UpperMaster

How good is the ideas presented in book THE WAY OF THE SUPERIOR MAN?

12 posts in this topic

"The Way of the Superior Man" by David Deida is certainly not your run-of-the-mill personal development book. It offers a fresh perspective on the relationship between the masculine and feminine, and how a man can embody his masculinity in a way that is authentic and fulfilling. 

I have read this book twice but almost all the advice is counter intuitive. It also has different advice on purpose, saying that there are several purpose layers for ones life. It also has advice on having a good relationship with fear, befriending it. I have no idea what that means. 

Is this book any good?  Is this a book I should follow? It has very counter intuitive advice about literally everything and I don't know if I should follow it.

Someone please let me know 

One of the best out there.

I dont find any contradictions, and I have read/listen to the book dozens of times.

Dont just read it.

Read 1-2 similar chapters at a time and contemplate on them.

Find ways to apply them.

Look for your blindspots.

With time and life experiencie, when your level of consciousness increases, the things that confuses you now will seem obvious.

Happened to me. When I read it the first time 6-7 years ago only got a small porcentage of the real value of the book.

@koops Yea a bunch people say that, me personally I dont understand most of the things in there.

But yea Il try my best to follow as per my understanding of life, but I will reread it aswell

thanks for response

It's great advice. A must-read for every masculine man.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Definitely a worthwhile book. I don’t see how the advice is that counter intuitive, at least my impression was that I already knew much of what is talked about in it from other developmental practices. It actually started out a bit stale because it made so much sense to the state I was in at the time. It was great to see many intuitions or partial understandings I already had get synthesized all in one place by a skilled author. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

I asked my therapist about this she hadn’t read it but had heard from others that it’s a bit egotistical and adolescent 

@Leo Gura @BipolarGrowth @koops

That's really interesting that you didn't find it counter intuitive. Me personally everything is somewhat new.  I am most confused about the concept of being at your "edge". I know this wasn't the original question, but to all that understand the book, what does "edge" mean? Is it comfort zone? Why does he say don't go too far outside "edge" but stay near it.

I'd really appreciate it if someone clarifies

@UpperMaster Hi - thanks for starting this thread. It is a great book, I've read it once. To me, yeah the "edge" is a comfort zone thing or maybe even a fear thing. We should always be trying to peel back the edge of this fear envelope just a little bit... just a little bit... This is how you grow as a man.. But you don't want to rip the envelope open.. this could cause you to fall flat on your face and then hide in the corner of your room for a while. You don't want that. Peel the envelope back slowly. Always at your edge, pushing yourself, just a little bit.. each and every day.. each and every moment. 

You could also relate it to having sex too... As a man you want to get to just the edge of ejaculation.. then breathe the sexual energy away from the genitals, or pull out if you have to... then get back to your edge and do the same thing again. If you do this 10, 12 times, the orgasm will be that much better. 

Cheers. 

@UpperMaster not having read the book myself I’m not exactly sure haha but my feeling is just that there would be more developed people to learn from, one of her male therapist read it and said it made his ego bigger 

One of the best books. It's one I reread almost every year because as I gain experience in the real world, increasing layers of depth come out of the book. It's very worthwhile. There are no contradictions in it.