Something Funny

A colleague got a higher raise than me

6 posts in this topic

I was wandering whaat is the best way to approach this question with my management/hr.

We are each others backups and do literally the same tasks. We even share the same mailbox. The only reason his salary is currently higher is become he started 6 months later than me and his starting pay was higher due to the inflation.

I feel like it should have balanced out with raises.

An important note is that we are not allowed to discuss our wages so I want to approach this topic without referring directly to him.

2 hours ago, Something Funny said:

An important note is that we are not allowed to discuss our wages so I want to approach this topic without referring directly to him.

I mean, that's somewhat of a red flag to begin with. I don't discuss wages with my co-workers, but there is no rule saying we can't.

2 hours ago, Something Funny said:

We are each others backups and do literally the same tasks. We even share the same mailbox. The only reason his salary is currently higher is become he started 6 months later than me and his starting pay was higher due to the inflation.

I feel like it should have balanced out with raises.

I mean depending on the actual pay difference, a 6 month experience gap could definitely account for it.

But if you want to fix this, your only option is to directly ask for a raise and say you feel you are not being payed as much as you should. Maybe do some research on the best ways to ask for a pay raise.

21 minutes ago, something_else said:

I mean depending on the actual pay difference, a 6 month experience gap could definitely account for it.

But that's the funny thing. I have 6 months more experience than him. But because he started later, starting wages were higher because the company needed to stay competitive due to inflation.

According to their system, if I applied to the same position right now, as a total noob, I would get a higher salary simply because of the market changes.

@something_else the guy is literally my backup. When he came here, I was the one who taught him everything. And I still have lower salary than him.

28 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

But that's the funny thing. I have 6 months more experience than him. But because he started later, starting wages were higher because the company needed to stay competitive due to inflation.

According to their system, if I applied to the same position right now, as a total noob, I would get a higher salary simply because of the market changes.

Ah, sorry, I misread your original post. In that case yea, something is up. Companies will pull shit like this and then tell you you're not allowed to discuss salary for this exact reason.

You should ask for more money.

Ask for more money, they will give it. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?