Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shawn Philips

Feeling guilty when spending in hobbies

3 posts in this topic

I've been living a frugal minimalist lifestyle to save up money for my future life-purpose business. I drive an old car, almost never buy clothes and try to spend the bare minimum.

My hobbies are everything related to computers, technology, painting... and ultimate I'm very interested in trying the AI art creation so I'm thinking to buy a new computer because my actual one is 11yo.

For running AI softwares like Stable diffusion is necessary a expensive graphics card. So I'm feeling guilty for spending so much money in it.

Also I'm feeling incongruent because I've been living for 5 years since I decided my LP commited to a "cheap" lifestyle and I feel that I'm sabotaging my life purpose for a ego derived hobby.

It's understable that I'll redeem the cost of the PC for more than 11 years of usage but the guilt doesnt go away.

Any tip please?

Edited by Shawn Philips

You’re sabotaging yourself by letting your LP get in the way of what you want to do. What you set as your life purpose can change over time, no one is forcing you to pick one thing and stick to it for the rest of your life. You make that rule for yourself. To me this way of thinking is very similar to dogmatic religions. 

Just be flexible and do whatever you want at the moment.  Buy that GPU if you want to. Fill your house with technological gadgets and use them to inspire people, bring something new into this world. It’s not that important. You’re not bound to anything.