Husseinisdoingfine

My education situation is ****ed, I'm scared and don't know what to do

14 posts in this topic

Greetings.

I currently just completed my third semester at Community College. Community College Associates Degrees are supposed to take only two years but I messed up, COVID was hard and I had to take an extra year. Before this final semester, I set a goal for myself that I was not gong to get a single C. The reason for this was because I had a 2.7 GPA, and I was hoping to boost it to at least a 3.0, to make my GPA more competitive for Universities.

I misused the syllabus one of my classes and got a D grade, I finished the semester with one D, two C's, and a B. My G.P.A. is expected to be 2.6.

I don't know what to do. Should I attend another semester of Community College? THREE AND A HALF YEARS FOR A DEGREE THAT'S ONLY SUPPOSED TO TAKE TWO (so I can retake the courses I got C's and D's in)? Or do I go to a lower level University, one that I originally did not want to attend as it has a lower national ranking, but has looser entrance standards and is more likely to accept me.

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

Just finish it. Afterwards you contemplate seriously about whats important for you in life

1 minute ago, Tetrapeter said:

Just finish it. 

Elaborate pls.

You're still young, so there's really no rush to head over to a University that you don't want to attend. Finish the semester only if you want to and expect that you'll get better grades. Then you can take the momentum of having done well in CC to University.

Edited by Yali

2 minutes ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Elaborate pls.

I dont know much about the american university system and about the Grades, but it seems like you are nearly there to have some kind of a degree and now struggling with some details about the grades and so on. Maybe i mistaken your post. But I just wanted to say, that just finish it, because it sounds like it dont take sooo much time, in contrast to the time you will have after the struggle.

Focus on improving your habits and schooling more consciously. You are smart enough. Just really do the work and contemplate what a good student does. and do that. I think it's important you do whatever it takes to build your foundation in life.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

In the first 5 minutes of this video, leo says that my grades don't matter. He says the same thing in the ''should you go to college'' video.

Does it really matter which University I go to?

2 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Does it really matter which University I go to?

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to go into something like consulting, investment banking, anything that will require some thing law school, med school, or a phd, then you really need to get a good gpa AND get into a top school or it's going to be a steep up hill climb. 

But if you're like most people and you don't want to do that, then honestly, you're best off with going to a school that you can afford and that fits you socially and academically. Your life isn't over lol. College isn't the best years of your life and there are good odds that this isn't going to be the greatest thing you will do in your life. It just feels very monumental when you're a teen/young adult because school is all you have known your entire life. Worst case scenario, you won't put your gpa on your resume. You don't need to put your associates and your bachelors. Once you graduate, just put your bachelors and that's it. No need to put both and write out the years you spent all together. Just pick out your highest qualification and put that on there. 

I would put more of an emphasis on getting involved on campus and/or getting a job or internship. Even if it is something like working retail, food service, or volunteering, just showing that you have customer service skills, are able to multitask, and work well with people shoud be enough for an entry level position so long as you're not applying to anything with a heavy technical background (in which case certifications + work experience > degrees). 

Edited by soos_mite_ah

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

What do you need this university degree for? How do you plan to use it?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

35 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

What do you need this university degree for? How do you plan to use it?

I’m getting a degree in physics so I can work in a laboratory.

College ain't real education. It's mostly survival. That's why you're freaking out.

I don't mean to shame you for anything. I wish you the best of luck.

Seems to me you should plan long term, what do you plan to use your degree for? is it necessary for your life purpose? if it is, then go for it

How real is this?

On 5/13/2023 at 8:14 AM, Husseinisdoingfine said:

I’m getting a degree in physics so I can work in a laboratory.

Gain practical knowledge from everything you learn. E.g. Internship.

Either you get the lab. job by passing exams that are exhausting and robotic or find jobs that are related to what you have been studying.

Edited by Understander