Basman

Amsterdam to build a "sex scraper" to combat over-tourism

6 posts in this topic

TLDR:

• Central Amsterdam gets millions of tourists all year round, who all tend to congregate around a very small area.
  • The local government wants to move the Red Light District and "centralize" Amsterdams prostitutes in a single mega brothel somewhere else in town.

As a Dutchy who has lived in Amsterdam Centrum, over-tourism is a huge problem for the local population and the city's culture. The goverment has worked for years to combat it, for example they once renamed the beach in Haarlem to "Amsterdam Beach" to draw tourists away. Or another example, they banned ads that target young british men (lads). The problem is, like previously mentioned, most tourist emass around a very small part of town. 

De wallen, or the Red Light District, doesn't necessarilly gain from the tourism as the crowds tends to make potential customers self-conscious. The prostitutes are not there to be entertaining to tourist but to feed their kids and pay off their student loans. They could potentially gain a lot more from centralization.

Edit: De Wallen especially suffers from being treated like a big playground by tourists. It is harder to form long-term relationships where the majority of people are by nature transient in the literal sense. Too many tourist is in of itself simply obnoxious to deal with it and it wears you down. You're constantly dealing oblivious people who struggle with basic traffick rules.

Thoughts?

Edited by Basman

I smell an amazing marketing opportunity to build the skyscraper as a giant penis, it would be easy to find at the very least.

hrhrhtewgfegege

13 hours ago, RebornConsciousness said:

Interesting. I guess they don't want to get rid off these "tourists" completely, they just want to concentrate them elsewhere, in one building, away from the more civilized places in town. Makes sense.

The problem is not that prostitution is too undignified for centrum. It is the tourists who are undignifying the city the local population. They turn centrum into a big sad mall. Also, it is false to think of the proposed areas to move the prostitutes as "far away". Theses places are not outskirts and they are relatively fast and easy to get to. The prostitutes are being proposed to get moved because their presence hypes up Amsterdam to an untenable level for the area.

The vast amounts of tourists that come to De Wallen aren't interested in buying sex (90% if not more). They are there to just "see it" in combination with the history and the architecture of the area. It is a tourist attraction. Centralizing the sex workers could help filter out the "chaff" who are there to just absent-mindedly look around, possibly help boost their income as well kill some of the hype of Amsterdam. 

@Basman

17 hours ago, Basman said:

TLDR:

• Central Amsterdam gets millions of tourists all year round, who all tend to congregate around a very small area.
  • The local government wants to move the Red Light District and "centralize" Amsterdams prostitutes in a single mega brothel somewhere else in town.

As a Dutchy who has lived in Amsterdam Centrum, over-tourism is a huge problem for the local population and the city's culture. The goverment has worked for years to combat it, for example they once renamed the beach in Haarlem to "Amsterdam Beach" to draw tourists away. Or another example, they banned ads that target young british men (lads). The problem is, like previously mentioned, most tourist emass around a very small part of town. 

De wallen, or the Red Light District, doesn't necessarilly gain from the tourism as the crowds tends to make potential customers self-conscious. The prostitutes are not there to be entertaining to tourist but to feed their kids and pay off their student loans. They could potentially gain a lot more from centralization.

Edit: De Wallen especially suffers from being treated like a big playground by tourists. It is harder to form long-term relationships where the majority of people are by nature transient in the literal sense. Too many tourist is in of itself simply obnoxious to deal with it and it wears you down. You're constantly dealing oblivious people who struggle with basic traffick rules.

Thoughts?

Seems like a good direction, but I also anticipate it'll be a bumpy ride.

7 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Basman

Always been bumpy ;)

9 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Basman

If they make the floating sex boat thing I'm gonna make it a habit of seesawing it every time I go there with my mates.

Edited by vindicated erudite