abhiraaid

[Mastery] Breaking Deep Rooted Patterns

6 posts in this topic

My question is how do you actually break habits or patterns without replacing them with another habit? On a fundamental level. This really intrigues me. Or no.. It's just fun breaking stuffs. 

Edited by abhiraaid

21 hours ago, abhiraaid said:

My question is how do you actually break habits or patterns without replacing them with another habit? On a fundamental level. This really intrigues me. Or no.. It's just fun breaking stuffs. 

So what are you going to do?

Do nothing.

Feel nothing.

Think nothing.

Yes you can break patterns by doing nothing or feel or think nothing.

On 5/4/2023 at 8:32 PM, abhiraaid said:

Just remove the stress and avoid stressful situations, because it's probably the root of all your habits. 

By becoming aware of choices that you make that do not align with the core of who you are.

Awareness Alone is Curative

When you stop identifying with something or you become aware of negative consequences you will simply drop these behaviours.

For example when I was 16 or so I stopped believing in "boredom" or that I could ever be bored again.

I have not been bored since that day.

Or I made the decision to not drink alcohol.

I just did it less and less.

You don't have to do something else instead, life just goes on.

Hm, good question. It seems to me that you have to experientially recognize yourself as the source of the behavior. You've got to grasp the origin of the action as you are doing it. Once you're clear on that, I presume that the action can be dropped since you'll be conscious of its origin. The issue is becoming conscious, in your experience, not just intellectually, that you're truly responsible for it. Whatever one does is something one decides to do, even if you say you don't want it. This principle must be contemplated.

Practice not doing something you're habituated to. This may be uncomfortable so start with something simple. Say your hand is itching and you don't scratch it. Contemplate the impulse to do something, catch it at its origin and drop it. Easier said than done. ;) 

Edited by UnbornTao