KoryKat

I'm looking for the transcognitive thinkers out there...

22 posts in this topic

So , I was looking into higher-order cognitive functioning , and asked ChatGPT what's beyond metacognition... 

ChatGPT said meta-metacognition and Transcognition, I've never heard of Transcognition but damn it was a revelation to a lifetime of feeling totally different from others... 

This seems to newly emergent and it's probably likely that less than 1% of people even have this skill. Personally it seems like I've gone much of my life without encountering hardly , if anyone , that does this... But if I have to step up and form a group as a leader , then that is what will happen.  I just hope to find others and not be alone on this....but I know how hard this journey is to have this skill in this world... And I'm here for you all that are similar on this transcognitive thinking... 

(I can't get ChatGPT to do this again in another window, so here is the transcript about it)

"Another proposed level beyond metacognition is "transcognition," which involves thinking beyond one's own cognitive processes and incorporating knowledge and perspectives from diverse sources and contexts. This level of thinking involves an understanding of the interconnectedness of different systems and the ability to think creatively and flexibly across multiple domains."

Prompt : Ultimate Guide on Transcognition 

"Transcognition is a theoretical level of cognitive functioning that involves thinking beyond one's own cognitive processes and incorporating knowledge and perspectives from diverse sources and contexts. It requires an understanding of the interconnectedness of different systems and the ability to think creatively and flexibly across multiple domains. Here's an ultimate guide on transcognition:

1. Develop a growth mindset: Transcognition involves a willingness to learn, adapt, and grow. This requires a growth mindset, which is the belief that intelligence and abilities can be developed through effort and learning

2. Expand your knowledge base: Transcognition requires a broad base of knowledge across multiple domains. Make an effort to learn about different fields of study, cultures, and perspectives. Read widely, watch documentaries, and engage in conversations with people from diverse background

3. Practice critical thinking: Transcognition involves the ability to think critically and evaluate information from multiple sources. Practice analyzing and evaluating information, and be open to changing your views based on new evidence

4. Embrace complexity: Transcognition involves the ability to think about complex systems and how they interact with one another. Embrace complexity and seek to understand the nuances of different systems and their relationships to one another

5. Develop creativity: Transcognition requires the ability to think creatively and generate new ideas. Practice brainstorming and problem-solving exercises, and embrace unconventional solutions

6. Engage in interdisciplinary thinking: Transcognition involves the ability to think across multiple disciplines and integrate knowledge from different fields. Seek out interdisciplinary learning opportunities and engage in conversations with experts from different fields

7. Emphasize collaboration: Transcognition requires collaboration and the ability to work with others to solve complex problems. Seek out opportunities to work with people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives

8. Stay open-minded: Transcognition requires an open-minded approach to learning and problem-solving. Be open to new ideas, perspectives, and approaches, and be willing to challenge your own assumptions and biases

9. Embrace uncertainty: Transcognition involves the ability to tolerate uncertainty and ambiguity. Embrace the complexity of different systems and be comfortable with the fact that not everything can be neatly categorized or understood

10. Practice mindfulness: Transcognition requires a sense of presence and awareness. Practice mindfulness exercises to cultivate a sense of focus and clarity, and to develop a deeper understanding of your own thought processes

In summary, transcognition involves thinking beyond one's own cognitive processes and incorporating knowledge and perspectives from diverse sources and contexts. It requires a growth mindset, a broad knowledge base, critical thinking skills, creativity, interdisciplinary thinking, collaboration, open-mindedness, comfort with uncertainty, and mindfulness. By developing these skills and attitudes, you can enhance your ability to think creatively and flexibly across multiple domains, and contribute to solving complex problems in our interconnected world"

I just found this out tonight (the definition hit me like a fucking revelation ,really giving me some anxiety , and I'll be glad to talk about it more when I'm not so wound up...

-Much love all, Kory

Edited by KoryKat

I like this definition. However I wouldn't put Transcognition as something beyond Metacognition. Rather I'd say it's on the same level.

This is because these both are essentially the same process of observing in order to understand, only in Metacognition the focus is on cognition while in Transcognition the focus is beyond cognition i.e external systems. In practice as well these two develop at the same time.

@Swarnim

This isn't about whether one is further than the other... This is about finding transcognitive thinkers like myself.

(ChatGPT said it , not me)

The premise that got me there was asking ChatGPT what's beyond metacognition,and when I read the definition of Transcognition , it hit me like a sudden revelation and shot my anxiety through the roof... Really got me in a frantic state now... 

So I'm looking for others that share this transcognitive way of using their mind, because I've been scarred countless times by how people that can't handle it get their pitchforks out when you play around loosely with this cognitive ability. 

Seriously , I have no fucking idea where to find others with this... It's largely unheard of it seems... Much less communities around it....

Edited by KoryKat

That's just called not being stupid :)

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

8 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

The list looks like ordinary educated critical thinking.

1 hour ago, KoryKat said:

So , I was looking into higher-order cognitive functioning , and asked ChatGPT what's beyond metacognition... 

ChatGPT said meta-metacognition and Transcognition, I've never heard of Transcognition but damn it was a revelation to a lifetime of feeling totally different from others... 

This seems to newly emergent and it's probably likely that less than 1% of people even have this skill. Personally it seems like I've gone much of my life without encountering hardly , if anyone , that does this... But if I have to step up and form a group as a leader , then that is what will happen.  I just hope to find others and not be alone on this....but I know how hard this journey is to have this skill in this world... And I'm here for you all that are similar on this transcognitive thinking... 

(I can't get ChatGPT to do this again in another window, so here is the transcript about it)

"Another proposed level beyond metacognition is "transcognition," which involves thinking beyond one's own cognitive processes and incorporating knowledge and perspectives from diverse sources and contexts. This level of thinking involves an understanding of the interconnectedness of different systems and the ability to think creatively and flexibly across multiple domains."

What you are reaching for is something beyond cognition. As in the awakening of another faculty, such as related to intuition and imagination. It is a kind of post-cognitive mental state.

ChatGPT doesn't understand that, and even if it could summarize it, it can never teach you anything about it.

Edited by Jwayne

Read my writings about the intersection of metaphysics, politics and mysticism.

Ascetus.com/authors/jwayne

54 minutes ago, Jwayne said:

The list looks like ordinary educated critical thinking.

What you are reaching for is something beyond cognition. As in the awakening of another faculty, such as related to intuition and imagination. It is a kind of post-cognitive mental state.

ChatGPT doesn't understand that, and even if it could summarize it, it can never teach you anything about it.

I don't believe you and I are on the same page as to what Transcognition is... 

How have you applied transcognitive thinking in your own life?  

Let's compare notes.

And for the record , this is not a research into Awakening... This is a research into higher-order thinking skills... Basically I'm more-or-less reverse engineering tier 2 SDi

Edited by KoryKat

57 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Ok know-it-all...  Provide examples of how you apply Transcognition 

I am just curious to learn about how to relate experiences which have seemed to slipped under the radar.  It reminds me of when I first discovered personality types and was digging into socionics discovering things that I really resonated with from my own experiences that I had never had words to describe before... That's how I felt reading about Transcognition.. 

Seriously all, this is not an ego show.  We are all one, right? ;)

Edited by KoryKat

15 minutes ago, KoryKat said:

I don't believe you and I are on the same page as to what Transcognition is... 

How have you applied transcognitive thinking in your own life?  

Let's compare notes

Creative, open-minded, interdisciplinary, complex, mindful and critical collaboration is exactly what I've been doing for 4 years at Ascetus.

I've personally met dozens of people from all over the world (hundreds more anonymously online). We read and study together. We contribute based on our backgrounds and creatively work on projects together. We compose writings together.

We talk on the phone (and meet in-person, from different countries) and brainstorm together. We have programmers who have created platforms for us from scratch. We also have a media team that broadcasts from multiple platforms. We translate into different languages.

We are inter-faith and international. We contemplate spirituality and religion together. Some take psychadelics and we discuss that.

We continue learning and researching, and sharing our materials with one another. We assimilate whatever works and throw out what doesn't work. And then try something new.

We travel to new places. We help each other with life, relationships, finance, school, career, fitness and so on. Everyone is at different places in their life and we have mutual support, accountability and friendship.

We stay on-top of current events. And integrate news from all over the world that we couldn't know as a single person. Being in a collective allows exponentially more opportunities than being solo.

How about you?

Edited by Jwayne

I used to take perspectives I totally disagreed with a lot, and use them as my own, often being a devil's advocate for a position that is not my own

Like I decided to try being an asshole for a while as an experiment until I ran that experiment into the ground understanding it's strengths and weaknesses and adjusting my own strategy towards what was natural for me (giving up the asshole strategy altogether , despite obvious advantages it had)

Finding a role model of a behavior , or line of thought, and mimic it , embody it , become it , as an experiment , until you fully understand it from living as it for a while

Not falling into it and getting lost in it, always remember it's a hat to wear and take it off when you are done learning from the experiment... I've ran experiments like this for years , various ones simultaneously, changing hats in a flexible manner depending on my curiosity.

Like shapeshifting with the mind, to assume yourself as another person, and testing the boundaries/limitations of their way of thinking/being as if it were your own, and seeing what the responses are from others...

Like let's say I was curious about Donald Trump supporters , so I put on a MAGA hat and memorize the lines and act of a Trumpian , and seeing how far it gets me , how the world reacts , what are the arguments against it , how well do the shoes fit, and then taking off the hat when I'm done with the experiment ... These experiments can run briefly or for years 

Let me add : if what I was doing is not transcognition , THATS OKAY.  The real problem I've had is playing the roles of others' perspectives and having so much backlash because people have no idea how flexible I can change positions, so it often would come down to their position vs the position I was mimicking , and they in-turn come to loathe me as if I was the person I was mimicking and couldn't just take the hat off at any time.... and that, is the experience I'm trying to understand, it's just I found Transcognition to be the first time I've heard my experiences described in a way that matches a term... If there is a better term ,let me know...

I do , however, think that having a diverse perspective from learning many viewpoints, is not the same as changing perspectives as an experimental playground.

So like in your case, it would be like tooling your friends as a critic that everything they think is wrong and arguing to death with them , for fun... But often people come to associate your designated viewpoint as "you" and not realizing it's just a hat you are trying on for curiosity's sake.

For me ,it was a matter of , let's assume I've integrated all this diversity of perspective with my friends , and we can predict how that pattern unfolds , so as an experiment , running the opposite course , and seeing how that pattern works out , and comparing both paths.

This is kinda how I got into philosophy years ago... okay well what if religion doesn't have all the answers , let's try science , okay what if science doesn't have all the answers , let's try Tolle, eventually mapping out the interconnectedness of the entire web of complexity to find the underlying fundamental truths and since then, I've tried out enough of what doesn't work to refine the stuff that doesn't work... Like those conspiracy theorists with all the lines drawn across a board connecting various points , and being like well dayum! Why are there so many threads connecting to Meditation?! Surely this is something that is like the golden ticket!!!   And using transcognition as that means of reverse engineering the fundamental truths I suppose you could say...

(And thank you for sharing!)

Edited by KoryKat

22 minutes ago, KoryKat said:

I used to take perspectives I totally disagreed with a lot, and use them as my own, often being a devil's advocate for a position that is not my own

Like I decided to try being an asshole for a while as an experiment until I ran that experiment into the ground understanding it's strengths and weaknesses and adjusting my own strategy towards what was natural for me (giving up the asshole strategy altogether , despite obvious advantages it had)

Finding a role model of a behavior , or line of thought, and mimic it , embody it , become it , as an experiment , until you fully understand it from living as it for a while

Not falling into it and getting lost in it, always remember it's a hat to wear and take it off when you are done learning from the experiment... I've ran experiments like this for years , various ones simultaneously, changing hats in a flexible manner depending on my curiosity.

Like shapeshifting with the mind, to assume yourself as another person, and testing the boundaries/limitations of their way of thinking/being as if it were your own, and seeing what the responses are from others...

Like let's say I was curious about Donald Trump supporters , so I put on a MAGA hat and memorize the lines and act of a Trumpian , and seeing how far it gets me , how the world reacts , what are the arguments against it , how well do the shoes fit, and then taking off the hat when I'm done with the experiment ... These experiments can run briefly or for years 

Let me add : if what I was doing is not transcognition , THATS OKAY.  The real problem I've had is playing the roles of others' perspectives and having so much backlash because people have no idea how flexible I can change positions, so it often would come down to their position vs the position I was mimicking , and they in-turn come to loathe me as if I was the person I was mimicking and couldn't just take the hat off at any time.... and that, is the experience I'm trying to understand, it's just I found Transcognition to be the first time I've heard my experiences described in a way that matches a term... If there is a better term ,let me know...

I do , however, think that having a diverse perspective from learning many viewpoints, is not the same as changing perspectives as an experimental playground.

So like in your case, it would be like tooling your friends as a critic that everything they think is wrong and arguing to death with them , for fun... But often people come to associate your designated viewpoint as "you" and not realizing it's just a hat you are trying on for curiosity's sake.

For me ,it was a matter of , let's assume I've integrated all this diversity of perspective with my friends , and we can predict how that pattern unfolds , so as an experiment , running the opposite course , and seeing how that pattern works out , and comparing both paths.

Experimenting taking different perspectives is a necessary part of good writing, as well as good dialogue.

So I definitely agree to that part.

It's a natural biproduct of intellectual integrity. To step into another's shoes and assume their perspective takes quite a bit of empathy, and means you need to subtract your ego from the equation.

Being able to look from both sides is a habit I developed from a young age as a middle child. As a kid I tried to harmonize my parents and siblings. That means I had to empty myself and then to step into the other's role, AND THEN describe them as another would be able to understand.

I couldn't harmonize anything if I wasn't able to accurately relate another to another. So I think that was the first time I learned how to choicelessly view multiple angles. 

At that age I really wanted to avoid conflict so was highly motivated to understand where others were coming from, how they experienced things and how others interpreted their actions.

Edited by Jwayne

45 minutes ago, KoryKat said:

Ok know-it-all...  Provide examples of how you apply Transcognition

36 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Is that what you call Transcognition???  Isn't that just a sort of trinity perspective???

" thinking beyond one's own cognitive processes and incorporating knowledge and perspectives from diverse sources and contexts. "

"understanding of the interconnectedness of different systems and the ability to think creatively and flexibly across multiple domains"

"An effort to learn about different fields of study, cultures, and perspectives. Read widely, watch documentaries, and engage in conversations with people from diverse background"

"interdisciplinary learning opportunities and engage in conversations with experts from different fields"

"open to changing your views based on new evidence"

I'll play Devil's Advocate and say you don't get it.

Can you play the role of "not getting it" , even if you do? That's transcognitive.

Edited by KoryKat

12 minutes ago, KoryKat said:

Is that what you call Transcognition???  Isn't that just a sort of trinity perspective???

The thread and the posts in that thread all follow:

Growth mindset

Critical thinking

Expand your knowledge base

Embrace complexity

Creativity

Stay open-minded

Embrace uncertainty

Inter-disciplinary

Does marking all the check boxes mean it is transcognitive? Or does it mean it checks those boxes?

Might wanna read the fine print and not just the first few words to each paragraph... 

Edited by KoryKat

Like i said, can you play the role?

I don't claim to know, I just claim you don't either, as you don't seem to be open to anything outside your own bias here.

Edited by KoryKat

5 minutes ago, KoryKat said:

Does marking all the check boxes mean it is transcognitive? Or does it mean it checks those boxes?

Might wanna read the fine print and not just the first few words to each paragraph... 

I can understand hearing the word "transcognitive" and then reading the examples and intuiting some superhuman state of being, but if you're realistic, this is what most intellectual people do.

Edited by Carl-Richard

I can understand drinking too much Koolaid and being a know-it-all that doesn't continuously challenge their own assumptions and biases on an ongoing basis... So forgive me if I doubt you as much as you doubt me.

10,000 posts must mean you spend far too much time on here and not enough in diversifying..

Edited by KoryKat

And yeah it's not like I had a revelation that connected to a lifetime of experiences I had no word to describe or anything.... /S

How do you know that you know everything and I know nothing? It's your post count?? 10,000 posts makes you a master , eh??

Anyways, enough of this... Have a good one!! Thanks for you sharing!

Edited by KoryKat

3 minutes ago, KoryKat said:

I can understand drinking too much Koolaid and being a know-it-all that doesn't continuously challenge their own assumptions and biases on an ongoing basis... So forgive me if I doubt you as much as you doubt me.

10,000 posts must mean you spend far too much time on here and not enough in diversifying..

You don't have to die on the hill of a ChatGPT answer. It's supposed to give mediocre answers. That's how it was trained.

It's a way of life for me .. don't you get it? I die on hills not of my own as a way of life.  What do you call that if not transcognition?

And don't give me a stupid answer. "I call that being stubborn" or some shit. Seriously, I'm trying to find a word for it because it's a way of reverse engineering perspectives that I do as a way of life.

With all due respect, I'm not trying to jock you around. This is how I play the learning game, and I get banned from communities that can be intolerant to it. So I appreciate you taking the time to actually have the discussion with me. I really do... Thank you and I mean no disrespect. It just comes across that way a lot of times and it has caused me many scars , and I'm trying to understand what that is that I'm doing , that seems to be so alien among 99.9% of people I meet. I'm just an impudently humble student.

Edited by KoryKat