. Vibrams was sued in court and lost.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a20783252/vibram-settles-class-action-lawsuit/

Wear whatever shoes you want, but don't bullshit yourself that they are doing anything good for your feet.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Some shoes are better than others.

I stand 8 hrs per day for a living.

Ive had foot , hip , knee and back problems here and there for a very long time after long shifts. Sometimes very acute pain.

Ive never tried the specific 5 finger shoes, but what I have done is transition over a period of 2 years and 12 pairs of shoes to the following  :

• A wide toebox shoe rather than crammed-in tight shoes  , like skater Vans shoes that I used to wear. They contribute to ingrown toenails and pressure points on your feet because of improper weight balance . Therefore posible PAIN.
  • No heel aka "0 drop " , so that you dont hit the floor heel first in your stride, which is brings many problems ) AKA pain.
  • Minimal to zero padding , so that you avoid crooked ankles because of worn out insoles contributing to a failure in your posture chain, causing possible pain in knees, hip and lower back.                                                           You also develop the muscles in your foot arch, which is suposed to amortiguate much of the impact of your stride. Calle It bro science but i didnt have my veins showing on my ankle before. They feel more healthy and look more shredded now.

Call It new-age-bro-science but feeling the ground with my feet more makes me feel more grounded in a sense. You can feel the irregularities and little stones and sticks in the ground with your foot. It feels like removing your Life long foot gloves.

After looking thought the whole market I just wear snorkel shoes. You can find stylish ones if you look hard enough. 

My last pair cost 8 €

Edit: and yeah, my pain is pretty much gone. The soles of my feet still hurt somewhat after long shifts, but that's just natural after 8 hours of 70kg pressure on the soles of your feet. 

Edit 2 : look up chi walking in YT. Its walking 101

Edited by mmKay

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

What is the point ?.

I walk a lot and my feet are strong despite i have random low cost shoes. 

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

All it takes is a random shard of glass or an upward-pointing rusty nail to answer the question. :P (although standard shoes are unlikely to protect from the later either) 

I definitely wouldn't use them when going out of your usual environment where you can actually injure your feet with sharp objects or run at a higher risk of ankle dislocations. 

I heard they are great for squatting tho so if you're a heavy lifter they may help. Overall they are unlikely to stand up to the hype 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@FourCrossedWands not all barefoot shoes are equal. I've had some Polish brand barefoot shoes for about half a year now, and they didn't feel that nice (still better than ordinary shoes in my opinion though).

Last week I have got a pair of wildling shoes, tanuki model, and I am just in love. Words can't describe how amazing it feels to walk in them, lol.

They are extremely light, tactile, and hug my upper foot in a snug, but very comfortable and cozy way.

@Leo Gura I am not sure about vibrams (as far as I am aware, they are mostly known for their five finger models), or what this court case was about, but it  does make sense that standard modrern shoes are not that healthy for your feet.

Most of them are elevated at the heel, which is bad for your posture. A toe box is cramped, and a thick sole definitely doesn't engage as many muscles as a barefoot one.

Also personally, I don't need any studies, I just know that my feet feel so amazing compared to everything I've worn in the past so I think I am never going back. Simple walking has turned into an exciting, pleasurable activity for me.

Edited by Something Funny

45 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

All it takes is a random shard of glass or an upward-pointing rusty nail to answer the question. :P (although standard shoes are unlikely to protect from the later either) 

I definitely wouldn't use them when going out of your usual environment where you can actually injure your feet with sharp objects or run at a higher risk of ankle dislocations. 

I heard they are great for squatting tho so if you're a heavy lifter they may help. Overall they are unlikely to stand up to the hype 

I wouldn't worry about any sharp objects (unless you are literally stepping on a nail at a straight angle). The rubber sole is still tough enough to handle glass more easily.

Also, bringing more awareness to each step is literally the point.

Regarding ankle dislocations, it's actually easier to twist your anke when you stand on a 2cm high platform than when you are barefoot. This would happen to me very regularly in normal shoes. 

Seriously, go and try it for yourself, you will probably notice that it's really hard to accidentally twist your ankle when you are standing with your bare feet on the ground.

57 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

The rubber sole is still tough enough to handle glass more easily.

not on the ones I've seen people wear - that stuff would be cut through by a blunt rock. I'm sure there are betetr quality ones with thicker sole which then kinda defeats the purpose of "bare foot shoe" 

Also, bringing more awareness to each step is literally the point.

you can do that perfectly well with regular shoes - this one is more about mental mindfulness than suddenly getting some magical effect from the shoes. You can walk in ski boots and be perfectly mindful. 

Regarding ankle dislocations, it's actually easier to twist your anke when you stand on a 2cm high platform than when you are barefoot.

You might be right, I would bet most types of those injuries come down to matching wrong shoes to the wrong weather or doing stupid shit. When it comes to accidental tripping, I think you would be fine as long as the shoes you wear are sturdy enough 

Seriously, go and try it for yourself, you will probably notice that it's really hard to accidentally twist your ankle when you are standing with your bare feet on the ground.

Most walking I do (outside of the gym and commute) is out in forests, on coasts and basically outdoor. I can't imagine doing 25km outdoor hike 3 days in a row in barefoot shoes. Nothing beats good quality sturdy shoes with reinforced sole and additional protection for your calves. 

If most of your walking is around carpets or flat roads of town centre, that's probably okay. 

And finally, there is a reason we wear socks because they help prevent deposit of sweat, bacteria and dead skin inside the shoes. Not sure how protected you are from that in barefoot shoes. 

You can tell I'm biased :D I've just done too many gimmicks over my lifetime most of which were nothing but a wasted money so I got to a point where I'm extremely sceptical about every new hype such as this. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

16 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

not on the ones I've seen people wear - that stuff would be cut through by a blunt rock. I'm sure there are betetr quality ones with thicker sole which then kinda defeats the purpose of "bare foot shoe" 

Mine have 4mm soles and they feel super thin and flexible, yet I am not afraid of them getting cut through by something like gravel or glass. And I live in a neighbourhood with a bunch of alcoholics and broken bottles lying around.

Edit: Have you ever had your outer rubber pierced by anything and that object getting to the foam part of a shoe?

I have never experienced this even in normal shoes. 

you can do that perfectly well with regular shoes - this one is more about mental mindfulness than suddenly getting some magical effect from the shoes. You can walk in ski boots and be perfectly mindful. 

I don't think that's true. Of course you can do that if you want to. But here you tend to do it naturally because it becomes fun and enjoyable. You want to feel each step. I have noticed myself wanting to experience different surfaces and trying to step on a patch of grass, or gravel, or to walk on a curb because it feels great.

You might be right, I would bet most types of those injuries come down to matching wrong shoes to the wrong weather or doing stupid shit. When it comes to accidental tripping, I think you would be fine as long as the shoes you wear are sturdy enough

Every time I twisted my ankles was before I would randomly put more lateral pressure on the outer side of a shoe walhen taking a step and that high sole would kind of twist under itself.

Most walking I do (outside of the gym and commute) is out in forests, on coasts and basically outdoor. I can't imagine doing 25km outdoor hike 3 days in a row in barefoot shoes. Nothing beats good quality sturdy shoes with reinforced sole and additional protection for your calves. 

There are barefoot shoes with high ankle support  and soles designed for hiking and trail running.

You can tell that I am pretty biased as well :D I just enjoy them so much, haha. But sure, everyone has their own tastes.

Wow, didn't expect so many replies...

I was deciding between these two, as I wanted merino wool shoes.

https://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/tracker-decon-low-fg2-mens

https://www.ballop-shop.de/en/barefoot/ballop-barefoot-corso-dark-grey

They are both meant for hiking and have some kind of rubber sole for protection.

I have ordered the cheaper ones from Ballop. They look like outdoor slippers, which I really like.

Corso-red-022_600x600.jpg

Edited by FourCrossedWands

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You mean like Vibrams?

They have been proven to be a scam. Vibrams was sued in court and lost.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a20783252/vibram-settles-class-action-lawsuit/

Wear whatever shoes you want, but don't bullshit yourself that they are doing anything good for your feet.

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Vibram made false claims because they got caught in the hype with the barefoot movement post-Born to Run when thousands of people read that book and got lost in the part about barefoot running but missed the part about how it can take 6 months to build up and run 2 miles barefoot.

As a runner whose invested more than a decade studying this stuff and knows some of the best athletic scientists regarding this stuff, there is no debate about the benefits of minimal footwear.

However, the matter is not black and white. The modern human foot is so incredibly weak and we’re on surfaces that human beings that ran barefoot just a few thousand years ago just weren’t on. There was no pavement and humans weren’t running up high mountain peaks (by and large). They also weren’t necessarily all trying to maximize how fast they ran a mile or 5000 meters on the track. And even then, some humans, like the Tarahumara, did create minimal forms of footwear for basic protection. 

The reality for most modern people is that they would benefit tremendously from minimal footwear but in low doses and gradually build strength in the foot and lower legs and let the body adapt over time. It’s not the answer most people want though. It can start by just walking around your house barefoot and going on walks on your local grass or turf field and slowly build from there. Build strength not just in your feet but your Achilles, ankles, tibialis, calves, etc.

If you’re doing this just to be healthier and develop over strength, check out knees over toes guy on YouTube as he does really lay out a solid progression that assists with all this stuff.

Be smart and best of luck with your journey. 

Real men wear wooden shoes.

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

I have a bare of vivos that I run in. I used to run around 15 miles a week before I was rock climbing so much. I'd definitely recommend it. It's quite a fun experience. You have to run like a ballerina (as in minimal heel striking) and it requires more work of your calves. You will get a serious increase in stress on the calves within your first week/couple months. Beware.

No matter what article somebody will cite regarding barefoot shoes being a scam, you can't deny the growth of toe splay many users often develop.

I'd also recommend them for weighted workouts, like endurance squats or weighted lunges so you can appropriately gauge and balance the holistic strength of your lower legs. Also good for jumping rope too. The only thing I haven't tried vivos doing is slacklining, but I'm not in a rush to do that, because it's already quite fun when barefoot.

I'd rather buy barefoot shoes and exercise in them for longevity's sake than not. My foot strength and balance has never been stronger. I can pistol squat quite easily now.

we are literally God's name, continuously pronouncing.

They are really good, activates all the small muscles in your feet and lets your toes spread spread like with a proper ape. I used to have very flat feet and walking sucked, I used some super thin barefoot shoes for a few years and now walking is much more comfortable and my calf muscles and the arch of my foot have strengthened. My balance also improved and I haven't had a twisted ankle despite walking in forests quite a lot. A twisted ankle was quite a common thing for me when using normal shoes. I also love how I can feel all the contours and bumps in the roads and all the roots and rocks under my feet in the forest, makes me feel good. Stepping on some roots or rocks can feel like a kind of massage for the foot.

But don't buy all the marketing hype, all these companies will overpromote the positives but not mention the possible negatives. You really can't jump into using them for long walks or runs after a lifetime of normal shoes, that's a recipe for injury. Gotta adjust slowly and adapt your walking style bit by bit. Patience. 

Also if they are not thin enough I think they can do more harm, I have a pair of Vivos, which is much thicker than another barefoot shoe I have and the Vivos can have me still taking long steps and putting lots of pressure on the heel, which is not possible with the thinner ones, as it would be painful to walk without properly spreading the impact all through the foot.

Also some of them look super weird with all the toe holes and stuff, but there are more and more decent looking options coming to the market. 

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

18 minutes ago, TheAlchemist said:

Also if they are not thin enough I think they can do more harm, I have a pair of Vivos, which is much thicker than another barefoot shoe I have and the Vivos can have me still taking long steps and putting lots of pressure on the heel, which is not possible with the thinner ones, as it would be painful to walk without properly spreading the impact all through the foot.

I agree with it. Kind of counterituitively, thicker barefoot sole makes walking less comfortable.

I actually ordered a pair of used vivo from revivo website so I aam curious jow they arr going to feel. 

I don't plan to use them for walking though, I specifically wanted to get a pair of used shoes which I could wear guilt free while hiking, running in rain and mud, etc. 

And I think that for running, especially on the ground, it should be less of an issue.

What model / brand do you like the most?

7 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

What model / brand do you like the most?

Best one for me has been Feelmax, more specifically this one. The model is called "Ounas". It's just 3mm thick and is super breathable so they also don't get smelly much at all. But I'm sure there are other models that exist with similiar qualities, just haven't come across them.  ounasblackbkmed.jpg

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse