Hardkill

Can almost anyone pull themselves up by their own bootstraps in America?

27 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, zurew said:

There is a difference between giving advice to an individual vs doing politics / analysing what the structural and systemic problems are and how could we make the world better. If I talk to an individual there is almost no utility in talking about all the systemic problems that makes his life more hard or worse (I can acknowledge all that to be emphatetic, but that won't solve his problems and won't give him any tools that he can use to solve his problems), the best thing I can do is to give him a toolkit that he can use, so that he can make his life better.

On the other hand, we obviously shouldn't forget about the systemic issues. Its very clear already (based on a lot of empirical data), that if you grow up in a harsh environment,  you will have a much much lower chance and a much harder time to become a successful human being. Is there still a possibility that you can pull it off? Yes, but the question shouldn't be about whether it is possible, but should be about this: Given all the data about your past and current circumstances, how likely it is that you can pull it off? Do you have a 30-20-10% chance or you have a 0.002% chance? After that question we can also ask: is it reasonable to  hold to the same standard two different person: one person who has 0.002% chance and the other dude who is now successful, but he had 30% chance? Then after all that thinking we can come to the conclusion that it is very reasonable to consciously and carefully and thoughtfully build such structures and evironment that will produce better, more concious, more intelligent people in general.

Ok, that makes sense to me. Thank you.

12 hours ago, Hardkill said:

So, not everyone who is either poor or middle class or working class is able to become financially well off without sufficient intervention and regulation from the government?

Nothing is able to happen without sufficient intervention and regulation from the government.

Edited by aurum

On 1/5/2023 at 0:14 PM, UnbornTao said:

If not in the United States, where else?

In the dozens of other countries that not only on par with the US but better.

On 4/28/2023 at 10:22 PM, Hardkill said:

Why does America need to bother to seriously re structure its economy, education system, and laws, etc. if almost anyone in America can just put in the work themselves to get from rags to riches?

I hear this a lot.

while America does introduce less barriers than most countries, for many there are still barriers and can be very difficult still

America still has poverty, crime, abusive childhoods, lack of support systems, lack of good education, mental/physical health issues etc. 

Edited by Jacob Morres

Individuals can. You're an individual so that's good news for you. But the masses can never do that. The system depends on an army of poor wageslaves working overtime for penauts. If everyone did this actualized thing with not spending money on stupid shit, eating healthy home cooked food, and doing their best to get ahead in life and the system would colapse. There would be a huge recession since the economy depends on you spending your money on stupid shit and wageslaving your life away.

You can improve your situation with working hard, but that should not be a valid excuse for the system not growing and improving itself. In fact you should strive for being part of the solution once you manage to get ahead and get some power and influence. 

Immigrant + Single parent + Small ice cream business = still successful

The reason I keep bringing up immigrants is because they are essentially starting from 0

Take in the fact that United States is basically the best country to do business in, no strict European regulation, plenty of people, tourism & concentrated cities.

Asia & Africa are just way too poor, Europe is strict and lacks opportunity compared to United States. How many European startups/companies do you know of besides Ikea, LVMH companies & Volkswagen, I'll send you $10 right now if you can name 10. 

Edited by MarkKol

I can't speak for Americans but for humans in some degree. In my way through personal development I have found that most of the barriers towards an acceptable success (not being a billionaire) are quite internal. Fear to lose, fear to be played with, fear of people, fear of death, pain and so many others. Transcending each of those fears the doors open inside you and with them new opportunities. 

Yes, having a business is a basic human survival thing to do in these times but Leo is very entusiastic of that because it gives you an overall comprehension of the human world than just reading about it. Everything is business, everything cost something. So, how can your mind be completely loyal to reality without that experience? and how can you dedicate to contemplation without being financialy independent? exciting questions. 

And yes, we are privileged to be able to have some time to think and even sit down to listen to one of his videos. 

It's a combination of both actually. It's actually weird to see how everything, is actually, very fortuitous, to the extend of saying that luck is actually the main factor in every human life.